Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade Fire - Mega Superthread. All gig/new album discussion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I bet this new track will the most 'different' one on the album, used to promote the new album. The rest will be standard AF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Listened to it this morning. It's very underwhelming. By the 3 minute mark the song has outstayed it's welcome, it's a joke that it's nearly 8 minutes.

To be fair, if a new band emerged with this as their first single nobody would give them a second listen. This is sub-par for Arcade Fire and the ridiculous hype surrounding the release of the single and album just makes the song seem an even more paltry offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭mosstin

Listened to it this morning. It's very underwhelming. By the 3 minute mark the song has outstayed it's welcome, it's a joke that it's nearly 8 minutes.

To be fair, if a new band emerged with this as their first single nobody would give them a second listen. This is sub-par for Arcade Fire and the ridiculous hype surrounding the release of the single and album just makes the song seem an even more paltry offering.

Christ, so you've heard it, eh, once on the radio and you'd already dismissed it by the 3 minute mark! Bizarre. Give it a few listens maybe? As it happens 3 minutes in the song really takes off. Complete departure for them and a superb song.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭blackwave

On first listen, I was a bit unsure about this song but it really has grown on me I have to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

mosstin wrote: »
    Give it a few listens maybe? As it happens 3 minutes in the song really takes off.

The problem is after hearing it once it felt like I had given it a few listens, it's repetitive, boring and over-long. I definitely don't think it takes off after 3 minutes, just runs out of lyrics round then.

The problem is after hearing it once it felt like I had given it a few listens, it's repetitive, boring and over-long. I definitely don't think it takes off after 3 minutes, just runs out of lyrics round then.

Seriously, try listening to it a few times. If you don't like it then, fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm a huge fan of the song.. but it's probably their least radio-friendly song IMO.

Is there even a radio edit of the single?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Just gave it my first dedicated listen. I like it. It'll grow on me too. A good departure from a more confident sounding band. Looking forward to the new LP now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Still a bit iffy on it, I definitely think it could do with some trimming but then it doesn't feel like a 7 minute song and it's been bouncing (reflekting) around my head all day long. It's definitely grown on me and it's great that they can still release something fresh yet recognisably Arcade Fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

After a few listen it's a 5/10 track and quite underwhelming. Chop two and a half minutes of it, get rid of some of the repetition and it'd be much better imo.

Hopefully the album is of a higher standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Zaph wrote: »
    Really don't like that at all. Hopefully it's not an indication of what the rest of the album will be like.

Brace yourself. Butler here:
    "Some of the stuff on here is going to surprise people. It's even more different than 'Reflektor,'" referring to the record's James Murphy-produced, David Bowie-assisted title track.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭RoboAmish

Xavi6 wrote: »
    After a few listen it's a 5/10 track and quite underwhelming. Chop two and a half minutes of it, get rid of some of the repetition and it'd be much better imo.

Hopefully the album is of a higher standard.

Yes, I agree with all this. Far too long... keep expecting it to end around the 4 min mark but it just keeps going.

Some of it is interesting enough instrumentally but any impact it has is dulled by its repetitiveness and length. Not doing it for me.

I like that it's a bit "out there" while still sounding like Arcade Fire but they could definitely have shaved a minute or two off of it. It's too repetitive for my liking and maybe could have used a bit more of Bowie (not particularly a fan of his but if you get him on your record at least get him to do a bit more than that!) Hasn't dampened my expectations for the album though.

Oh and the video is creepy as hell, I don't think I wanna watch it again!

Is Reflektor a double-album? This article seems to suggest so.
    The 'Ready to Start' band's latest record is a huge double album, and the band believe they have created a body of work which works as a concept album but will also get people moving.

EDIT: Amazon seems to indicate 2 discs too...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

Basq wrote: »
    Is Reflektor a double-album? This article seems to suggest so.

EDIT: Amazon seems to indicate 2 discs too...

Yeah, Win Butler gave an interview with Zane lowe and said it was a double album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I have to say I never got the Arcade Fire hype but Reflektor made me delve into my pockets and went out and bought their albums. I think Funeral is awesome, do their next two albums come close to their debut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Looper007 wrote: »
    I have to say I never got the Arcade Fire hype but Reflektor made me delve into my pockets and went out and bought their albums. I think Funeral is awesome, do their next two albums come close to their debut?

The Suburbs left me a bit cold, but it seems to have been beloved otherwise. Neon Bible probably isn't as great an album in itself, but it struck a chord with me in a major way, so I love it to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Most people seem to like Funeral the most but I prefer Neon Bible. I thought The Suburbs was rather disappointing though.

The Suburbs did have 'Sprawl II' though... which is definitely in my top 3 Arcade Fire songs.

• Advertisement

Just uploaded over on the Arcade Fire Facebook..

