Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade Fire - Mega Superthread. All gig/new album discussion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Just picked up the deluxe edition today, delighted to discover it contained a download code for the awesome extended version/remix of Ready to Start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

They were class last night. In really good form with a nice mix from all their albums. And it didn't rain!

Set list below.

Ready to Start
    Wake Up
    No Cars Go
    Haïti
    Intervention
    Rococo
    Speaking in Tongues
    Crown of Love
    The Suburbs
    The Suburbs (Continued)
    Month of May
    Rebellion (Lies)
    Neighborhood #2 (Laika)
    We Used to Wait
    Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)

Encore:
    Keep the Car Running
    Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
    Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I was disappointed that it took me a while to find the Absolute Radio Extra stream (it was really badly linked on their site) and then I had to leave before they came on. Looks like a lovely setlist though. Any radio rips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Had a blast in Hyde Park yesterday, thought they put on one of the best shows in a while (better than the point) and the set list was great.

IMG_6662.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

I thought the band were great but that the sound system was really ropey at Hyde Park. Put a bit of a dampener on it and really didn't do the guys justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I would have given up a body part to have been there...

I'm glad all attended had a good time.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

What were Beirut like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Great, but the vocals were a bit low - same for Owen Pallett - and that made the energy pretty inconsistent. Like, when Zack was playing trumpet everybody went nuts, but then there was a bit of a lull when he was singing.

Had a good time. Not the most amazingly lifechanging set they've ever played or anything, but a fine day out. Board games! Cinema tent! Retro arcade!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

Ok guys, I'm know I'm not the only one with this problem. I missed "Scenes From The Suburbs" when it was available free online, and now I cannot find it anywhere! Never before have I not been able to find a movie/ TV episode posted up for free on some website, but I just can't find this one! Does anybody have a link? I am desperare- I really really wanna see this short film!
    Any help much appreciated guys :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Ok guys, I'm know I'm not the only one with this problem. I missed "Scenes From The Suburbs" when it was available free online, and now I cannot find it anywhere! Never before have I not been able to find a movie/ TV episode posted up for free on some website, but I just can't find this one! Does anybody have a link? I am desperare- I really really wanna see this short film!
    Any help much appreciated guys :D

Only legit links please.

• Advertisement

There's a radio rip from Hyde Park floating around out there, for folks who were there looking for a nice souvenir.

Just out of interest, somebody has Scenes From The Suburbs up on Vimeo in full, but I'm not sure if that qualifies as legit for our purposes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Why not, Vimeo is a free video sharing site like youtube. Any infringements is the uploader's problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

If it's up on Vimeo or Youtube then link away.

Cool, no harm to check:

http://vimeo.com/25847265

Like I say, don't go in expecting anything too coherent. The kids are great actors though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah watched it when it was on Mubi. I'm a massive Spike Jonze fan (I even loved Where the Wild Things Are!) but thought it was trying too hard, especially when a lot of the symbolism wasn't as smart / original as they thought it was (airplanes symbolising freedom? Boo!). But it has a likable tone at times, and some good ideas, even if they're buried in an overly disjointed structure. It does, though, revisit the prevalent themes of the Suburbs, even if the music seems a bit shoehorned in!

As with Miroir Noir, I think it was a shame it wasn't released way earlier in the album's lifespan. Both movies work really well in conjunction with the albums, it seems like a waste to just staple it on after everybody's been listening to them for months.

You're right about the music being a bit shoe-horned in. And I mentioned it before, but I also found the band cameos a little bit distracting - having Win narrate, sing and act in the thing is just a wee bit much.

Arcade Fire/ Partners In Health are looking for volunteers for Electric Picnic.

http://www.lokahioutreach.org/ArcadeFire.html

Have a look around the thread for a bit more info on what volunteering entails, but basically, put in a few hours fundraising every day and get a free ticket to EP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Arcade Fire/ Partners In Health are looking for volunteers for Electric Picnic.

http://www.lokahioutreach.org/ArcadeFire.html

Have a look around the thread for a bit more info on what volunteering entails, but basically, put in a few hours fundraising every day and get a free ticket to EP.

Thanks for the link Jill!

No problem, hope you get a slot. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Have any who applied for an electric picnic slot with partners in health gotten a reply yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

Have any who applied for an electric picnic slot with partners in health gotten a reply yet?

I did, no reply though... :(

They can be really reeeeeeeeally late about notifying volunteers. I've asked around, I don't think they've contacted anybody for this show or even for the one in Manchester on the 31st.

If you applied to volunteer, it might be worth checking your emails, some of the others shows were contacted today.

Have any of you guys been contacted, out of interest?

Nothing as of yet! :(

384957414.jpg

:D

Pretty much given up on a Partners in Health slot, considering its thursday and still no reply :( Suppose it was always worth a try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I desperately want a Who The Fuck is Arcade Fire t-shirt. they better start selling online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Colm! wrote: »
    I desperately want a Who The Fuck is Arcade Fire t-shirt. they better start selling online.

