Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinning Chimney cowl

Options
  • 27-06-2009 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Howdy, my spinning chimney cowl has stopped spinning. O woe is me!! I have a wood pellet burner and as I posted here a couple of years ago I had major problems with a downdraft until I got the spinning cowl. Backdraft dampens the pellets and causes problems with the screw that draws in the pellets. It stopped before and I managed to free it up and get it spinning again. It didnt last long and stopped again lately. It appeared to be clogged up with soot but as I tried to free it up using 3in one oil it appears to be slightly bent. My question is there anyone who can service these particularry in the Galway area. If not, any suggestions.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Not much help here but if a new one is needed try a louvered one with no spinning parts.. One of the curious things with cowls is that one design will not work on all chimneys even if they may be neighbouring pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

tbh its cheaper to buy a new one and put pleenty of oil on it and a bit on grease to keep the oil in for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

Thanks for your input guys, 160 Euro is a bit expensive to replace. I still think I should be able to find someone to service it. I think its a question of taking it apart and straightening the shaft.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Foleyart wrote: »
    Thanks for your input guys, 160 Euro is a bit expensive to replace. I still think I should be able to find someone to service it. I think its a question of taking it apart and straightening the shaft.

If you contact Plumb X in Balnchardstown they order these in there number is 01 812 8285 speak ti Richie DONT tell him how much you were quoted. He will sell you the cowl around 50 cheaper and you can fit it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

Hey Joey, thanks for that. the last one I bought cost me 157 in Galway a total ripoff. I found one in Buckleys for 90 Euro thanks again.:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement