Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade Fire - Mega Superthread. All gig/new album discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Yeah, it's not uncommon to tour stuff in development, but Arcade Fire tend to be a bit finicky about their quality control. At least one, possibly two documentaries about them have been made and shelved purely because they weren't happy with the final result. I'd find it strange that they'd be happy to let new songs out there via thousands of youtubes from festivals before they're absolutely, positively finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Brian Wilson if memory serves me right was on at same time as Arcade Fire so missed most of his set. That said saw him in the Point
    Nope Brian Wilson was on after Arcade Fire, I saw both full sets.
    It would seem odd to me for them to start playing festivals with new material before the album itself is out.

Bands do it all the time. Playing tours and shows and festivals before the new album is released. Plus a festival crowd is notorius for wanting just the hits so regardless I can imagine them not playign much off the new album at the gig maybe 3/4 new songs max. Just because they wont have the physical album that wont stop them from enjoying the new material regardless.

I know plenty of bands do it all the time, I'd just find it a bit out of character for this one. I mean, they've gone to enormous lengths to keep schtum about this album - they've been recording this thing on and off for three years now, bear in mind, and the only thing we know about it is that it's probably got something to do with the suburbs and that the people who've heard it think it's good - and then the first time they try any of the new stuff out on a live audience is during their first festival headliner tour, in front of crowds like Reading? That's a big stage to fail on, you know what I mean?

If that is how it's going to work out, I'd hazard it's not how they wanted it, at least. Win Butler's a very nice dude and all, but I'd bet a Whispa Gold that the guy likes keeping a very tight handle indeed on what does and what doesn't have the band's name on it, and it just seems to sit a little oddly that he'd be willing to commit effectively unfinished songs to youtube before they're even set in stone for the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

I know plenty of bands do it all the time, I'd just find it a bit out of character for this one. I mean, they've gone to enormous lengths to keep schtum about this album - they've been recording this thing on and off for three years now, bear in mind, and the only thing we know about it is that it's probably got something to do with the suburbs and that the people who've heard it think it's good - and then the first time they try any of the new stuff out on a live audience is during their first festival headliner tour, in front of crowds like Reading? That's a big stage to fail on, you know what I mean?

If that is how it's going to work out, I'd hazard it's not how they wanted it, at least. Win Butler's a very nice dude and all, but I'd bet a Whispa Gold that the guy likes keeping a very tight handle indeed on what does and what doesn't have the band's name on it, and it just seems to sit a little oddly that he'd be willing to commit effectively unfinished songs to youtube before they're even set in stone for the album.
    Its an interesting point. They dont allow you to film at indoor gigs so assume that should apply outside as well.
    Im loathe to watch you tube live clips as a rule because as a rule the quality is just so bad.

Exactly. If Arcade Fire debut a developing song at a festival, then the first time several thousand people will get to hear it is with Youtube quality sound, via the microphone on somebody's digital camera, while a load of Jay Z fans chatter among themselves in the foreground.

It would seem to me a strange thing for them to do, given how much care they've always taken about presenting their music. We'll see though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Exactly. If Arcade Fire debut a developing song at a festival, then the first time several thousand people will get to hear it is with Youtube quality sound, via the microphone on somebody's digital camera, while a load of Jay Z fans chatter among themselves in the foreground.

It would seem to me a strange thing for them to do, given how much care they've always taken about presenting their music. We'll see though.

Or worse, a phone.

I reckon we might have an album title.

It only reads "Arcade Fire Presents" now, but a few minutes ago the header on the band's homepage switched to "Arcade Fire Presents "The Suburbs"".

Could refer to the Spike Jonze film, but they'd have no reason to announce that now, and the full working title for that has been "Scenes From The Suburb" all along.

Amazon sez: Single on June 1st.

http://www.amazon.com/Suburbs-Month-May-Arcade-Fire/dp/B003M3UJTO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1273902868&sr=8-1

Dunno though, given that they're also advertising one "Neon Bibble", Amazon might not be surgically accurate every time...

Speaking of Arcade fire, guess where she got this song from for Naked Eye. This has been doing the rounds last few days and official video it seems has been pulled.

http://idolator.com/5494722/new-kelly-clarkson-song-naked-eye-surfaces-twitter-braces-itself

this another link who cant spot the comparison between the two songs
    http://kroq.radio.com/2010/05/12/arcade-fire-gets-ripped-off-by-kelly-clarkson/

It's pretty cheeky alright, and it's not the first time Clarkson and co. have done something like it. The Since U Been Gone/Maps thing being the most infamous example, but I'm told she had a song that sounded quite uncannily like a Spoon track as well.

EDIT:

AF's representation have reported that the listing is "incorrect". We'll see.

