Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parents..

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

On a semi-related note (maybe a bit of a squeeze): "Mandatory sex education classes for 14-year-olds anger Muslim immigrants in Sweden"

It's nearly an inverse of our problem, secular schools teaching something religious folks don't want their children to hear. Traditionally parents were able to opt their children out of sex education, but now it looks like they mightn't be able any more.

Those lovable Swedes and their liberal ways eh :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I thought this line was funny:
    "All students have the right to take part in the compulsory school education..."

+1 to loving those Swedes, though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

pts wrote: »
    secular schools teaching something religious folks don't want their children to hear. Traditionally parents were able to opt their children out of sex education, but now it looks like they mightn't be able any more.
    Nuthin' wrong with that -- instead of learning it inside a nice clean classroom with a known curriculum delivered by a trained teacher, kids of islamic parents can learn all about sex by attending the practicals behind the bike sheds.

Hands-on is much better, innit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

~me~ wrote: »
    but we dont want her to have any imposed link with the church until she asks for it. including baptism. stubborn i know but its how we feel.
    I agree with you entirely. My kids aren't baptised. We had then enrolled in Celbridge Educate Together and then luckily we got involved in opening the Maynooth one. If we hadn't got places in either our only other option was the girls NS which I didn't really consider an option.
    Dades wrote: »
    Whether you can "opt your kids out" of RE in primary school.
    Or is it just a case of be quiet in the corner you heathens...?
    You can. While schools can refuse to admit non-catholics once you're in you can opt-out.
    20goto10 wrote: »
    Can I ask what you plan to do when it comes to secondary school? I'm open to correction but I don't think there is a non religious school in the country.

VEC schools, Comprehensive schools and hopefullly Educate Together secondary schools

Macros42 wrote: »
    Educate Together secondary schools
    With snowflake in tow, I dropped out to one of the south-side ET schools this morning and good heavens, it's nothing at all like the grim Presentation Convent that I started off in.

Congrats to all concerned for creating a place that was bright, cheerful, friendly, multi-racial and conspicuously lacking both extensive religious ornamentation and the bible-black women who moved up and down the old, dark corridors like frustrated pepper-pots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

robindch wrote: »
    With snowflake in tow

Aww :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

pts wrote: »
    On a semi-related note (maybe a bit of a squeeze): "Mandatory sex education classes for 14-year-olds anger Muslim immigrants in Sweden"

It's nearly an inverse of our problem, secular schools teaching something religious folks don't want their children to hear. Traditionally parents were able to opt their children out of sex education, but now it looks like they mightn't be able any more.

Those lovable Swedes and their liberal ways eh :D

We had a similar issue here a few years back when some people voiced opposition to the Stay Safe programme in primary schools on the basis that it undermined 'family values'.

Mod note -
    Zillah wrote: »
    Aww :)
    Blatant attempts to curry favor with the moderators will not only be tolerated, but thoroughly encouraged too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

robindch wrote: »
    With snowflake in tow
    That could well be her nickname (in a multicultural classroom) ;) I have doubts whether my child would fit in in a multicultural classroom. From a cultural and religious view point. They may not teach culture or religion in the school but its a bit naive to think its not a factor in a school that is made up of largely non Irish kids, some of which will be from a strict religion. As oppossed to going to a Catholic school where the reality of the situation is the majority don't really care about religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

20goto10 wrote: »
    That could well be her nickname (in a multicultural classroom) ;) I have doubts whether my child would fit in in a multicultural classroom. From a cultural and religious view point. They may not teach culture or religion in the school but its a bit naive to think its not a factor in a school that is made up of largely non Irish kids, some of which will be from a strict religion. As oppossed to going to a Catholic school where the reality of the situation is the majority don't really care about religion.

nowadays even catholic schools are multicultural, the kids just get baptised for a place. i dont see anything wrong with a multicultural classroom especially with regards to religion, its best a child knows of all religions rather than just the dominant one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement