Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pride Decade

Options
  • 27-06-2009 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

I found this documentary online recently when I was trying to find fights and events from Pride. It's a bit long but if you liked Pride or would like to learn a bit more about what Pride was like it's well worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQ0V8TcyvY&feature=channel_page

While talking about Pride does anyone recommend any Pride events worth watching?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Beautiful doc

About recommending shows any list will be long and varied as that is the reason why PRIDE is fondly remembered but the first few are ropey tho:

Id recommend:

Pride 25 & 28

2003 Middleweight GP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Most of them are worth watching from about 2000 on around Pride 10 or so i guess or maybe a little before that ?

There would a great number of fighters you would recognise , as Rovert said the earlier ones where a bit iffy though..

full list of events here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pride_events
    SPOILER WARNING - if you click into the event to see the fights that took place dont scroll down past it as it gives the results there too.

Was there ever a good best of DVD?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hellsing

The best Pride event imo, is Bushido 9. Great fights top to bottom including Gomi/Kawajiri, one of the best lightweight fights ever

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

Thanks for the replies lads I'll start checking out the events. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭soretoe

thanks for the link - great doc
    my god pride ruled - I remember the exitement of downloading the latest cropcop fight or whatever and screaming at the screen even though it was a week ago - just had something UFC has never had - there was a always a feeling of two warriors going to war in pride that ufc could never top IMO

• Advertisement

soretoe wrote: »
    thanks for the link - great doc
    my god pride ruled - I remember the exitement of downloading the latest cropcop fight or whatever and screaming at the screen even though it was a week ago - just had something UFC has never had - there was a always a feeling of two warriors going to war in pride that ufc could never top IMO

And openings like this:

Beats fellas talking in black and white any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Excellent documentary!Wanderlai was a savage back in the day. Are there any mma promotions still operating in Japan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Excellent documentary!Wanderlai was a savage back in the day. Are there any mma promotions still operating in Japan?

seriously

Dream, K1

Last few Dreams have been pretty good, well worth tracking down.
    Last K1-max event was excellent!!!!! next ones is on the 13th iirc.

Also there is another one called Sengoku (world victory road) which is an mma event those have been hit and miss for my money some good some not great.

They just aint pride though are they? Pride was definitely unique.

calex71 wrote: »
    Last few Dreams have been pretty good, well worth tracking down.
    Last K1-max event was excellent!!!!! next ones is on the 13th iirc.

Also there is another one called Sengoku (world victory road) which is an mma event those have been hit and miss for my money some good some not great.

They just aint pride though are they? Pride was definitely unique.

They aren’t, you will probably never seen another promotion like PRIDE given the unique mixture of elements such as Pro Wrestling being so much part of the culture for decades at that point which set the promotional ground work and all that talent at most of their peaks coalescing in the same place & time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

What Pride did well was stack the cards and allow head kicks/stomps

I think the UFC puts the show together better in regards the production of what we see with pre fight interviews etc..

UFC doesn't allow as many cans in. But is a bit too pedendant on american fighters for my liking.

I was always a bigger fan of pride than the UFC but the UFC has defo got better since pride went down.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

Ya Wanderlei was unbeaten for almost 5 years at 205, while he was in PRIDE.:eek:

I would love to see him string together a few wins at 185, and get back the confidence he had when he ruled PRIDE. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

ollieo wrote: »
    Ya Wanderlei was unbeaten for almost 5 years at 205, while he was in PRIDE.:eek:

I would love to see him string together a few wins at 185, and get back the confidence he had when he ruled PRIDE. :D

Agreed he is fans favorite love his attack attack style & I would love to see him string a few wins togethor. Although if you look at his facial appearance now he is carrying alot of scar tissue & you can see the man has been hit quiet a few times.Ad that with when you hear him speak it seems to be quiet slowed down. A bit like if not as bad as Evander Holyfield.Considering the hits he has taken it might be better for him along with the big Nog to call it a day. Nothing worse than seeing a fighter go past their sell by date & then get creamed.

ollieo wrote: »

Well some of that confidence may have come from fighting in a non drug tested environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

rovert wrote: »
    Well some of that confidence may have come from fighting in a non drug tested environment.

I was waiting for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Wanderlei hasnt looked the same since the cro cop fight. He bulked up for that fight immensly and seemed to lose a lot of his speed and ferocity because of it. Getting Ktfo a few times hasnt helped him either.

only saw that wandi v crocop fight again yesterday, wandi was 223 going into that, cro cop fighting a smart countering game and wandi getting a bit wild after getting cuts and swollen eye early and a long check by the doc's all added to that i think, but he did get ktfo by cro cops trademark head kick .

Actually that was the 2006 GP wasnt it , well worth checking that out if folks havent seen it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Campbell M

When i went home to Australia for a holiday in 2002 i picked up pride 1 to 8 and the GP for about 5 euros each on VHS. Awesome. I always preferred Pride to be honest.

Also got alot of the early UFC's for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Jason Mc wrote: »
    What Pride did well was stack the cards and allow head kicks/stomps

Was never a fan of head kicks and stomps to a grounded opponent. They also allowed knees to the top of the head too, which I'm not a fan of.

Other than that though, they were an excellent promotion and was amazing to see 60,000 at an MMA event almost a decade ago.

Art of War has the potential to become just as big as Pride was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Art of War[/URL] has the potential to become just as big as Pride was though.

I don't see how. PRIDE had a ready made audience for what they did and it was already a part of the culture before they came along. Totally different with Art of War

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Fozzy wrote: »
    I don't see how. PRIDE had a ready made audience for what they did and it was already a part of the culture before they came along. Totally different with Art of War

They have a weekly TV show going to 200 million homes. The potential to be huge is definitely there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

They have a weekly TV show going to 200 million homes. The potential to be huge is definitely there.

There's a lot of shows that have close to that sort of potential audience, but it means nothing if they aren't watching, which is what I've read is the case with Art of War. They have an average of three shows a year and their highest attendance was 6,000. Their fighters mostly aren't skilled in every range, relying on what they originally trained in. I don't see anything there that suggests that they could suddenly become extremely popular

Yes they DO!!!!!! that 200,000,000 is exactly the population of China, NZ and Austrailia in which they broadacst :D

Advertisement