Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you pick up accents or local phrases easily?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TriceMarie

AMixedBag wrote: »
    Although I do have a tendency to put an American thing to my voice sometimes when I've never even visited the place..?
    I guess I've been watching too much movies.:o

I had a friend when I was younger,whos little brother spoke with a profound american accent!!!:eek:
    It was wild like,none of them had ever been to America lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

i heard that the rate in which an accent changes is all to do with how inteligent you are..some people might move to usa for 3 months and have a really strong accent and some might be living over there for 10 years and only have expressions that are american.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TriceMarie

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    i heard that the rate in which an accent changes is all to do with how inteligent you are..some people might move to usa for 3 months and have a really strong accent and some might be living over there for 10 years and only have expressions that are american.

So if your accent DOES change,does that mean that you are intelligent??:p
    *hopes hopes*:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

TriceMarie wrote: »
    So if your accent DOES change,does that mean that you are intelligent??:p
    *hopes hopes*:p

Probably means that you're easily influenced.:(

Some people assume I'm from a completely different part of Ireland than I actually am.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Some people assume I'm from a completely different part of Ireland than I actually am.

:pac:

You sound like you're from the past... the recent past... like 2009ish.

cantdecide wrote: »
    You sound like you're from the past... the recent past... like 2009ish.

It's my thread bump experiment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Wow what stupid questions people asked in AH back in 2009. Thankfully it has matured in the time since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It's my thread bump experiment :)

Fine. I'll take the bait.

I picked up the 'eh?' from when I lived in NZ. That's the only way I've debased my wonderfully neutral beautiful soft Irish accent.

• Advertisement

I should probably have found a better thread to bump. I have absolutely nothing to add to this one. But please all of you do continue.

:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

Hmm, if I do it means I've watched too much TV. ;)

As a kid I had the habit of taking on the accent of whoever or whatever I admired the most at the time. My first teacher in primary school was from Yorkshire so I went through a period of a few years with a Yorkshire accent. Then I got into WWE then it took on that drawl. Then I became a rebellious teenager (accent wise) and took on my own. Mainly neutral with some bit of English / American affectations.

Well, I tell a lie. When Love / Hate was popular, my habit was to say "how-er yeh?". Then recently with Young Offenders it was all the Cork phrases and "Bai". Northside Cork is in the blood though so I'll let that pass. ;)

Basically, I watch too much TV(!) :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Phrases maybe, accents no. Seem to have taken after my dad. Before he married he lived all over the world for years at a time, but never developed an accent. He did absorb are specific local words. So after living in the States in the 50's for a couple of years, he continued to call estate cars "station wagons" and lifts "elevators". Though he hadn't the ear and capacity to imitate any accent but his own, so that could be much of it. I'd be the same.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I think the lower the self-worth, the quicker the new accent. A sort of please don't exclude me from your tribe.

Advertisement