Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baile an Chinnedigh

Options
  • 27-06-2009 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

im originally from newtown but dont get back to often, ive been gone for the last 12 years or so. just out of curiosity, whats it like these days? hows the football teams doing? are all the old teachers gone from st. josephs? hows that hotel doing? are those my feet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Spiralcars

lol, I can see a lot of people answered you there :D Baile an Chinnedeagh probably threw them.

Gone 12 years! Well I reckon all the teachers are gone from St. Joseph's, certainly didn't recognise any of the names when my brother attended 4 years ago.

It's still pretty much the same...the place not to drink is the To__ Ho___ (done like that as for years these were the only 4 lights that worked on the sign). The Village (B)Inn was done up there a couple of years ago, hence the drunken Sunday night madness has ceased, instead on a Sunday you get families in the lounge eating, and a few of 'da lads' in the bar - never full. The hotel would see a bit of business - more so from 'blow-ins' :) Sentra is still the same, selling everything and anything, and still the same type of people hang around outside the shop as did all those years ago, just don't give too much eye contact :eek:

There's a bit of community spirit these days and I think it's in the Tidy Towns competition, the hanging baskets certainly add a cheer to an otherwise dreary main street.

Ah sure it never recovered from the by-pass.....'this town ah ah, is getting like a ghost town ah ah'

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭YraggarY

Spiralcars wrote: »
    lol, I can see a lot of people answered you there :D Baile an Chinnedeagh probably threw them.

Gone 12 years! Well I reckon all the teachers are gone from St. Joseph's, certainly didn't recognise any of the names when my brother attended 4 years ago.

It's still pretty much the same...the place not to drink is the To__ Ho___ (done like that as for years these were the only 4 lights that worked on the sign). The Village (B)Inn was done up there a couple of years ago, hence the drunken Sunday night madness has ceased, instead on a Sunday you get families in the lounge eating, and a few of 'da lads' in the bar - never full. The hotel would see a bit of business - more so from 'blow-ins' :) Sentra is still the same, selling everything and anything, and still the same type of people hang around outside the shop as did all those years ago, just don't give too much eye contact :eek:

There's a bit of community spirit these days and I think it's in the Tidy Towns competition, the hanging baskets certainly add a cheer to an otherwise dreary main street.

Ah sure it never recovered from the by-pass.....'this town ah ah, is getting like a ghost town ah ah'

Now now, the Town House is a great place to drink, I've often had a great night in there, especially when there's a band on! The Village Inn got pretty rough there for a while too, I think a fair few of the "hard-lads" ventured up there after they were barred from the Town House! Have to admit though, the sign is fairly amusing!! :pac:

Football teams are still going strong, there's always been a fair few talented players in Newtown, and it still stands as a centrepoint for the community in general.

As for the types outside Sentra (I never understood how they got away with that name :p), a couple of them are the bored kids of the bored kids from yesteryear - a shame to see things like that happening but sure the same happens everywhere.

Been a lot of development around the area recently, Rossmore being a huge housing estate development that sprung up out of nowhere! Nice place though, lovely houses, and I think the influx of new people can only be good for Newtown and its environs! Always seems to be a new business springing up around the area! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sasmac

The school merged two years ago and is getting bigger, this year and last year they have 2 junior infants.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

And apparently Dunnes Stores are now opening in the town centre before Christmas ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

JoeTurner wrote: »
    And apparently Dunnes Stores are now opening in the town centre before Christmas ;)

Was that not said last year too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Was that not said last year too?

Many times!

Latest story I've heard from a couple of different people is that they are opening in the next couple of months. Make of that what you will....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

''quietly touts his business in the background...:D''

Every Friday night in the Village Inn (now the Mountkennedy Inn) there is a No Limit Texas Hold Em Poker Tournament (see 'Poker' board for more details)

Irish Poker Open 2010 entries up for grabs in the new League running.

Advertisement