Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lee metford info?

Options
  • 27-06-2009 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me out here? Im looking at a lee metford rifle at the min. Its a ten shot MKII*. Dated 1909. Made by enfield. It has DP stamped all over it. But looks to be in very good condition. .303 cal but not sure if its BP or nitro. It has mag cut off and volley sights. Any ideas what they fetch on the market?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Scolopax

Hi Chem, DP usually means Drill Purpose, as in not capable of being fired. Maybe not in your case but be aware. As for value, not a clue , sorry.
    "This weapon has been identified as a Lee-Enfield but may well have started life as a Lee-Metford. The many stamps on the receiver indicate that this particular model was at some time bought by Bannerman, the New York dealer, who bought up quantities of arms and either converted them to sporting use or resold immediately. This one was sold for drill purpose (stamped DP) and therefore has an unsafe barrel" taken from http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/arms/rifles/armbsr.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Thanks Scolopax. I will post pics tomorrow. After I get some pics of her ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

chem wrote: »
    Can anyone help me out here? Im looking at a lee metford rifle at the min. Its a ten shot MKII*. Dated 1909. Made by enfield. It has DP stamped all over it. But looks to be in very good condition. .303 cal but not sure if its BP or nitro. It has mag cut off and volley sights. Any ideas what they fetch on the market?

Lee metfords were only manufactured to use black powder, the metford barrels were apparently not very good and prone to wearing quickly. It is possible that the barrel was has been replaced as this happened to alot of these particular rifles.

If your looking for a shooter it would be wise to thread carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Didnt get pics of the one I was looking at yet! But found one here http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=2320186 Its in better condition then my one. But it more or less the same.

Hope to get pics soon.

Advertisement