EDIT 2:

postcard1_small.jpg

postcard2_small.jpg

• Advertisement

Yeah think that "Since you been gone" was from early Nirvana. Pretty sure song was inspired by "About a girl"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just put on Facebook a few minutes ago!
    Arcade Fire: Hey everyone... we've got a new 12" single out soon, you can hear a short preview of both tracks on http://www.arcadefire.com/ now!

EDIT: Gah.. this record thing is too bloody awkward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Emelio

this does not impress me i'm afraid
    expectation always high with the arcade fires

basquille wrote: »
    Just put on Facebook a few minutes ago!

EDIT: Gah.. this record thing is too bloody awkward!
    Someone stole JV's thunder. Wont be happy :rolleyes: wtf I have to spin this record around to get it playing.:eek: Ah I see whats going on here. Quite like the intro though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 foals

its only about 20 seconds so i cant really judge . but its a good 20 seconds

Ha, yeah, I was at Wolf Parade last night, so I can't complain.

The easiest way to listen to the two songs is at the direct embedded links, so you won't have to flute around with the record player:

The Suburbs
    Month of May

The Suburbs sounds very National-y or Badly Drawn Boy-ish.

Month of May is really unexpected. It sounds kinda rockabilly, and bizarrely, not unlike Eagles of Death Metal to my ears, which is something I never thought I'd say about an Arcade Fire song, but I think the little snippet you can hear of it is probably misleading.

Australian radio station reckons it might be a double album, they're insisting Arcade Fire have recorded around 38 songs this time around.

Ha, yeah, I was at Wolf Parade last night, so I can't complain.

The easiest way to listen to the two songs is at the direct embedded links, so you won't have to flute around with the record player:

The Suburbs
    Month of May

The Suburbs sounds very National-y or Badly Drawn Boy-ish.

Month of May is really unexpected. It sounds kinda rockabilly, and bizarrely, not unlike Eagles of Death Metal to my ears, which is something I never thought I'd say about an Arcade Fire song, but I think the little snippet you can hear of it is probably misleading.

Australian radio station reckons it might be a double album, they're insisting Arcade Fire have recorded around 38 songs this time around.
    Double album you say . Dont like the sound of that.

We'll see, I have a suspicion that the Spike Jonze thing might have some sort of release associated with it that's distinct from the album proper - and assuming they have actually got 38 songs recorded, there's no reason at all why they have to commit them all to disc. There were a couple of songs recorded for Funeral and Neon Bible that will probably never see the light of day.

We'll see, I have a suspicion that the Spike Jonze thing might have some sort of release associated with it that's distinct from the album proper - and assuming they have actually got 38 songs recorded, there's no reason at all why they have to commit them all to disc. There were a couple of songs recorded for Funeral and Neon Bible that will probably never see the light of day.
    Yes there is no reason to commit every song to disc. I would be very much against a double album here.
    That said liked the intro on Suburbs. Hope it lives up to the hype

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not sure why you guys are so against a double album, in my experience any decent artists who decide to double it up tend to have a good reason and motivation to do so. Hell, two of my favourite albums - 69 Love Songs and Have One on Me - are triples, and totally worth the two hour plus investment! Arcade Fire have been away long enough to put together that much material, and while it is almost impossible to judge from the two snippets released, it does sort of suggest some diversity. Nothing solid yet, but I'd definitely welcome a double album that gives them room to experiment, as well as pleasing long-term fans!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

+1 to the above. Eels blinking Lights is a double of high quality too

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Not sure why you guys are so against a double album, in my experience any decent artists who decide to double it up tend to have a good reason and motivation to do so. Hell, two of my favourite albums - 69 Love Songs and Have One on Me - are triples, and totally worth the two hour plus investment! Arcade Fire have been away long enough to put together that much material, and while it is almost impossible to judge from the two snippets released, it does sort of suggest some diversity. Nothing solid yet, but I'd definitely welcome a double album that gives them room to experiment, as well as pleasing long-term fans!

I can name 10x more crap double records than good ones.

Choose 10-12 good songs and release a record that everyone will love.

There's no good excuse for bloat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I'd be very excited by the prospect of a double album. Some of the greatest artists' defining moments were double albums..

200px-Music_blonde_on_blonde.jpg200px-TheClashLondonCallingalbumcover.jpg200px-TheBeatles68LP.jpg200px-ExileMainSt.jpg200px-Jimi_Hendrix_-_Electric_Ladyland.jpgpink-floyd-the-wall-big-200x200.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

<Ollie> wrote: »
    I'd be very excited by the prospect of a double album. Some of the greatest artists' defining moments were double albums..

200px-Music_blonde_on_blonde.jpg200px-TheClashLondonCallingalbumcover.jpg200px-TheBeatles68LP.jpg200px-ExileMainSt.jpg200px-Jimi_Hendrix_-_Electric_Ladyland.jpgpink-floyd-the-wall-big-200x200.jpg

So:

Hendrix's worst and an extremely bloated and filler packed PF record?

