Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning/reconditioning my boots?

Options
  • 27-06-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

hi all
    Have a pair of hanwag hiking boots that I've been using for the past 3 years, on and off. I havn't taken care of them properly and they are looking a bit worse for wear. Can anyone recommend a way to restore them as they are great boots and so comfortable.
    Thanks
    S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

depends on material. if they are full grain leather, just scrub them in water, dry and polish with boot polish. if the soles are intact and there are no holes in them, a good cleaning and polishing should do the job. just leave the polish on them for a bit so the leather absorbs it into the cracks. swade and fabrics are a little more tempramental.

if they have holes glue them up with shoe goo or impact adhesive. if the soles are worn out, try get them replaced. there is a cobbler in rathmines that can replace a lot of soles on boots. did a great job on mine. if the goretex is ripped, worn or holed, there is feck all you can do. patching holes inside the boot will lead to odd friction points in the boot. worst case scenario, washing them out with warm water and a bit of techwash is probably the best you can manage there, and if the boot leather is ok, it does most of the waterproofing anyway.

finally, just look after your boots as well as you can on a regular basis. keep clean and polished, especially if exposed to boggy or salty environments.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Souness

Thanks irishlostboy. Boots are in decent nick, no holes or cracks in soles and still a lot of wear in them. Leather uppers are still fully waterproof just a bit shoddy. Will follow your advice and give em a good clean and polish. Cheers, S

Advertisement