What about "i'VE HEARD ARCADE FIRE AND I'M NOT SCARED ANYMORE"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Just popped in to say the Manchester gig was in my top 5 of all time - absolutely mind blowing...
    They played Wake up real early and ended with Rebellion (lies) and The Suburbs 1 & 2... I just wish I could find a way to get to Electric Picnic tonight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

electric picnic was just simply outrageous!!
    what a performance!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Was right up at the front for Arcade Fire at EP. That was seriously the best gig I have ever seen in my life. And I've seen Bruce Springsteen!

I was chatting to one of the guys selling the tshirts for Haiti on Saturday. Unfortunately I didn't have the money on me at the time so I couldn't get one but found them on Arcade Fire's website so ordered one last night. :)

arcc-014-arcade-fire-mens-pih-t-shirt-navy-d.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

That was seriously the best gig I have ever seen in my life. [/IMG]

it's definitely well up there alright, what a gig !!

Just listening to 2fm playing highlights of the gig, amazing. Like reliving it in my mind right now. I got a Haiti t-shirt there.

• Advertisement

http://twitter.com/#!/jennyhuston/status/111176858955038720
    @JennyHuston They said they would have let us play more live from the set but have a DVD coming out soon :)

Oooh.

Any links to the 2fm broadcast to download? A live DVD of the show would be great. The only thing I worry it may lack is crowd footage. There was no camera crew in the pit, just a photographer for the band.

Were you at the show Jill/what did you think compared to other shows?

I thought it was great, even if it wasn't maybe the most amazing show I've ever seen. It was the best festival set I've seen from them though definitely, but then again I wasn't at the 2005 super legendary one, you know? :p

I was watching from one of the platforms to start with, but there was no atmosphere up there at all, so I came to my senses and joined the commoners. The crowd was a funny one, some patches were mad into it, and then about a foot to the left or right, they were totally dead.

I did think there was a bit of lost momentum with Rococo and Suburban War in the middle like that, I'm just not sure the Suburbs stuff lends itself to a really intense festival set as well as the Funeral and Neon Bible material on it's own did. Launching into Rebellion like that knocked my socks off though, thought it was a fantastic way to kick off the last leg.

Made for an excellent double header with Pulp.

Unless they came down into the crowd and sang to me personally then I don't know how they would beat the 2005 show, mainly because it was everyone's first time seeing them and no matter where you stood (I was 1/2 way back) the atmosphere was electric. Tents have that effect more than outdoors where it's easy to lose it.

I was up front for this gig so still loved it. Some pics below and more when you click here.

6118140434_299a8c4896_z.jpg
    6120056518_026cdee403_z.jpg
    6120077340_0f4b828b36_z.jpg
    6119544939_50ea9cd101_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

I personally thought the poor quality sound from the EP main stage hindered Arcade Fire. They played very well, and it was a good set. But the sound from the main stage was a bit weak. I seen them in the O2 last year and they sound was far more thunderous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Unless they came down into the crowd and sang to me personally then I don't know how they would beat the 2005 show, mainly because it was everyone's first time seeing them and no matter where you stood (I was 1/2 way back) the atmosphere was electric. Tents have that effect more than outdoors where it's easy to lose it.

I was up front for this gig so still loved it. Some pics below and more when you click here.

6118140434_299a8c4896_z.jpg
    6120056518_026cdee403_z.jpg
    6120077340_0f4b828b36_z.jpg
    6119544939_50ea9cd101_z.jpg

weird looking bastards but such a wonderful band

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

...The crowd was a funny one, some patches were mad into it, and then about a foot to the left or right, they were totally dead...

That's were I was :(
    I suppose at a festival you're going to get a mix of genuine fans & people who where dragged along by friends or who don't really know who they are and are just there to see what all the hype is about.
    I personally thought the poor quality sound from the EP main stage hindered Arcade Fire. They played very well, and it was a good set. But the sound from the main stage was a bit weak. I seen them in the O2 last year and they sound was far more thunderous.

Spot on. I think it hindered every band that played over the weekend.
    We moved a few times to try and find a better spot but everywhere we went the volume of the music was too low & the volume of people having a chat was too high. We weren't even that far back.
    Enjoyed the O2 gig way more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Bumpedy bump

Love this, dance in front of your webcam!

http://www.sprawl2.com/

Normal video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awHWColYQ90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

Great to see them back even if it is just for a movie soundtrack.

Check out the stream on EW: http://music-mix.ew.com/2012/03/02/hunger-games-arcade-fire-songabrahams-daughter/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm never sure about Arcade Fire songs in isolation and out of the context of an album.

But I really like this one. it really has a "movie soundtrack" feel to it if anyone knows what I mean. I love the atmospheric second half of the song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Really like the sound of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

On first listen, I thought it was just a bit ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I thought it was bleurgh..

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

Word on the street is that the fourth album is well under way - exciting times!x

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

Scratch that. another year to wait at least.

• Advertisement
Advertisement