Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network streaming.

Options
  • 27-06-2009 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭

Can anybody answer this?

I have my main PC wired to my router & a Xbox 360 connected wirelessly.

I stream TV shows & movies from my PC to the Xbox.

My ISP was supposed to be uncapped but they are mouthing about the bandwidth usage lately.

Is streaming from my PC to the Xbox part of my bandwidth usage as per what my ISP would be monitoring, or is it raping my allowance?

I thought initially that because the streaming was over my own internal network using my internal IP & not my WAN IP that it wouldn't affect my bandwidth? but I can't see any other reason as to why my usage is so high.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Can anybody answer this?

My ISP was supposed to be uncapped but they are mouthing about the bandwidth usage lately.

Is streaming from my PC to the Xbox part of my bandwidth usage as per what my ISP would be monitoring, or is it raping my allowance?

I thought initially that because the streaming was over my own internal network using my internal IP & not my WAN IP that it wouldn't affect my bandwidth? but I can't see any other reason as to why my usage is so high.

-

Internal traffic doesn't count towards any cap. How are you measuring traffic usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Spear wrote: »
    Internal traffic doesn't count towards any cap. How are you measuring traffic usage?

I'm using BitMeter as per the recommendation of my ISP who don't offer the facility to track it on their system.

BitMeter is recording the streaming though, so that throws the whole metering idea up in the air, it can't be accurate or even close?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm using BitMeter as per the recommendation of my ISP who don't offer the facility to track it on their system.

BitMeter is recording the streaming though, so that throws the whole metering idea up in the air, it can't be accurate or even close?

-

Is Bitmeter running on your router though? If it's on your local PC it probably can't determine the traffic destined for the WAN interface on the router from traffic meant for the LAN interface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

BitMeter will be recording any and all traffic coming through your network port, which is fine if you are limiting only to internet traffic but not going to work if you are using LAN traffic as well. Is there an option to ignore traffic from a specific source?

Is Bitmeter running on your router though? If it's on your local PC it probably can't determine the traffic destined for the WAN interface on the router from traffic meant for the LAN interface.

It's on my local PC & is catching everything for sure.

How do you mean "Is it on my router"?

Does the fact that the Xbox is connecting wireless have any bearing on it?

-

• Advertisement

BitMeter will be recording any and all traffic coming through your network port, which is fine if you are limiting only to internet traffic but not going to work if you are using LAN traffic as well. Is there an option to ignore traffic from a specific source?

No Aidan, I've looked at that already.

-

It's on my local PC & is catching everything for sure.

How do you mean "Is it on my router"?

Does the fact that the Xbox is connecting wireless have any bearing on it?

-

I meant were you running the traffic monitoring app on your router, where it could more easily differentiate between WAN and LAN interfaces. You could look into alternate firmware that contains and traffic monitor.

I meant were you running the traffic monitoring app on your router, where it could more easily differentiate between WAN and LAN interfaces. You could look into alternate firmware that contains and traffic monitor.

Right, I didn't realise such a firmware would be available.

I still think that the stats I received from my ISP has to be including the streaming, is that even possible?

The reason I say that is because I know within reason what I down & up (aside from the streaming) & the figures are ridiculous if they pertain to only my actual downloads & uploads?

-

Right, I didn't realise such a firmware would be available.

I still think that the stats I received from my ISP has to be including the streaming, is that even possible?

The reason I say that is because I know within reason what I down & up (aside from the streaming) & the figures are ridiculous if they pertain to only my actual downloads & uploads?

-

They should only be measuring what does out on the phone line. I don't see any realistic way for them to record your internal traffic.

Does anyone know if there is any advantage in using DU Meter over BitMeter?

Is there any software that can differentiate between LAN & WAN traffic metering?

-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

You should be able to configure your traffic metering software to ignore certain ip ranges. So you'd set it to ignore your local network subnet and count everything else.

From a quick google, DuMeter certainly seems more capable than BitMeter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Can anybody answer this?

-

Not sure if this is going to be any help to you but for myself I had a Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware on it which had traffic monitoring capabilities so you could monitor what you uploaded/downloaded. It wouldn't log traffic over your LAN only what went in/out over the WAN interface which is pretty much what you're after.

I appreciate all the replies.

I'm not using a Linksys at the moment & my question also concerns other users all of which are using different types of routers. I'm sure finding suitable firmware would be very difficult if not impossible for a range of routers?

I'm surprised too that there doesn't appear to be a PC based monitoring software capable of distinguishing between internal & external traffic.

-

I appreciate all the replies.

I'm not using a Linksys at the moment & my question also concerns other users all of which are using different types of routers. I'm sure finding suitable firmware would be very difficult if not impossible for a range of routers?

I'm surprised too that there doesn't appear to be a PC based monitoring software capable of distinguishing between internal & external traffic.

-

Check the list here.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Advertisement