Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Create you own 3D game engine

Options
  • 27-06-2009 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Click hereto find out how to create your own 3D gaming engine.
    "So, in this series of articles, I'm going to do my level best to teach you how to build an engine, from scratch. I'm not just going to present you with code and say 'call function X to do funky things;' by the end of this series, you're not just going to have an engine - you're going to understand it. So listen up, maggot!"

"It's important to realize that in practical terms, an engine can't do *everything* - the more things the engine has to support, the more low-level it becomes, until you're just writing a wrapper for DirectX/OpenGL. No, when you write an engine, you have to lay down some rules about what games can build on it - you can't build Doom 3 on the Half-Life engine, for example, because Doom 3 requires some things (like per-pixel lighting) that the Half-Life engine simply doesn't provide. More obviously, you couldn't use the HL engine if you were planning a game for GameCube, because HL doesn't support the platform."

[Mod edit: I've changed the link so it leads to the same article without having to login]
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Xerox

also on the link you mus "read full arrticle" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Good reading , thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dustpuppy

Good read.
    Making a 3d engine is a lot of work.
    I am doing this now since a few weeks.
    Have camera and frustum working, can load and render quake 3 arena maps, can load and display models (md2, md3, obj, 3ds, cal3d, ac3d), have a quake style console, some particle engines, like water and fire.
    Working on client/server system at the moment.
    Have still a lot of work to do. The engine is running with SDL and opengl on windows, linux and Mac OSX.
    I thing, i need till end of year, until it's stable enough to make the first game with.

cheers

Dusty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

One word; Ogre.
    If you have need of a 3D rendering engine, Ogre.

Advertisement