Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for someone who really, really enjoys smoking?

Options
  • 27-06-2009 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to quit, or rather I would like to want to quit, but I just enjoy it too damn much. I'm 20 and been smoking about 6 years, haven't taken drugs much in the last 18 months and drinking is down to about once a month, so smoking is my only real "vice" left and I have to admit, I still really really enjoy it.
    Also I'm living on about 90 quid a week, 40 or so of which is going straight on the fags which is annoying, but it's something I'm more than willing to put up for now it seems.

Any pointers from anyone? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

amacachi wrote: »
    I would like to quit, or rather I would like to want to quit, but I just enjoy it too damn much. I'm 20 and been smoking about 6 years, haven't taken drugs much in the last 18 months and drinking is down to about once a month, so smoking is my only real "vice" left and I have to admit, I still really really enjoy it.
    Also I'm living on about 90 quid a week, 40 or so of which is going straight on the fags which is annoying, but it's something I'm more than willing to put up for now it seems.

Any pointers from anyone? :)

you only think you enjoy it.
    That's part of the ingenious trick.
    have a read of Alan Carr's book for some refreshing enlightenment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I would like to want to quit, but I just enjoy it too damn much

I hear ya brother/sister, I was in the very same situation as you this time last year, I'd tried everything to quit but enjoyed a smoke too much especially with a drink where I found I couldn't relax and unwind unless I had a smoke. I used e-fags to quit and am now off them 11 months and feel like a new person, I'm even in training to do this years marathon which I have always wanted to do. Go for it, give them up and you will gradually start to feel sooooo much better for it. I got my e-fag at www.myeasyquit.com where you can get more info on how they work, they're not everybodies cup of tea but i'd swear by them!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭barkingmadlolly

I feel your pain! I also thought I really really really enjoyed smoking and would never never never be able to stop. I read the Alan Carr book and then attending one of the clinics (details on http://www.allencarr.ie/) and it was amazing. Made me realise that all the things I enjoyed about smoking really were an illusion. Pricey but after going from 20 a day to 0 immediately I highly recomend. Nearly 2 months off them now and no cravings at all.

Best of luck OP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

This post has been deleted.

Thats the reason I stayed hooked for 30 years.
    Its pretty much the reason everybody stays hooked.

You're not going to believe me but the coffee and time are both more enjoyable without the smoke.

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure this out 6 months later even though its true.

Bamboozled as to why did I not quit sooner ?

Until you get there, you will never know. But having convinced yourself that being quit is not a place to go to, then you won't get there anyway. Thats the smoking trap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ohohoh

I love smoking. Love it love it. Have smoked for 14 years. Read Alan Carr and gave up for a few months and went back on them so easily. Only thing stopping me now is exercise. I am running all the time so I automatically don't want to smoke anymore. I might have the odd one when I feel like it but can go weeks without. May never truely ever give up, but one now and again is better than 10/20 per day.

Also, I'm trying to do this self discipline thing, cutting back on things I love that are bad for me, and then 'treating' myself to same when I have done something good to deserve it. It's a good feeling.

I have also decided that if I do really well in cutting down to the bear minimum, I am going to take up smoking when I am 70. Will be something to look forward to, sitting on my rocking chair knowing I have worked hard all my life and helped others, so now I can smoke as much as I damn well please :p

you have to have some reason to give up. there is no magic stop smoking panacea. even with all the pills etc available as aids to help you you'll still have to have some willpower. I gave up last year using champix but also hated being controlled by cigarettes - even tho I liked smoking. that worked as my motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

smoking in work to try pass the time is the real killer alright! maybe i'll just stick to drinking a lot of rockstar:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

If you enjoy it then why give it up?

Advertisement