.. the tracklisting for Reflecktor:

5mHEJu.jpg

While it's a double-album, there's 7 tracks on the first CD and 6 tracks on the second disc. So I get the impression it's more of a "concept double-album" than a case of too much material for one CD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Yeah, too much material for one CD alright (quite a few 7min+ songs noted) but it's definitely not going to fill two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I really liked The Suburbs but it was way too bloated and needed to be trimmed significantly.16 tracks? Way too many. Some of the weaker ones should've been left off the album.

I'm hoping the same doesn't happen to this album. 2 discs is all well and good, but it still adds up to only 13 tracks and the way people consume music now the idea of having a 13 track double album is redundant. It'll be a 13 track single album when someone has it on their iPod or Smartphone.

Odd press-release and/or artwork - check
    Long first single with creepy video - check
    Announcement of 13-song tracklist on two CD's, complete with possible "concept" that rest of world will almost certainly to get - check

They've clearly been spending time with The Knife because 'Reflektor' is basically 'Shaking the Habitual' all over again! :pac:

Most people cite funeral as their best album, but I have a huge soft spot for Neon bible. Well and the lighthouse, black mirror and keep the car running are some of my favourite Arcade Fire songs.

Most people cite funeral as their best album, but I have a huge soft spot for Neon bible. Well and the lighthouse, black mirror and keep the car running are some of my favourite Arcade Fire songs.

Ocean of Noise is such an under rated track.

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Ocean of Noise is such an under rated track.

I love when the horns kick in at the end of that song. Also forgot to mention Black waves/bad vibrations, I love that song too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I probably haven't heard that song since that tour. After listening to it there I don't particularly plan on listening to it for another 7 years or so.

Every time I listen to Reflektor and I get to the piano riff near the end, all I hear is the piano riff from "Odessa" by Caribou

4.45 in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

love half of Funeral and think The Suburbs is a modern masterpiece,but I actually can`t listen to Neon Bible. Soggy,murky production and the songs are so bloated and pretentious, it makes U2`s Joshua Tree sound like a Happy Mondays album..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I've always been more a Funeral type of guy but Neon Bible doesn't come too far behind it. Some brilliant songs on that such as Keep The Car Running, Ocean of Noise and No Cars Go (my favourite AF song).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Colm! wrote: »
    Yeah, too much material for one CD alright (quite a few 7min+ songs noted) but it's definitely not going to fill two.

Nevermind then! It's 75 minutes, the length of one CD - in fact, the same length as The Suburbs (Extended Edition)

I've always been more a Funeral type of guy but Neon Bible doesn't come too far behind it. Some brilliant songs on that such as Keep The Car Running, Ocean of Noise and No Cars Go (my favourite AF song).

I think funeral would be my favourite album, but the neon bible tour is probably my favourite era of the band, I mean powerout and haiti with all that brass?

Four new songs debuted on Saturday Night Live and an NBC Special last night: Afterlife, We Exist, Normal Person and Here Comes The Night Time.

If you're a purist, you might want to wait, as they have that sh1tty TV production sound. Tracks here. I almost wish I hadn't listened, how am I expected to wait the whole of October? :rolleyes: They sound great (well, not the sound, but the songs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Those songs sound fantastic, can't wait to hear the studio versions

Here Comes The Night Time is quite user-friendly. I can very much see it being the Sprawl II of Reflektor.

Also, at first I thought We Exist was Arcade Fire does Billy Jean :pac:

You can watch the Arcade Fire special that aired after the show here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fFAKrIntzY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I love Afterlife. My favourite of the new songs. Can't get it out of my head.

Cannot wait for tour dates to be released. I'll want to go to them all!

Rolling Stone have already published their review of the album, for anyone who may be interested:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/reflektor-20130927

Flashbulb Eyes, Joan of Arc, Supersymmetry and It's Never Over here.

That's nearly the whole album with what we've heard. I cannot wait for the studio versions; I call a leak this week.

• Advertisement

Rollercoaster Records in Kilkenny started selling the new album today

Seems unusual that there's still no leak but record store(s?) have started selling the album!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

8-10 wrote: »
    Rollercoaster Records in Kilkenny started selling the new album today

did you or anyone you know buy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Anywhere in Dublin selling it?

mystic86 wrote: »
    did you or anyone you know buy it?

Nope I've pre-ordered. That was the only store worldwide selling up to now and the bands management stopped it pretty quickly so I doubt many were sold.

I'm honestly more excited about tour dates than the album. Cannot wait for more gigs, cracking live band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Heard the new song earlier and it's a bit *meh*. Nothing very original going on and I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to like it just cos it's AF?
    It's good but......

Listening to the new album now. Really like it, it's a new sound for them but it works well. Only finished the first CD so far, can't wait to finish the whole thing

Listening to it myself. Not sure if it's just the version I have, but it sounds a bit overproduced. Some songs are mighty though. ahem Supersymmetry. Arcade Soundsystem ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭RoboAmish

Apparently, half of Supersymmerty is missing. It's supposed to be 11 mins...

Will this be up at midnight on itunes?

Advertisement