Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone in Dublin/Louth Area fancy a Rib run???

Options
  • 27-06-2009 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Anyone out there in the East Coast near Dublin/Louth area fancy getting together for a run out on the ribs??
    I'm pretty new to the scene (bought my 5m rib last year but have stuck mainly to Inland Lakes as my mates have crappy speedboats)
    The closest myself and my wife have got to open water is up in Carlingford Lough, but am nervous about venturing further without company - Does anyone fancy it?????????
    All experience levels welcome thumbs.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Try here,
    http://www.powerboat.ie/forums/ribs-ireland/4086-rib-run-aid-temple-street-childrens-hospital.html
    Might be a bit far, as we start in Waterford, but we do finish in Dublin.
    Give us a shout at ribraiders@live.ie if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Why are you nervous about taking the RIB out by yourself?

The waters around Howth/Malahide (my area) are sheltered, safe and busy. They have excellent rescue services (better than the lakes anyway) too.

May I recommend that you (and your wife) do an ISA powerboat course, they're a lot of fun for a start and you will learn how to take to the sea safely with all the right gear and preparation. Also do a VHF course and buy a hand held - they're only 150quid now.

Apaologies if you have already taken these courses. Also remember that 2nd the best piece of safety kit (after life jackets of course) you can bring out is an anchor and decent warp. That way if the boat stops you can throw the hook out and wait for help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Steve.N

Thanks for the reply Ferris,

We did the ISA level 2 Power Boat coarse last June, then supposed to do the advanced level but got called off due to a storm - did the classroom navigation course though. The VHF course was on the agenda for the Autumn.
    You're right in everything you say - I don't disagree. Now I'm usually a go out and try it kinda person but the open sea has my pretty wary! We had engine trouble last year (dirty petrol) and it took me an hour to get her going again, this was right at the mouth of Carlingford Lough. It showed me just how vuneral you are even in a rib when you're just floating with no power.
    Was hoping some more experienced rib owners out there was willing to keep me right!

Ferris wrote: »
    Why are you nervous about taking the RIB out by yourself?

The waters around Howth/Malahide (my area) are sheltered, safe and busy. They have excellent rescue services (better than the lakes anyway) too.

May I recommend that you (and your wife) do an ISA powerboat course, they're a lot of fun for a start and you will learn how to take to the sea safely with all the right gear and preparation. Also do a VHF course and buy a hand held - they're only 150quid now.

Apaologies if you have already taken these courses. Also remember that 2nd the best piece of safety kit (after life jackets of course) you can bring out is an anchor and decent warp. That way if the boat stops you can throw the hook out and wait for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Carlingford lough entrance is a nasty place to get caught out. It's always lumpy with the tide. I would not have liked to be there without an engine for any amount of time.
    You're safer having a second small engine with it's own fuel supply. It will give you some peace of mind too and confidence to head out a bit further. I'm always wary about heading out on a boat with one engine and try to avoid it even when there's company.

Steve.N wrote: »
    We did the ISA level 2 Power Boat coarse last June, then supposed to do the advanced level but got called off due to a storm - did the classroom navigation course though. The VHF course was on the agenda for the Autumn.

If I had my rib up and running i'd go for it but the engine is b~ll~xed!

If you have the level 2 and nav done then you're more qualified than 80% of RIB users. I'd take it down to howth or Malahide at the weekend and work away, like I said there are plenty of boats around - Yachts, motorboats, ribs and trip boats. Just make sure you have your safety gear and someone knows where you are and when you're due back in. There are some really nice bits to explore around howth especially, like the back of the Irelands Eye and up to Lambay. Tides can be strong in the sound and at the back of the Island. Water is shallow out towards Sutton and Baldoyle.

• Advertisement

If I had my rib up and running I'd go for it but the engine is b~ll~xed!

If you have the level 2 and nav done then you're more qualified than 80% of RIB users. I'd take it down to howth or Malahide at the weekend and work away, like I said there are plenty of boats around - Yachts, motorboats, ribs and trip boats. Just make sure you have your safety gear and someone knows where you are and when you're due back in. There are some really nice bits to explore around howth especially, like the back of the Irelands Eye and up to Lambay. Tides can be strong in the sound and at the back of the Island. Water is shallow out towards Sutton and Baldoyle.

Where can I launch at Malahide or even anywhere nearby? I went on a rekkie there last year and couldn't find anywhere to put her in?
    Yeah, we have GPS with all the Irish maps and full safety gear (flares/ Thowlines etc etc). I only realized how well kitted out we were last week when a guy we met in Carlingford was just back from returning from Isle Of Man with no GPS, VHF or anything :eek: - Mental Case!!

Where can I launch at Malahide or even anywhere nearby? I went on a rekkie there last year and couldn't find anywhere to put her in?

Actually don't know if there is a slip in Malahide, must be one in the marina but you might have to pay to use it. Maybe another down by the sea scouts. There's a couple in the estuary but you can't (easily) get out to sea from there.

If you're unsure just go to howth, no parking charges there (yet:mad:) and the slip is good.

Actually don't know if there is a slip in Malahide, must be one in the marina but you might have to pay to use it. Maybe another down by the sea scouts. There's a couple in the estuary but you can't (easily) get out to sea from there.

If you're unsure just go to howth, no parking charges there (yet:mad:) and the slip is good.

Couldn't see one in Malahide Marina (Was VERY suprised!)
    Never thought of Howth - Thanks!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Couldn't see one in Malahide Marina (Was VERY suprised!)
    Never thought of Howth - Thanks!! :D

There is no slip in the Marina proper but there is one by the sea scouts (beside the tennis courts) but I'm 90% sure it's subject to tides.

The slip at the sea scouts is tidal and I think it's only for their use.
    I used to live in Malahide and did/still do a fair bit of kayaking around the area, but had never thought of Howth.
    Checked it out the other evening, what a great spot to launch from! Even at low tide the slip was still being used - Thanks Ferris!!

Taking boat over next week to launch from Howth - is there anything to watch out for???

• Advertisement
Advertisement