Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debenhams Card - ICB rating

Options
  • 27-06-2009 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Was in debenhams today and this guy was mad for me to sign up to this debenhams card, so he told me 10% off and a gift worth 80 euro, so I thought it was a good deal, he started taking details and asked me for a driving licence etc. The questions were getting very personal asking was I single, I didnt know whether he was asking me or whether he was filling in the online screen thingy! anyway I was getting a bit aggitated with the questions (thinking it was just an instore discount card) and so after a few minutes through it he says its actually a 'kind of credit card' but there is no government levy thingy on it and Im like .. riiiiiighhhhhhht... anyway he asked my wages and my mortgage repayments. To be honest I lied, because I thought this was just getting a bit ridiculous filling out this in the middle of the shop floor with others around. So I played dumb about the mortgage and said I had , he said how much was it for, and before I answered he said we'll say 350k, I said ok. in fact its only 230k but I thought this was all 'statistical' information. If he had said to me first off right we're filling out this form to see if your eligible for a store credit card I would have been more aware of the questions he was going to be hopping off me.

To my horror, it was declined!! I was ssssssssoooooooo embarassed, and so worried that my credit rating is not good. I've jut been on ICB website to fill out a credit rating form but wont have that for a few days apparently. Can anyone explain the implications of this icb report, Im always very good on mortgage repayments never missed one!

Presumably I could have been turned down because of the mortgage figure right? Please put my mind at ease

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

debehhams would not have access to your financial info

If they refused you its based on their opinion on the info you gave

usually it takes a couple of days to get accepted for a credit card

its strange they could do it while you were waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

nellie07 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Was in debenhams today and this guy was mad for me to sign up to this debenhams card, so he told me 10% off and a gift worth 80 euro, so I thought it was a good deal, he started taking details and asked me for a driving licence etc. The questions were getting very personal asking was I single, I didnt know whether he was asking me or whether he was filling in the online screen thingy! anyway I was getting a bit aggitated with the questions (thinking it was just an instore discount card) and so after a few minutes through it he says its actually a 'kind of credit card' but there is no government levy thingy on it and Im like .. riiiiiighhhhhhht... anyway he asked my wages and my mortgage repayments. To be honest I lied, because I thought this was just getting a bit ridiculous filling out this in the middle of the shop floor with others around. So I played dumb about the mortgage and said I had , he said how much was it for, and before I answered he said we'll say 350k, I said ok. in fact its only 230k but I thought this was all 'statistical' information. If he had said to me first off right we're filling out this form to see if your eligible for a store credit card I would have been more aware of the questions he was going to be hopping off me.

To my horror, it was declined!! I was ssssssssoooooooo embarassed, and so worried that my credit rating is not good. I've jut been on ICB website to fill out a credit rating form but wont have that for a few days apparently. Can anyone explain the implications of this icb report, Im always very good on mortgage repayments never missed one!

Presumably I could have been turned down because of the mortgage figure right? Please put my mind at ease

thanks

It was a lucky escape being declined for a storecard, well known for their extortionate interest rates. The saving with the "gift" and the "discount" would have been more than wiped out by the time they got their teeth into you.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭nellie07

thanks for the replies, even on the ICB site its says a few days for results, but when I was so shocked he said dont worry just ring this number (ICB) and ask them why you were turned down - to me it seemed like they were on a database where when they entered my info it came up as 'declined'

agghh! never gonna get the card now anyway thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They score you immediately based on your answers. If you score well, they'll approve you for a card straight away, without actually consulting the ICB.

You're better off without it, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

My aunt was declined also, ironically she's a credit controller for a multi-national. :D Basically it's Debenhams' issue not the ICB, they just click your details into a form and it says yay or nay regardless of your true finiacial situation.
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    It was a lucky escape being declined for a storecard, well known for their extortionate interest rates. The saving with the "gift" and the "discount" would have been more than wiped out by the time they got their teeth into you.
    It's also well known that if you pay any card off in time you don't pay a single cent of interest but recieve all the other benefits. Personally I love my storecard as I save a good bit throughout the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

taram wrote: »
    It's also well known that if you pay any card off in time you don't pay a single cent of interest but recieve all the other benefits. Personally I love my storecard as I save a good bit throughout the year.

It's also well known that a lot of people get into deep trouble:eek:, and are not as sensible as you.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions. Better suited there I think.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Earlier this year I applied for a Debenhams card and a House of Fraser card on the same day. I was instantly approved for the Debenhams one and instantly declined for the House of Fraser one.

So judging by what people have said here, this is presumably because HOF have a higher set of criteria then Debenhams, and not to do with by credit rating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Debenhams store card is operated by GE Money - the people that give loans at 20%+ interest.
    They also operate house of fraser cards.

No-where on any litreature is the extortinate interest rate mentioned - it is about 30% - late payment charges are about €20.

Avoid it at all costs.

cool, thanks - will do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

As already said its GE Money that operate the card and its their checking system that accepts/declines.

Personally I wouldnt touch it, but if you do want to go for it, some people have found them useful, those who manager their money tighty, then you have to wait 3 months to try again.

I would actually complain the guy that tried opening it for you, he cant just make figures up.

I Know, if he had said to me at the counter this is a debenhams credit card I would have said no Immediately, I think he was too busy telling me about the 80 euro free gift that he had me thinking it was a discount card, only at the last minute did he say it was a credit card. I felt so intimidated filling out this form in front of others in the store while he asked me my wages and mortgage amount. Why did he not let me fill those things out myself in private. Mortified.
    then he asked where I work when I told him he goes 'oh i know the place.. blah blah ' then when 'DECLINED' came up I nearly passed out and he said dont worry about the gift, I'll get you a coffee! It was a bloody valium I needed at that stage. never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

There are a lot of other factors besides your credit rating that affect the decision - age, homeowner/renter, length of time employed, length of time at address, number of children.
    Don't read too much into it.

Advertisement