Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accommodation

• 27-06-2009 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭

Should be going to be maynooth this year for college so where should I live? on campus?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

If you can get it, then yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Nah, I'd hate to live on campus. On one hand it's great craic, but on the other it always seemed to me to be pretty claustrophobic and cheaply furnished for the price you pay. There are lots of really nice estates nearby for the same price. i was living in Moyglare Abbey, 5 minutes away, and it was a gorgeous house. Really really nice.

Also, I think i'd go mad from being in college constantly. ''Well, all done in the library and lectures for the day, time to go home. Oh, I'm already here.'' *repeat every day*

Then again, I've heard lots of great things from campus-dwellers, all of them seemingly happy with their lot, so it seems that as long as you live on campus or in a nice, nearby house then you can't really go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

thanks! when I go to apply for the on campus I have to put in order of choice which appartments I'd like to stay in, so which are the nicest or are they all more or less the same?

River are the nicest, if memory serves. but i wouldn't take my word for it - best wait until someone more knowledgeable comes on!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

River apartments are the newer fancier ones. You'd get an ensuite bathroom and a bigger bedroom. I lived in village for two years though and really liked it. It felt more lived in to me whereas River felt more like a hotel, (albeit a small one).

Oh and village is a bit cheaper too i think, and you could get stuck sharing a room in River.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Thanks guys. I'm going to Maynooth too hopefully. Do you think if I book now I will get on campus accomm or is it too late?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

K4t wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I'm going to Maynooth too hopefully. Do you think if I book now I will get on campus accomm or is it too late?

Apply but don't hold your breath, you won't find out for definite until after the CAO is out and you might put on a waiting list then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gaudeamus

Hi,
    I'm an Erasmus student and I'm going to study at Maynooth, too!
    Do you know if the accommodation center tends to put Erasmusstudents together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭pakblue

Gaudeamus wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm an Erasmus student and I'm going to study at Maynooth, too!
    Do you know if the accommodation center tends to put Erasmusstudents together?

They tend to put Erasmus students mostly in The River Apartments and are mixed with Irish students I have found anyway.

so people are saying River then? suppose I'll put that first, don't really mind though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Just make sure you put Rye last... *shudder* Bleugh!

Prison cells they are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭morning-glory

I had no problem with Rye at all. anyone know what the internet service is like in village?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

Hi

Does it matter if you smoke or not? I mean, do you have a smaller chance of getting accomodation if you smoke? Whether someone smokes or not is kind of a strange question I think, since many people start smoking while studying at college.

Personally I don't smoke much, less than once a week. If quitting would help my chances of getting an apartment, it may very well be worth it.

Also, is smoking allowed in the rooms/apartments?

/John

AFAIK there's no smoking allowed in campus buildings. They have fire alarms, etc. You've to go outside.

Best bet is to set up a nice smoking garden outside your door tbh.

Ok, thanks. But does it affect your chances of getting accomodation (smoking, that is)?

/John

Oh God no, not at all. Many students are smokers. Do they ask on the form?

yeah they do ask on the form, thought that was a bit weird too, unless you're allowed smoke in the smoking appartment or something :confused:

I'd say it's for putting smokers and non-smokers together.

Hi

Okey... Sounds like I should tell them I'm not a smoker - I can stop at any time (okey, you've heard that from a thousand people - but if a thousand people say it, I mean, not everyone can be lying, right?:))

Maybe this is just a myth or something, but I believe that if you smoke (the average smoker, that is), chances are that you party more or are more liberal in general than the average person (main exception being Winston Churchill who I do not think I'll share a room with;))

Please, no political discussions now, I just think it's bad enough that River has paperthin walls (River will most likely be my first choice), I don't need any anarchist roommates who party 24/7 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Philly Notaro

Ya sound like your obsessed with this smoking thing haha:p

Obsessed with the smoke thing?

You know, I could make a list of like 10 things one could claim that I'm obsessed with, but the smoke thing isn't one of them;) I'm just trying to be a little bit smart:)

/John

Wendero wrote: »
    Hi

Maybe this is just a myth or something, but I believe that if you smoke (the average smoker, that is), chances are that you party more or are more liberal in general than the average person (main exception being Winston Churchill who I do not think I'll share a room with;))
    Really? Maybe you can do your thesis on that theory. I'd be very interested to see the results. :rolleyes:

Very well, I'll write a thesis on it if I get some time left over.

I sincerely apologize for being such an anti-smoker racist. Since I'm a smoker myself, I guess accusing other smokers of partying more than non-smokers makes me a traitor too. Maybe I should have gotten a rope around my neck instead of a leaving certificate when I graduated? What do you say, K4t? ;)

Just kidding. I may be wrong, it doesn't matter very much anyway.

