Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teaching German

Options
  • 27-06-2009 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hiya,

I am planning to teach German in Sligo. Myself is a born German and I live in Ireland since 3 years. Now I am wondering how I best start to teach people German...

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Will you be teaching classes or one-to-one? Beginners or advanced?

I'd say the big thing is (having suffered under a terrible Spanish teacher at the Cervantes Institute) is to make sure that the learners get a chance to speak right from the beginning. My very first Spanish class started with the teacher writing down a list of basic verbs and how/what/where etc and nouns, and made each of us ask a question of another student. There were 30 of us in the class and the laughter quotient was high. It got us over the fear of making mistakes and started us speaking - which is the main reason to learn a language.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

I would do beginner and avdance. and I can teach up to 3 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I think a nice mix of grammar and usage does the trick, or at least should. I've been studying German for way too long and I'm pretty poor at it for the amount of time I've put in, but I put this down to me being lazy and a seperation of grammar from real world usage.

From junior cert right up to 3rd level I've always had grammar presented to me in tables and lists, and I never saw the point and always scraped through with just a basic understanding. I've just spent a semester studying in Germany and all of a sudden things are falling into place. Before this I viewed the prateritum (for example) as something I could ignore, but one class in the topic and I'm slapping myself wondering why the hell I never took it in before.

If someone had linked "ich war" with "I was" ... wow, goodbye years of ignorance.

Advertisement