Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade Fire - Mega Superthread. All gig/new album discussion.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Will Butler sent NME a postcard.

http://www.nme.com/news/arcade-fire/50437

It, and some "exclusive artwork", will be published in the next issue.

EDIT:

Seems likely that the "exclusive artwork" is the back of the postcard:

arcade-fire-reading-leeds.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Maybe a slot at Slane, obv depending on who is going to headline Slane... maybe and AC/DC support slot would be a stretch too far in taste and fan appreciation.

Either somebody on Twitter has let the cat out of the bag, or wires got crossed somewhere along the line.

The other day, one dude who works for Austin television tweeted somebody else who works for an Austin music television show, to ask if Arcade Fire were going to be recording another live set for TV broadcast "since they're in town filming with Spike Jonze" right now anyway.

Jonze was casting Austin teenagers for a "short film" a while back and is indeed in Austin filming... something. Whether or not Arcade Fire are involved is the question.

Arcade Fire's spokesperson has since dismissed the story, but to be honest, it's been my experience that their spokesperson's primary job is to deny things which later turn out to be true, so I'd take that with a pinch of salt. As far as /Film is concerned, it's definitely happening and they've confirmed it with "the highest possible source."

In the meantime, summary of their forthcoming festival dates:

July 2 - The Hove Festival, Norway
    July 4 - Rock Werchter, Belgium
    July 9 - Oxegen, Ireland
    July 31 - Osheaga, Canada

August 8 - Lollapalooza, US
    August 27 - Leeds Festival, UK
    August 28 - Reading Festival, UK
    August 29 - Rock en Seine, France

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Emelio

do they have a single out or was i imagining things? pretty sure i heard some dj waffling on about it..

also, whats the latest word on irish dates.
    they are playing day 1 in oxegen, right?
    and prob an 02 date that has yet to be announced??

There's a single in the pipeline to be released sometime before the album, but no solid word on when, AFAIK. Rumour has it that the thing they're doing with Spike Jonze might be a short-film/ extended video based around it, though, which might be what the DJ was talking about.

A friend of a friend bumped into Win in Austin a while back, although I'm told they're not filming just yet. The movie apparently concerns "friends who grow apart over time."

Re: Irish dates, yeah, pretty much. They're headlining the Friday night at Oxegen, and the word is that a few nights in the O2 later in the year were part of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

personally im freaked they are playing oxygen... id much rather see them playing their own gig without having to trudge down to knackersville... slane would be amazing to be honest, but it would do well to match the picnic or their phoneix park gigs. Either way its great that they're back

the picnic gig was the stuff of legends
    dont think i'll ever see anything like it again

the park was good too even if the neon bible religious vibe was a little overbearing at times

the greatest live band in the universe though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

personally im freaked they are playing oxygen... id much rather see them playing their own gig without having to trudge down to knackersville... slane would be amazing to be honest, but it would do well to match the picnic or their phoneix park gigs. Either way its great that they're back
    Thats being a bit harsh. Was at oxegen a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot. Arcade Fire played at the gig and was brilliant.

• Advertisement

was there to mate, nice afternoon/evening performance. but tbh the amount of little scumbags that fall around oxygen puts alot of people off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Thats being a bit harsh. Was at oxegen a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot. Arcade Fire played at the gig and was brilliant.

Calling Oxegen knackersville is not being harsh enough IMO.

quarryman wrote: »
    Calling Oxegen knackersville is not being harsh enough IMO.
    Maybe poster who brought it up had a bad experience there. I enjoyed the day myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Maybe poster who brought it up had a bad experience there. I enjoyed the day myself

meh, I've been to it several times, I've also been to EP a lot and there's no comparison when it comes to the kind of crowd that attends. With Oxegen I just go to see the acts and then just get the hell out of there. There's no alternative entertainment, its overcrowded and over-priced.

This is just my opinion, I don't want to turn this thread into an EP vs Oxegen thread.

I would agree with that conclusion and think festivals in Eire are far over priced vis-a-vis my country

i dont want to turn it into an EP Vs Oxygen either to be honest. eitherway id raher see Arcade Fire play their own gig in the park again... a sunny day like today siiping cans beforehand would be beautiful.

• Advertisement

The cans-in-the-park bit last time around was great. It made for a bit of an event, indoor venues can't compete in that regard.

That is illegal is it not in Eire?
    Drinking in public spaces?

Not quite. It's illegal to be so drunk in public as to be a danger, and then there are local bye laws about it, but as far as I know, it's not nationally illegal. Anyway, so long as you're civilised and maybe a bit discreet about it, it's grand. We were a few feet away from the road in the shade of a tree, so it's not like we were stumbling around the town drinking from a bag or anything.

Good times. We had a rare couple of days of nice winter weather and there was a really nice picnic atmosphere, sitting in the sunshine listening to the soundcheck. Beat that, O2.

As a useless bit of trivia, Win Butler turned 30 today.

Their manager has confirmed there'll be Dublin dates later on this year, in response to an inquiry, but no details. He also mentioned some all-age Spanish dates, and he's dropped a few more hints that there could be something "special" planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Their manager has confirmed there'll be Dublin dates later on this year, in response to an inquiry, but no details. He also mentioned some all-age Spanish dates, and he's dropped a few more hints that there could be something "special" planned.

"Special" to me would be a gig with no Ray D'Arcy/Ray Foley fans of the band.

Awaits angry feedback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

"Special" to me would be a gig with no Ray D'Arcy/Ray Foley fans of the band.
    I know they're radio DJ's but I never listen to the radio so I don't get what you mean. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Sinfonia wrote: »
    I know they're radio DJ's but I never listen to the radio so I don't get what you mean. :confused:

He means the people who only got into the band after they started getting mainstream airplay.

It's the classic "I prefer their earlier stuff/I'd heard of them before anyone else" which, let's be honest, we all do from time to time.

*puts on music snob hat*
    I, for instance, much prefer the version of No Cars Go on their first EP and my favourite Arcade Fire song is Old Flame.

The above statement is true but it does sound like I'm being a pretentious snob if I say it in the right tone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

To be fair the original No Cars Go is much better.

But what's even better is the live version from 1984, Japanese import only, but you probably haven't heard that one...:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Agreed Jeff. I'm not being snobby about who gets into a band, but when people jump on the bandwagon en masse and you can't get to see the band in a nice smaller venue (+ have no chance of getting a bleedin' ticket) and the gig is full of people who are more interested in being seen there and posting a Facebook update about being at the gig - these are the types that ruin a good gig.
    The Ray D'Arcy crowd as I like to call them. Jump on the bandwagon of a song that is overplayed on his show. Much like Florence's success in the last year (because they started overplaying that song wot was in the O2 ad).

I love the old and new Arcade Fire music so I'm not a "I prefered the old stuff" Eyebrowy kinda snob.

Due to start announcing their own show dates next week, apparently.

Yup, first date of their own has been announced. 30th of June in Sweden's Dalhalla, an opera house built on a quarry lake that holds about 3000. It looks like this:

dalhalla3.jpg

4560399132_86ed03a64d_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Thank you for the heads up!

Ticket purchased venue 280Km outside stockholm :/. No idea how to get there but we'll see how it goes...

Looks amazing! The 2nd pic however looks like they put tooo much of a stage in. If you want to use the Quarry for its natural resonance and vibe dont go ruining it with a whopper epic stage. Kinda defeats the purpose.
    Would love to see them there!

Woden wrote: »
    Thank you for the heads up!

Ticket purchased venue 280Km outside stockholm :/. No idea how to get there but we'll see how it goes...

I'm putting my faith in the theory that if Sweden can built an opera house on a lake, they can run a useable public transport system.

I mean, they've probably got joy-powered hovercars straight to the venue or something.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Sigur Ros have played there, meant to sound as amazing as it looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Can I just say a big thank you to Jill_Valentine for putting so much time & effort into keeping this thread updated? Its been on the go for nearly a year now. Cheers Jill! :D

It was that, or sit here watching old youtubes, rocking back and forth like a war widow.

"Sooner than expected" my arse, Win Butler.

It was that, or sit here watching old youtubes, rocking back and forth like a war widow.

"Sooner than expected" my arse, Win Butler.

You not listen to anyone else? There is a whole other world of fireness to fuel your passion :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,047 ✭✭✭✭Basq

C'mon new album DAMNIT.. plus a non-Oxegen Irish show!!

You not listen to anyone else? There is a whole other world of fireness to fuel your passion :p

Ha. :D

Contrary to the impression this thread might give, I do like a lot of bands, but most of the ones I'm mad into, like LCD Soundsystem and chums, were also all off recording their own albums at the same time.

And I've tried tiding myself over with Mumford & Sons, but dammit, it's just not the same.

And I've tried tiding myself over with Mumford & Sons, but dammit, it's just not the same.

Seriously your listening to Mumford and Sons to fill in an Arcade Fire scope? I love both Mumford and Arcade Fire but not as opposed to each other. If you want something closer to Arcade Fireesque have you ever listened to Neutral Milk Hotel? mcuh closer to Arcade than Mumford(although Mumford are amazing too)

Hope you enjoy Neutral Milk Hotel

Seriously your listening to Mumford and Sons to fill in an Arcade Fire scope? I love both Mumford and Arcade Fire but not as opposed to each other. If you want something closer to Arcade Fireesque have you ever listened to Neutral Milk Hotel? mcuh closer to Arcade than Mumford(although Mumford are amazing too)

Hope you enjoy Neutral Milk Hotel

The M&S thing was kind of a joke. I don't get the comparison either, but I've yet to see a Mumford & Sons review without an AF mention in there somewhere. NME called them "Arcade Fire with banjos!" at least once, which, given that Arcade Fire have banjos, amused me a little.

NMH aren't my thing. I appreciate the influence Mangum and co. have had on all the indie that's out there, but they just don't hold my interest.

The M&S thing was kind of a joke. I don't get the comparison either, but I've yet to see a Mumford & Sons review without an AF mention in there somewhere. NME called them "Arcade Fire with banjos!" at least once, which, given that Arcade Fire have banjos, amused me a little.

NMH aren't my thing. I appreciate the influence Mangum and co. have had on all the indie that's out there, but they just don't hold my interest.

Really? Woah that is astounding. I dont read NME so I dont know what their writes say but as ive said I dont think M&S(as you say, still reminds me of marks and spencers or somethign else I cant put my finger on lol) are at all like Arcade Fire. Im just thinking that many indie people are surprised that Arcade Fire and Mumford have both been resoundingly succesful. IM glad for one. Next we need the guitar solo revolution again!!

Oh you dont like NMH? that now is very surprising! on a side note have you ever listened to The Strawbs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhEwjCoGru8
    Amazing!!

also... are you a Frames fan? :p

So they announced Oxegen FFS!!!!!! :( somebody should contact their management and telll em itsa kip and their real fans would pack out Marley Park!

• Advertisement

We are really spoilt. Arcade Fire must have been over here five times in the last three years. Some posters can be very possessive ;)

So they announced Oxegen FFS!!!!!! :( somebody should contact their management and telll em itsa kip and their real fans would pack out Marley Park!

This was announced ages ago was it not?

I don't see what the big surprise is, it's not like they've never played Oxegen before.

This was announced ages ago was it not?

I don't see what the big surprise is, it's not like they've never played Oxegen before.

I know but im out of my Oxegen going phase and couldn't be bothered with the hassle involved in it. When they could easily play say Marley Park or Phoenix Park or RDS and sell it out as their own show.

I know but im out of my Oxegen going phase and couldn't be bothered with the hassle involved in it. When they could easily play say Marley Park or Phoenix Park or RDS and sell it out as their own show.
    Could be Arcade Fire want to do the festival. Had a very good time there last time. Was a great gig.

I'm not a fan of Oxegen at all but do you think that Arcade Fire have any idea what Oxegen is actually like for the punters?

They don't.

In general bands do festivals, they get paid and (unless it's one of those inclusive festivals where bands stay around for the whole weekend) they leave promptly without ever getting a real feel for what goes on.

To be fair when I saw them there a few years ago they really interacted with the crowd. They got that the crowd liked the set they were playing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

We are really spoilt. Arcade Fire must have been over here five times in the last three years. Some posters can be very possessive ;)

They haven't played here since October 07, I think.

Yes so thats like two and a half years ago which isn't that long. As a rule bands dont tour unless they have an album or new material to promote. Anyone know when the new single is due. Heard is around June or so.

Yea I was at that set too. But being on-stage and gettign a good vibe is not the same as their fans now going to be 3years or so older and not wanting to bother with a ****ty festival.

Remember, Arcade Fire are indie in the truest sense of the word, and they buy their own dinner. It's no secret that they prefer to be doing their own shows to festivals by quite a margin, but it's the festival slots that fund those tours. And as previously mentioned, the Oxegen set is apparently part of the horse-trading done to get the venue they want later on this year.

About singles and albums... The record seems to be done, and the mastering is at the very least underway, but somebody who apparently works for their distribution end of things has been insisting it's been bumped to September. The album was originally pencilled in for some time this summer with a single due in May, but that seems to have hit a few speedbumps; not least among them, I suspect, the Haitian earthquake.

As for the single, whatever they filmed with Spike Jonze is likely a promo video tied in with it, and that's expected to be out in August. It would seem odd to me for them to start playing festivals with new material before the album itself is out, but if the album has been unexpectedly delayed, the dates could well have been booked before it happened.

All remains to be seen though, I mean they've done a fine job of keeping themselves very quiet indeed. They were to play a private show in Texas for the cast and crew of the Spike Jonze thing, but somebody blabbed to Twitter so they had to scrap it.

REM I think wrote one of their albums while touring. So assume they will be playing some new songs in their set.
    Again the snobbery around Oxegen is a bit defeating. Its a great day out for anyone who has never done it.
    Yeah it is aimed at a younger audience but there are other stages within the venue where folks can go.
    Only thing wrong with Oxegan is the overlapping acts. Brian Wilson if memory serves me right was on at same time as Arcade Fire so missed most of his set. That said saw him in the Point

• Advertisement
Advertisement