Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July forecast contest

Options
  • 27-06-2009 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭

Before I post the bonus questions (the three main questions will be the same as always), I was wondering if someone could suggest an event in middle to late July preferably, that we could use for our focus on the two bonus questions. If no one makes a suggestion on Sunday, I will probably go ahead and invent something less interesting, so have your answers ready for Monday or Tuesday as, with this warm spell to heat wave looming, I may have to enforce the June 30 2359h deadline or we'll have people guessing the high for 1st of July after it's already happened. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

How about something for July the 12th? Munster Hurling Final in Thurles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

jd wrote: »
    How about something for July the 12th? Munster Hurling Final in Thurles?

Not for marching then? :pac:

Sulmac wrote: »
    Not for marching then? :pac:

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Okay, sounds good, so will use that event as the background for the bonus questions for the 12th. So here we go with the five questions for July:

(1) Mean temperature deg C for Ireland, being the average of highest and lowest values for recording stations.

(2) Highest temperature deg C for the month of July ... please note, if you enter on the first and give a value already recorded on the first, you must then add a prediction for the rest of the month or your prediction will be scored against the value for the rest of the month. Same applies to 2nd July and no entries accepted after end of day (usual rules apply also to score reductions above 60).

(3) Lowest temperature deg C for the month of July

(4) For the events in Thurles on the 12th, we'll use data from Shannon which is about as close as anywhere else, so that will be as follows, first of all, how much rain to fall during the day in mms?

(5) Then at Shannon, how much sunshine will be recorded in hours (include tenths in your guess).

(6) Bonus question, just three points available here for top three guesses, name the max temp for the day (as per the above).

Watch for the August forecast questions to appear possibly quite early as I am not sure when I will be able to get on the internet around the end of July as I will be on holiday then, and into early August. You won't have to answer them early, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭kindredspirit

1; 15°C.

2; 28°C.

3; 7.0°C.

4; NIL.

5; 7.0 hrs.

6; 23°C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

1; 15.8 °C.

2; 29.2 °C.

3; 6.2 °C.

4; 2.0mm

5; 6.5 hrs.

6; 21 °C.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

1. 18.2 °C

2. 28.6 °C

3. 5.3 °C

4. 0 mm

5. 9 hrs

6. 22 °C

1. 15.4
    2. 29.1
    3. 6.6
    4. 0
    5. 7.1
    6. 22.4

1. 16.5 C

2. 30.1 C

3. 7.6 C

4. 0 mms of rain

5. 12.5 hrs of sun

6. 25.5 C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

(1) Mean temperature deg C for Ireland, being the average of highest and lowest values for recording stations. 15.7 C

(2) Highest temperature deg C for the month of July ... please note, if you enter on the first and give a value already recorded on the first, you must then add a prediction for the rest of the month or your prediction will be scored against the value for the rest of the month. Same applies to 2nd July and no entries accepted after end of day (usual rules apply also to score reductions above 60). 25.9 C

(3) Lowest temperature deg C for the month of July 7.7 C

(4) For the events in Thurles on the 12th, we'll use data from Shannon which is about as close as anywhere else, so that will be as follows, first of all, how much rain to fall during the day in mms? 0.5 MM

(5) Then at Shannon, how much sunshine will be recorded in hours (include tenths in your guess). 10.8

(6) Bonus question, just three points available here for top three guesses, name the max temp for the day (as per the above). 21.5 C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

(1) Mean temperature deg C for Ireland, being the average of highest and lowest values for recording stations. 15.7c

(2) Highest temperature deg C for the month of July ... please note, if you enter on the first and give a value already recorded on the first, you must then add a prediction for the rest of the month or your prediction will be scored against the value for the rest of the month. Same applies to 2nd July and no entries accepted after end of day (usual rules apply also to score reductions above 60). 28.7c

(3) Lowest temperature deg C for the month of July 4.6c

(4) For the events in Thurles on the 12th, we'll use data from Shannon which is about as close as anywhere else, so that will be as follows, first of all, how much rain to fall during the day in mms? 2.1mm

(5) Then at Shannon, how much sunshine will be recorded in hours (include tenths in your guess). 7.4

(6) Bonus question, just three points available here for top three guesses, name the max temp for the day (as per the above). 22.3c

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

(1) Mean temperature deg C for Ireland, being the average of highest and lowest values for recording stations. 16.2c

(2) Highest temperature deg C for the month of July. 29.2c

(3) Lowest temperature deg C for the month of July. 6.9c

(4) For the events in Thurles on the 12th, we'll use data from Shannon which is about as close as anywhere else, so that will be as follows, first of all, how much rain to fall during the day in mms? 0.0mm

(5) Then at Shannon, how much sunshine will be recorded in hours (include tenths in your guess). 11.4 hrs

(6) Bonus question, just three points available here for top three guesses, name the max temp for the day. 21.6c

Entries are still welcome, just note, for the highest reading of July, if you give something that has already happened, put a second guess in brackets for the rest of the month, or your guess goes up against that value instead. Sound fair? Perhaps it won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

1. 15.7c

2. 25.4c

3. 7.4c

4. 1.7mm

5. 4.7hrs

6. 21.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

1) Mean temperature deg C for Ireland, being the average of highest and lowest values for recording stations. 16.7C
    (2) Highest temperature deg C for the month of July ... please note, if you enter on the first and give a value already recorded on the first, you must then add a prediction for the rest of the month or your prediction will be scored against the value for the rest of the month. Same applies to 2nd July and no entries accepted after end of day (usual rules apply also to score reductions above 60). 29.5C
    (3) Lowest temperature deg C for the month of July 8.8C
    (4) For the events in Thurles on the 12th, we'll use data from Shannon which is about as close as anywhere else, so that will be as follows, first of all, how much rain to fall during the day in mms? 0.0MM
    (5) Then at Shannon, how much sunshine will be recorded in hours (include tenths in your guess). 12.9

(6) Bonus question, just three points available here for top three guesses, name the max temp for the day (as per the above). 24.7C

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭dasa29

Hi Guys sorry this is late but have been busy in the wilds of wicklow :D and had no access to a computer or the Internet for the past week. just got back today.

1) 16.5 C

(2) 28.9 C

(3) 4.7 C

(4) 5.5 MM

(5) 8.1

(6) 25.5 C

Well you've always been on time before, so I think I will bend the rules and allow your forecast, but subject to the 5 pt deduction if you break 60 (61 to 64 back to 60 so it isn't too bizarre).

When we come to August, that being holiday time for many, everyone will have the end of the fourth as a deadline, and I will make sure the bonus questions don't involve anything close to that date.

For Shannon on Sunday 12th, we have:

rainfall 1.5 mms
    sunshine 7.6 hours

max temp (bonus) 19.1 C

Looks like quite a few scored on these.

Here are the final numbers for July temperatures. I will be scoring the month about 0700h your time, later this evening my time, as I am running out again in a few minutes. Look for these scores in the "annual score" thread, not here.

The mean temp will be 14.8 C (the range was 15.9 to 13.6)

The highest for the month was a shocking 22.6 at Casement on the first.

The lowest was a chilly 5.4 at Claremorris on the 25th.

I'll have to look around the met.ie site to see if that 22.6 represents a low monthly maximum for July, because it seems quite low to me, I wouldn't think there had been too many of any summer months that did worse. I may have to invoke the mercy rule on the scoring there (haven't looked yet). That would be if nobody was going to receive at least 20 out of 25 points, we give 20 for first and scale down from there.

Advertisement