Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€90

Options
  • 27-06-2009 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

€90 for chipping 1 JRT dog and nail clipping 2 JRT dogs. Seems a tad expensive. Am I wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

I would say so, but it depends on where you're located....I know Dublin vets charge a lot more than non-Dubs.
    I have 4 dogs, I enquired about chipping them at my vet here in Shannon and he said he'd do all 4 for €100.

I'm fairly sure he's giving me a discount as I know him well and have given plenty of business to his clinic! So I'm not sure how much it would normally cost in a big city vet practice.....

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

The vet we use is in County Kildare, the southern part of the county!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

thats expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

When my dog was chipped, I think the vet did it while she was being spayed, so she could be under anaesthetic. Does this chip-'n'-clip deal involve anaesthetic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

The vet we use is in County Kildare, the southern part of the county!
    Where abouts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

It's the Kilcullen area in Kildare. There was no anaesthetic involved. Whole lot took approx. ten minutes.

Was I ripped off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well, I can't recall exactly, but I thought micro-chipping costs around €50 or so?
    So €40 for nail clipping two dogs does seem a bit much (IMO) because I know my vet clipped my dogs nails when we went in for a checkup and I'm not sure it was really put on the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

It's the Kilcullen area in Kildare. There was no anaesthetic involved. Whole lot took approx. ten minutes.

Was I ripped off?

Well as Star-Pants says,it could well have been the nail clippings that jacked up the price.I would advise you to clip the nails yourself.That's what I do.You can get nail clippers in a hardware or general store for about €8-€10 . . . . You should only clip a tiny bit off the nails as if you clip to much it hurts the dog and they start to bleed . . . clip bit by bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

Our vet is in phibsborough and cost for micro chipping is 40 euro, we got our puppies nails trimming then also and were charged 15 for nail cutting.
    We've been told nail clipping in future would be done via a consultation which costs 40 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That's pricey. On average a microchip is €40 to €50 at the moment depending where you go. Nail clipping takes two minutes they should of charged just a little for that since you were getting something else done as well. It's roughly a fiver for a guinea pig and they are much more awkward to nail clip than dogs but I would expect not to pay more than a fiver to have a dogs nails clipped it's such a simple and quick and basic thing for a vet to be asked to do.

I leave that to the groomer though usually only the collies dew claw that needs a clip so they do that when she's being groomed. They don't really charge extra for it's just part of the whole service.

Aldi are selling grooming kits at the moment it comes with a nail clippers it seems to be an ok nail clippers do the job anyway, haven't tried it out yet must do. Was €6.99 in Aldi for the nail clippers, brushes etc. Thought it wasn't bad value, not proffesional stuff but it's only for general upkeep anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement