Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for a saddle?

Options
  • 27-06-2009 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi there, I have finally found a suitable horse horse for myself and am going to drive to Old Mill Saddlery to get a saddle fitted. They are so much cheaper in the north. I was just wondering as anyone had any experience of the Prestige saddle or have any recommendation for me. I have saved up quite a bit of money and want to treat myself to some beautiful tack! Hopefully all going well I will only have to buy it once if I take care of it. :) Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Remember to bring the horse with it!

It is more important that the saddle fits the horse than the rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Like a pair of shoes. You dont want the horse working in beautiful stilettos. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tirchonaill77

Annaghmore saddlery (walkontroton) are coming out to fit a saddle for me now their prices for a new saddle are very good, I am well impressed. Goodwins are much pricer and was dissapointed even thought it says nationwide service on their website, they dont travel to Donegal. A bit misleading. Anyway the price for a new Stubben, prestige etc was alot more than Annaghmore and I mean alot more. Cant wait to get tacked out :p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Are these saddles second hand or brandnew?

Depreciation is kind of high on saddles when they are sold on after being bought new. Look up saddle fitting on the net and signs to look for in a saddle with a damaged tree (most importandt internal structure)

Don't be afraid to ask the person questions and if they can't answer them satisfactorially, vote with your feet!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Berneys may seem expensive, but the saddle I have is the most comfy you'll ever get and it's over 20 yrs old, got it restuffed a bit but is still as good as new!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 tirchonaill77

The saddles I priced in both places are the same make eg Stubben Siefried VSD DL was €400 cheaper to buy in Northern Ireland. :rolleyes: The saddles are brand new. A big saving for me not to mention if I bought in Goodwins I had to get it fitted myself because of where I live. I know new saddles depreciate but I saved up to buy something special. Just want a treat! Hopefully all going well I wont have to buy another saddle for a very long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

i bought a new stubben (parzival i think) 6 years ago,paid something like €1200 for it. i traded in a similar type jumpin saddle for it and considering it was fairly 2nd hand but in great condition, i got €550 for it. a good saddle, once well cared for, clean and not abused will hold a good value. Buying a saddle new is a great investment and same applies, if well looked after it will last the time. we also have a berney saddle, actually quite similar to the stubben, has the rollers for in front and behind the leg, bought it new 10 years ago and its still perfect. i love new tack, esp the smell of new fresh leather!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

i'm a berneys fan to, love my saddle, really comfy and they hold their age great.

hope to have mine for many moons to come.

Advertisement