Don't particularily rate Exile, but that's me.

The other thing is that this is the indie/alt forum.

It's not that hard to find two example's from a 20 year period containing some of the best records of all time (60s-70s), but can you find as many in the the last 15 years?

On top of that there are literally dozens of examples of garbage, from Chicago to Iron Butterfly to Smashing Pumpkins to The Who to Led Zeppelin... And on and on.

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    So:

Hendrix's worst and an extremely bloated and filler packed PF record?

Don't particularily rate Exile, but that's me.

The other thing is that this is the indie/alt forum.

It's not that hard to find two example's from a 20 year period containing some of the best records of all time (60s-70s), but can you find as many in the the last 15 years?

On top of that there are literally dozens of examples of garbage, from Chicago to Iron Butterfly to Smashing Pumpkins to The Who to Led Zeppelin... And on and on.

back on topic now guys. thanks.

• Advertisement

I'm not opposed to the idea of double albums as such, but I think it's got a higher risk involved. Arcade Fire's quality control is generally pretty high, but a double album can be a tricky thing to pull off without a load of filler.

Anyway, I can't remember if I mentioned this previously, but somebody with remarkable eyesight and memory noticed that the little diamond design that's on all their postcards is a modified version of the international symbol for HAM radio. There's a watermark that's barely visible on one of them, W6UK, that's a well known call sign belonging to an apparently fairly well-known HAM dude. Apparently, Win and Will Butler's grandad Alvino Rey was quite the HAM enthusiast too. Would make sense, he was into electroacoustics in a big way, and his early work with early, weird electroacoustic sounds, and his "singing" pedal steel were a big part of the early development of the electric guitar.

Check it out.

Copies of the "super limited" 12" have started showing up in stores. Somebody found one in a record store in Glasgow.

Copies of the "super limited" 12" have started showing up in stores. Somebody found one in a record store in Glasgow.
    So Arcade Fire will no doubt will be rushing back to studio to upstage the pirates if what you say is right about the urge to control everytihing.
    That said I did buy a copy of Warehouse Songs and Stories and it was officially a preview copy.

I think Arcade Fire stole a march, Month of May has just been played on BBC's radio station.

It's lot of fun, it's Ramonesy. And kind of intentionally dumb.

hope it is available on you tube soon. Will tie in nicely with my single of the month thread :D

actually here it is. :D
    http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/05/26/check-out-arcade-fire-month-of-may/

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

beat you to it :D another exlusive by SOTS :D Very heavy to be honest but like it.

Damn you :)

The wait is over. Here for the first time on Boards, Arcade Fires Month of May/ the Suburbs.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/05/26/check-out-arcade-fire-month-of-may/

3 years is it?

Feels good.

Both songs should be up on that link now.

Hard to believe it has been that long. Really like what they have done here. Reminds me a bit of sidewalking by JAMC re the guitar bit.

:D:D:D

Flonk yes!

Suburbs is pretty great.

Yes listening to that now. Great to hear them again. The Suburbs is ****ing brilliant.

• Advertisement

This the other single. Thought May was a quiet month so these two singles are a wonderful surprise.
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/files/2010/05/Arcade-Fire-The-Suburbs.mp3

went for a big ol' merge mainly in honour of jill v's work in keeping this thread alive and imo it's one of the best threads in alt/indie for content and contribution.

Thanks for that.

And that title was just getting embarrassing. :D

EDIT: From what I can gather, the "super limited" 12 inch white label vinyl of these songs is going to start appearing in "random" indie record stores over the next few days. They've pressed a few thousand, but will be holding back some to sell at shows.

Thanks for that.

And that title was just getting embarrassing. :D

I can fix it to something else if you like?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

lordgoat wrote: »
    I can fix it to something else if you like?!

How about:

Jill Valentine and Arcade Fire Sitting In a Tree? ;)

:p

Arcade Fire LP#3? We should have an album title soon, supposedly there's a promo copy of it on it's way to Zane Lowe, and I think there's to be a phone interview with Win tomorrow evening on his show.

I'll be at work at the time. Blah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Fecking love The Suburbs..

.. they've been away far too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Currently listening to The Suburbs - pretty awesome.

I loves Arcade Fire so I does.

• Advertisement

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127118125#commentBlock
    Listen live at noon ET on Thursday, May 27, for the U.S. premiere of two new songs by Arcade Fire, from the band's upcoming album.

All Songs Considered host Bob Boilen will talk with Arcade Fire's Win and Will Butler about the record and offer a special preview of the songs "Month of May" and "The Suburbs." Listen to the conversation on this page and tell us what you think of the new songs in the chat below.

What would you ask Arcade Fire's members about the making of their new album?

Advertisement