Well, now I've applied for accomodation. I'm not a smoker and I don't want to live with them, and I'd prefer to live in River, single. If that's not possible, I'll stick to Rye. Or, as my third choice, a twin in River.

/John

Very well, I'll write a thesis on it if I get some time left over.

I sincerely apologize for being such an anti-smoker racist. Since I'm a smoker myself, I guess accusing other smokers of partying more than non-smokers makes me a traitor too. Maybe I should have gotten a rope around my neck instead of a leaving certificate when I graduated? What do you say, K4t? ;)

Just kidding. I may be wrong, it doesn't matter very much anyway.
    Let's just say you'd be doing well to keep up with me next year ;) Just messing anyway man. I'm sure we'll have a lot more of that on here if we get in next year.
    Well, now I've applied for accomodation. I'm not a smoker and I don't want to live with them, and I'd prefer to live in River, single. If that's not possible, I'll stick to Rye. Or, as my third choice, a twin in River.

/John
    I'm putting the river as my first choice aswell I think, but as a double.

Glad to hear you're joking, I was a bit worried for a while there;)

What's your reason for wanting a double? Just curious:) Is it the price, or are you just afraid of being alone? :P

I haven't heard anything positive about Village so I decided not to include that as one of my top three choices. Figured out it may be worth to take the risk to end up with a roommate;)

/John

Glad to hear you're joking, I was a bit worried for a while there;)

What's your reason for wanting a double? Just curious:) Is it the price, or are you just afraid of being alone? :P

I haven't heard anything positive about Village so I decided not to include that as one of my top three choices. Figured out it may be worth to take the risk to end up with a roommate;)

/John
    haha just joking. I do that.

It would be handy to have someone to talk to I suppose? We could tell each other ghost stories at night and stuff y'know ;) And yeah it is cheaper. If fees come back price will be an even bigger issue pour moi!

The village is meant to be alright. I'd say they're all fine tbh. I'd be happy just to get campus accommodation wherever!

Aww, that's so cute;) Unfortunately, even if we would end up sharing a room, I don't know any ghost stories:( I could teach you everything you need to know about economics thought:) It can be quite scary from time to time;)

I don't believe the fees will come back, and if so, only temporary, until the crisis is over. Ireland needs a well-educated workforce, that's just how it is. Making people less educated won't help the economy in the long run.

Honestly, I don't really understand everything about village, main problem seems to be that Internet doesn't work very well.

River supposedly have paper thin walls, which isn't good at all, but then, I mean... how cold does it get in Maynooth? 5 degrees C? 10 degrees? You know, where I come from in northern Sweden, we have a word to describe when it's 10 degrees - we call it summer! :)

/John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

banquo wrote: »
    Nah, I'd hate to live on campus. On one hand it's great craic, but on the other it always seemed to me to be pretty claustrophobic and cheaply furnished for the price you pay. There are lots of really nice estates nearby for the same price. i was living in Moyglare Abbey, 5 minutes away, and it was a gorgeous house. Really really nice.

Yea but look at the freaks you ended up with as neighbours :pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Honestly, I don't really understand everything about village, main problem seems to be that Internet doesn't work very well.

I was in village last year and the internet was grand, but I was on the top floor. Twas fairly poor on the bottom floor ones now. Its still better than having to use a wire to connect like in river anyway

Okey. So, River's probably worth the price then.

What are the chances of getting accomodation (first year student)? 25 %? 50 %? Higher? Lower?

/John

Not really what i meant there. Im glad I was in village. Cant see the point in paying an extra 20 euro or whatever a week for river.

Not sure what the percentage is somewhere around 40% for first years and then 30% for second and third years.

I know it's not what you meant:) I just think it may be worth it, to be sure that you have a working internet.

40 % chance then... well, not too bad.

As far as i know you need to use a wire to connect to the interweb in river. So if youre going by that premise then youd be better off paying less for the wireless in village, which works pretty much the whole time. If it ever goes its generally gone around the whole college too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

anyone know of the double room in dun,laoghaire ,sounds ok what you been charged for yours,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭astroguy

Hi, just back to the smoking thing- you can smoke in the river apartment kitchens in general as the fire alarms in the kitchen are heat detectors whereas in the hallway and in the rooms they are smoke detectors so it's probably best not to smoke in the rooms but the kitchen is okay as long as the door is closed and your flatmates don't mind. I guess that's where the smoker/non-smoker thing comes in on the application :)

Question:

Is preference given to students living far away from the campus in relation to accommodation, like in UCD????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

No, its a lotto.

Great, I love lotteries.

Advertisement