Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lifting and storing tulip bulbs

Options
  • 27-06-2009 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I have just lifted tulip bulbs from a container to store them fro replanting in Autumn. Does anyone know how to prepare them for storage and how/where to store?

Also, some of the bulbs have become large and segmented, not unlike a garlic bulb - should these be separated?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

I keep mine in damp newspaper and keep in a couple of biscuit tins and keep in a dark cool place.

works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Why dark newspaper?

Yorky wrote: »
    Why dark newspaper?

Not dark newspaper Damp newspaper. Dark cool place

Meant to say damp! Why so?

starts them off being cool and brings the temp down before storing them.

you dont have to do the newspaper thing it was just something passed down to me and I contiue to do.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Just to be clear, I've left them out to dry in the garage for twenty four hours. If I now wrap then togther in a sheet of newspaper and store them in an old toolbox in an unheated garage would that be alright?

yea should work just as dark as possible

Some of them have no brown skin layers and others have loose layers- should i peel off the skin to the white flesh? . There are also some bulbs that are split in to loosly joined segments-Should I separate these?

Finally, how long should they be left out to dry and should I wrap them individually in paper or together?

just put some damp paper at the end of the tool box, put the bulbs in and place some more damp paper on top and cover.

you can seperate them now or when you take them back out. doesnt rally make a difference, all you are really doing is making them dorment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 stoblerone

I let them dry and then store them in a dark cool place. will let you know in the Spring if this method works:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement