Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Red Creatures

Options
  • 27-06-2009 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi just wondering if u could help me out. At the moment I am plagued with tiny little things that we as kids used to call red spiders but I can't find them in any book that I have. They are the size of a grain of sand and they look like more of a beetle than spider and at the moment they are everywhere. I just wanted to know what do they eat and are they harmful to my plants ???? Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

These are Red spider mites. Bad b'stards. Wipe them out if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭heathcliff

Thanks, I didn't know there were bad but when I came across them the other day I killed all the ones I could find, there was too many for my liking. This is now on my hit list watch out u little red B******s. I am like a demented person after bugs these days !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

My little kids call them BLOOD SUCKERS. haha so did I when I was 5 or 6.
    but I never knew they where bad for veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

I always see them on my concrete walls etc never seen them on vegetation. damn blood suckers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Callag

They're not red spider mites, they're actually clover mites which are pretty harmless and feed on grass. red spider mites are found in deciduous woods and are a pest problem in orchards, particularly apples

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Agree with Callag, red spider mites are quite difficult to see, are not actually red and usually only when plants are affected do they become apparent. They are also more of a greenhouse pest in Ireland because they don't like moist conditions. The little clover mites are just so numerous everybody gets the creepies.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭heathcliff

bmaxi wrote: »
    Agree with Callag, red spider mites are quite difficult to see, are not actually red and usually only when plants are affected do they become apparent. They are also more of a greenhouse pest in Ireland because they don't like moist conditions. The little clover mites are just so numerous everybody gets the creepies.

I will look up clover mites and get back to u on this one but the ones that were all over the front of my house were bright red and if you squashed one it was full of red liquid.

They seem to have disappeared the last week or so,must have a short lifespan.I found them previously all over the window ledges and garden furniture and if you put your hand down anywhere you would get their red contents all over your hands,takes some scrubbing to clean as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭magmay

SPIDER MITES:
    Combine 1/2 cup buttermilk, 4 cups wheat flour and 5 gallons water. Suffocates spider mites and other mites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

This is why wikipedia is donkey balls

Taken from the wiki link given in the first reply.
    The Government is becoming extremely worried about these spider mites' feeding habits, as they have mutated over time and have become deadly to the public, mainly people living in rural areas. They now often feed on human blood, and despite their tiny size, they are able to drink up to 7 litres of blood. Unfortunately this could kill people if the spider mite is hungry as humans normally only have around 6 litres of blood in their body. If you think you could be in danger from these mites please contact your local exterminator to have a look around your area and make sure all deadly vermin and mites are extinguished.
    Sadly afterwards you will probably go missing as they have a tendency to burrow into your brain, (normally through earhole), and access your nervous system, to bring you back up as a host to millions of their hatchlings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement