Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade Fire - Mega Superthread. All gig/new album discussion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

Scien wrote: »

It's hard to express how incredible this is! True music..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Thankfully not visible - I and my friends were on the front row in the left hand chunk of the pit, and the camera boom spent most of it's time on the right hand one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Missed this cause I was at EP & it's gone private again. Is the full show available anywhere?
    Or a link by PM would be great ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Missed this cause I was at EP & it's gone private again. Is the full show available anywhere?
    Or a link by PM would be great ;)

I have the whole thing in 1080p and I've nowhere to put it. An audio rip is a few pages back though.

There are a couple of DVD versions of it floating around on a couple of torrent sites, but if all else fails, somebody has uploaded it on Arcade Fire's fan forum. He's asked that the link not be shared elsewhere, but sign up and have a look around the Live Recordings section and you'll find it handy enough. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just got a gift of two tickets for the concert in Marseille in November.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Very kind gift there pickarooney.

Enjoy!

Yeah, it pays off to casually read out loud the names of bands on posters for upcoming concerts in the presence of a loved one in the run-up to one's birthday :D

Now I have a spare ticket and need to find someone who's actually heard of Arcade Fire...

Yeah, it pays off to casually read out loud the names of bands on posters for upcoming concerts in the presence of a loved one in the run-up to one's birthday :D

Now I have a spare ticket and need to find someone who's actually heard of Arcade Fire...

lol, I bought 2 tickets for Dublin & told my girlfriend afterwards. She was like :confused:
    Then I just starting playing their songs in the car, put on the Reading highlights when they were on & put their webcast on the tv. Now she's looking forward to it :)

"Oh yeah, it's a great service. I got my tickets for Arcade Fire easily from there"
    "Yeah, I.. wait, tickets for what?"
    "Arcade Fire. The band."
    "Arwhat who now?"
    "Arcade Fire. Headline act at Oxegen? Number one album for a few weeks?"
    "what?"
    "Released one of the best albums ever? Considered the best band of the last decade?"
    "Huh? Are you making this up?"

I then played No Cars Go, but they weren't playing any attention...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

no no no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Got my ticket for december off the official site, still waiting for it! Can't wait :D

Yeah, the Crowdsurge ones will be sent out a few weeks before the actual show.

Out of interest, most of their set from Galicia a while back is up on Youtube.

Is there any way to find out the support bands beforehand?

For the O2 shows it's Devendra Banhart and Vampire Weekend, if that's what you're asking?

EDIT: Beat me to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

For the Marseille gig I think he means.

Oh, my bad.

I think they're with F*cked Up all over the rest of Europe.

Was listening to an interview last night where they suggested that they had been hoping all along to be doing this tour with the late, great Jay Reatard before his sad demise, which I thought was interesting.

Are F*cked Up any good? They're supporting them when I see them in Lisbon.

• Advertisement

Big angry punk. Not my thing, but I'm told by those of a punk persuasion they're some of the best of the modern crop, and they're supposed be immense live, which I can easily imagine.

Nah.. not my thing either!

At €30 a ticket, I wasn't expecting fantastic support.

Fishie in the Google Street View thread in After Hours just reminded me of this!

The Wilderness Downtown

Google Street View was launched in Ireland today, so this should be a bit more impressive!

EDIT: Still doesn't work.. says there's not enough Google Street View data! :( Never mind - worked second time! :)

A website designed for Chrome... how ridiculous is that?

A website designed for Chrome... how ridiculous is that?
    It's not specifically designed for Chrome.. it's optimized better, and looks best, in Chrome.

Same thing - you know well yourself that a decent website should render identically no matter what the browser (and shouldn't open up 8(eight!) extra windows).

• Advertisement

Same thing - you know well yourself that a decent website should render identically no matter what the browser (and shouldn't open up 8(eight!) extra windows).
    Not to get too far off-topic..

As someone who designs websites professionally, the speed of Google Chrome (ahead of every other browser out there) is why it was optimized for it. Not to mention patchy support for HTML5 in many other (and older) browsers.

And as for opening 8 windows, that's what was in mind with the video. And they wouldn't have opened nearly smoothy in anything other than Chrome.

It's damn impressive anyways!

The whole point of the thing was to play around with the possibilities of HTML5, which is why it's referred to as an "experiment". Chrome makes the best work of it, is all. Explorer is still in the dark ages, and Firefox labours a bit too much to make it watchable, but it works perfectly fine in Safari.

The numerous windows and the fragmented way they present the videos are an aesthetic decision, rather than just somebody falling over Nielsen's Heuristics in a drunken haze of code and gin.

EDIT: Maybe worth mentioning, the seeded paper for the postcards' real-world counterparts was in production as of last week, so your postcards might be finding their way to folk in the US shortly.

There are a couple of bits of the Oxegen set up on Youtube, expect a couple more over the next few days, and hopefully in better quality.

Worth noting I recieved a Wilderness Downtown response. I think the postcards are going around now...

Ditto, although my response didn't really relate to my letter at all.

The machine itself looks like this -

http://wps.com/J/WUTW/

- and has been cropping up at some of the US shows. There's an interesting piece about it at -

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2010/10/on-friday-night-at-the-second-of-two-sold-out-shows-that-arcade-fire-played-at-the-shrine-auditorium-a-group-of-anxious-jour.html
    "It's both a memory machine and a mysterious pen pal," he said. "And I wanted to introduce the idea of waiting, because e-mail is so instantaneous. There's not that, 'Did it get lost in the mail or accidentally get delivered to my neighbor?' There is no longer a time that is colored by waiting in the physical landscape."

