Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok Im sure your SICK of this but Humour me guys

Options
  • 27-06-2009 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

:o
    Ive applyed for IT course thats fairly heavy in java ,C nd C++
    for nxt year in GMIT (Galway) now beyond knowing the names of these I havent a clue what they are or what their about...

I gather I should maybe get a head start over the summer as it isnt something that is best learnt in college but Im bewildered to be honest

Ive attempted some C++ following an online tutorial ( www.cprogramming.com ) but im probaly going about this the wrong way

I just wonderd wheather you guys had any advice maybe it would be better to start with a completly different language:confused:

Thanks in advance:) (cause im getting worryed)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Get you head around C although i imagine alot of the C++ tutorials will start with basic C first. If you can get your head around C and C++ (the only difference really is the extra abilities that C++ gives) then java will be easier to pick up.

There's LOADS of online tutorials, all of which will help you but I found this crowd particularly good when i got lost.

Also, ask loads of questions in the forums. don't assume stuff, get it explained. Trust me on this. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Are you saying that they won't be starting at the ground level? I'd imagine that they'll be explaining all the things necessary for you to succeed and unless it's an advanced course I doubt there is any assumption of experience and I'd wager that they're assuming you have no previous knowledge of programming.

If you want a head start for the sake of it or to get a feel for programming then buy a book on starting C++ or Java, plenty out there and they'll mostly teach you the same things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Well assuming it's an undergraduate course then my advice would be probably to just leave it until you start the course and just put the time and effort in once you start.

I don't really see the point in trying to understand this stuff on your own when the whole point of attending an educational course is to learn; you stand a much better chance of understanding the material properly with the help of practical work and lectures by (presumably) people who are experts in their relevant subjects.

If you're going to read anything before you start your course I would suggest a book on algorithms; it might help to get your head in the right place for thinking about computing.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

I recommend Java as it is very easy to learn. You can easily learn c and c++ after that. I learned Java first so I am a little biased.

Get Big Java by Cay Horstman and work your way through it. Just make sure that you don't pick up any bad habits as it might be hard to change them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I think you should just learn it in the course. If you start now you'll probably develop bad habits or learn things incorrectly and just confuse yourself when you meet the same topics in college.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

Thnks lads ill take that onboard and will probly leave it till the course starts now!:)
    maybe do a bit of reading as suggested by ronivek

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

To get a basic understanding of how a programming language works go learn python, ruby or php.

You won't learn about the useful things here such as datastructures and how heap and stack work. But you'll at least pick up general programming, application design and ideally object orientated design.

You can use these languages to make web sites so you could make yourself a personal web page.

Look for a book (Real life book or a Free PDF) on one of these languages. A lot of publishers give away free versions of their book in electronic format.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you have a clue about logical programming then I would stay away from languages.

Your first few weeks of the course are going to be (hopefully!) teaching you about logical problem solving. This is the basis for all programming, irrespective of language. Knowing how to use a hammer is no use if you dont know when to use it, same as Java, C++ etc.

Advertisement