Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lumix TZ5 v TZ7

• 27-06-2009 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Im been in the market for buying a camera for a while now. I really like the zoom and video capability of the Lumix TZ cameras. As always there is a newer model out now and I am a bit unsure if its worth the extra money for my needs.

I dont use the camera alot but am techie and like my features! Video option is important to me and also halk decent night photos.

Anyone have exerience of these cameras

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Not sure if there are many posters here with either but there are lots of reviews available.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=panasonic_dmctz5

Also check the "so you want to buy a new camera" thread. It has a good few pointers. Check out the amazon reviews also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Veire

I got the Lumix TZ5 about a year ago, I'm really happy with it. It's nice and light/compact and I bring it everywhere.
    I really don't know that much of the differences between the TZ5 and the TZ7. From a quick look at a few reviews, the TZ7 just seems to have improved on what the TZ5 did really well. Personally if I had the money , I'd pay the bit extra to buy the TZ7 if I wanted a good compact camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

I got the TZ5 about 10 month ago and used it extensively for 3 month in South America. As far as I know, no other camera comes close for the size and zoom capability. I am really happy with the pictures and the HD movies were an added bonus (amazing once you see them on a computer or bigger HD TV).
    Yesterday I just met a friend who just got the TZ7 (who had the TZ3 before). On the 5 minute impression I got here is what I found:
    - The camera is thinner and hence even smaller than the TZ5
    - The buttons on top got rearranged, so the microphone won't be covered accidentally by holding it with your left hand
    - Zoom range increased even more (although not by much)

Feature wise, both cameras have lots of different scene settings and the usual flash / self timer / macro options (the TZ7 even has a macro zoom, bringing the object even closer).
    Night shot wise, the TZ5 is slightly limited depending what you want to do. Generaly shutter speed is 1 sec max. There is a special night scene mode, where you can select either 15, 30 or 60 sec exposure but indefinite open shutter as long as the button is pressed is not possible. I haven't checked this on the TZ7 though.

At the time I paid the higher price for the TZ5 and would obviousely go for the TZ7 now if I had to buy a new one. I will not upgrade just of the few added features though.
    If you can spare the cash, go for the TZ7. If not, either wait 5 to 7 month or get the TZ5 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭dinneenp

read here....
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_TZ7_ZS3/verdict.shtml

We’ll start with the TZ7 / ZS3’s predecessor, the best-selling Lumix TZ5, launched exactly one year before it. The Lumix TZ5 features a 10x optical zoom range that’s equivalent to 28-280mm, a 3in screen with 460k resolution, HD movie recording in 720p, and a powerful Intelligent Auto mode. Both cameras also employ physically larger sensors allowing them to maintain the angle of view and avoid cropping whether shooting in 4:3, 3:2 or 16:9 aspect ratios.
    The TZ7 / ZS3 keeps the screen, the multiple aspect shooting and 720p movies, but enhances the other features. Most notably the lens is extended at both ends to a 12x / 25-300mm equivalent range. Secondly the HD movies may be the same resolution and frame rate as before, but they now look cleaner and can be encoded in either the older Motion JPEG or more efficient AVCHD Lite formats, along with stereo sound. The Intelligent Auto mode is now complemented by Face Recognition, there’s an HDMI port, an extra Megapixel of resolution and the macro mode also focuses a little closer at 3cm. Finally, the body itself is a little thinner and lighter.

An unnecessary extra Megapixel aside, they’re all worthy enhancements, especially the wider and longer zoom, and the movie mode which consumes less memory while maintaining similar quality. If these are important to you, then it’s well worth going for the TZ7 / ZS3, but if you’d be happy with a 28-280mm 10x range and videos encoded in Motion JPEG alone, then the older Lumix TZ5 remains a great choice. Over time it’ll be phased-out by the TZ7 / ZS3, but until then it’s well worth keeping an eye on the prices. Sometimes the older model actually becomes more expensive as stocks dwindle, but at other times it falls to become a bargain buy. See our Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 review for more details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭RubyBlu

How much are you talking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

I got the other half a Panasonic Lumix TZ 7 from amazon to replace her broken down Samsung something or other.
    I had a quick try of it this evening but i'd much prefer the Canon G10 I had (til it was robbed last Wed from my car :mad:)

I was thinking of something to replace the G10 but having had this in my hands, it seems a little bit small from what i'm used to - i think i'll have to maybe stump up for a G 11 when funds are a bit more in supply.
    Anyway i'll report back on any observations i manage to get (if any) on the Panasonic TZ 7 :)

Advertisement