The Wilderness Machine will remain mysterious by virtue of the fact that it will not make scheduled appearances. It will pop up at different Arcade Fire shows along the band's tour, or maybe at a train station in Austin or a bank lobby in Chicago. Milk is also in talks with an L.A. museum about scheduling an appearance with the machine there.

As far as the postcards themselves go, Milk says that more than 100,000 have been submitted, with hundreds more coming in each week. The messages are almost universally warm, tender and profound.
    "So far there are 125k submitted postcards in the database. That’s about 4 years worth if we left the wilderness machine running 24 hours a day."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Guys, I've sourced a couple of tickets for the Sunday night gig online.

The seller says he can email them to me as a PDF and I can then print them off after I ship him the money.

Does this sound ok? The seller has decent reputation, I'm more worried about someone else's name being on the tickets than anything else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

keane2097 wrote: »

The seller says he can email them to me as a PDF and I can then print them off after I ship him the money.

Does this sound ok? The seller has decent reputation, I'm more worried about someone else's name being on the tickets than anything else...

TicketFast tickets just get scanned at the door, they don't check the name. There's nothing to stop someone buying them as a gift.

As with all tickets you need to exercise caution. Obviously with Ticketfast someone can print them out multiple times and sell them on so you have to be sure they're legit and not a scummy tout.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

i'd be really wary, get as much info off him/her as possible. Have a read through the 'non gig questions' thread over in Gigs/Events to see what can go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

lordgoat wrote: »
    i'd be really wary, get as much info off him/her as possible. Have a read through the 'non gig questions' thread over in Gigs/Events to see what can go wrong.

The guy has good feedback on adverts, I'd be fairly happy that he's legit himself, and he'd be fairly easy to track down as well.

The only concern would be the ID thing.

Ditto, although my response didn't really relate to my letter at all.

The responses can just be someone else's postcard that was randomly assigned to you. I think mine was a direct reply though?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The guy has good feedback on adverts, I'd be fairly happy that he's legit himself, and he'd be fairly easy to track down as well.

The only concern would be the ID thing.

That won't be a problem, they'll just scan it in and away you go. Unless they've changed things alot!

http://www.mtv.com/music/artist/arcade_fire/performances.jhtml

Few scraps from Oxegen, you might need an American IP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I think Sprawl ii (Mountains beyond mountains) has to be a single at some point. Its got a strangely Abba-esque vibe about it, hence why I'd love to see a video for it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I think Sprawl ii (Mountains beyond mountains) has to be a single at some point. Its got a strangely Abba-esque vibe about it, hence why I'd love to see a video for it! :)
    I agree with you on that one, it definitely has the potential as a single. I don't really care much about seeing a video for it because i don't like music videos, but i'd actually love to hear that song being played in a niteclub, it has a nice disco feel to it.

On the downside however if they do release it as a single and it does pretty well and gets heavy air-play rotation and stuff, overexposure to the song might lead me to not enjoying it as much as i do now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Just got the new album this week. Really liking the fact they have ditched the slowly building wall of sound that the other albums had. Think it's a really good album. Fav songs are ready to start and the sprawl II which i would never guess was an arcade fire song if i heard it by it's self.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Crowd Surge ticket ain't come yet, not really worrying because they say to not expect it until 2 weeks before the gig but was wondering: The spelling of the name on the postal address was wrong, could that be a problem I should get onto, or I am too worried about small things :P

I think it should be fine, I think it's a scanned ticket job so that shouldn't matter at all.

Out of interest: They're going to be on SNL this week with Scarlett Johansson, and they're on Jools Holland next week.

There's a concert on MTV Friday night 11pm.

Crowd Surge ticket ain't come yet, not really worrying because they say to not expect it until 2 weeks before the gig but was wondering: The spelling of the name on the postal address was wrong, could that be a problem I should get onto, or I am too worried about small things :P

Crowd Surge tickets for Madrid Saturday-week haven't come yet, which is more worrying! :eek:

At Bologna CS changed it to Will Call last minute. Hmm. Not impressed with them. Email if you're worried.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    There's a concert on MTV Friday night 11pm.

Seems to be the Galicia show:

http://www.mtv.co.uk/shows/mtv-world-stage/episode/arcade-live-in-spain-preview

Out of interest, most of that show is already viewable on Youtube, from previous broadcasts in other territories.

But, as much as I love youtube, it's just not the same as having it on my TV. I'm auld fashioned that way, I think. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I think it should be fine, I think it's a scanned ticket job so that shouldn't matter at all.

Out of interest: They're going to be on SNL this week with Scarlett Johansson, and they're on Jools Holland next week.

Can't wait for that :D

Jools holland just delivers everytime!

Jesus, SNL is desperate. I mean, the sketches we usually hear about can be funny, but I guess we only hear about the good bits. Just... God.

Anyway. Arcade Fire don't always shine in TV performances, they can look a bit forced in front of studio audiences, and I have to say, it wasn't their finest hour. The mix was dog rough and they weren't in their usual form. The digital short they were in made me laugh out of the sheer f*cking weirdness of what I was seeing, but if it wasn't Arcade Fire it probably wouldn't have raised the slightest chuckle. That said, Arcade Fire's Arcade Fire, and it was cool to see Owen Pallett playing with them again, not to mention Nick Zinner and Nico Muhly.

Digital Short:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

My Crowd Surge ticket hasn't arrived yet either! Will be well worried if it's not here by next week!

On Jools now, BBC2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gregsor

8-10 wrote: »
    On Jools now, BBC2

Well what did you think?

Put it on for 5 minutes,i like to savour Jools for Friday night repeats when it just goes that extra mile:D.

Is it just that certain of their songs sometimes are hard to perform live?

Advertisement