Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade Fire - Mega Superthread. All gig/new album discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00sg875

45min in and then on the hour...

all sounds good to be honest... esp with jim carrol saying they're coming to the 02 before christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Thanks for that.

And that title was just getting embarrassing. :D

EDIT: From what I can gather, the "super limited" 12 inch white label vinyl of these songs is going to start appearing in "random" indie record stores over the next few days. They've pressed a few thousand, but will be holding back some to sell at shows.
    You better mention me in your acceptance speech, Jill. Silly me for thinking I could steal your thunder. Fair is fair though, you have carried the torch here for the fire :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Info including preorder details up on their website.

"The Suburbs " it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

So it's a double album then. This is from their website..
    Double 12″ vinyl + premium digital (gatefold, 180 g) $24.99

That's around €20 for a double vinyl album which is pretty good value. Pity I've no turntable.

The cd and premium digital prices are good value too. A few other options on offer, like limited edition posters for the hardcore fans too.

This is going to be one long thread once the album is released. :)

This I think will be the official video for the song. Jeff you will appreciate this one. Its a collage of photos. Done very well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really like the suburbs alright, nice change of pace from the usual Arcade Fire song and yet undoubtedly a song of theirs (building up to an epic ending).

Month of May I'm not so sure about, but The Suburbs bodes well for the full album!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

This I think will be the official video for the song.

I doubt it. It looks like a homemade video, albeit a very good one indeed. Excellent song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

R

Month of May I'm not so sure about

Bit different isn't it? I think it's great though, especially for a B-side.

I like Month of May a lot but see why Arcade Fire chose Suburbs for B side as its poppier.

The versions on http://www.arcadefire.com/vinyl/ are significantly higher quality than the Zane Lowe rips, and it makes a real difference to the second half of The Suburbs in particular. Give it a bash.

• Advertisement

Seemed to be buffering issues with the page so there was quite a few interruptions.. great idea though with the spinning disc.

Alternatively, you can hear the full version of The Suburbs on the lyrics page, along with the interactive visual lyrics sheet, which is pretty fun.

I'm guessing the images mostly come from the Spike Jonze thing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Had my first listen killing the last 5 minutes of work. Think there is decidely a badly drawn boy (circa hour of the belwiderbeast era) feel to it.

Not a bad thing.

After one listen it's ok. Maybe it will grow but we'll have to wait and see.

Alternatively, you can hear the full version of The Suburbs on the lyrics page, along with the interactive visual lyrics sheet, which is pretty fun.

I'm guessing the images mostly come from the Spike Jonze thing.
    See that. Had a bit of fun re-arranging the lyrics there. Like how they slowly worked the strings into the song. Builds very slowly but its a slow burner. I can see this been a very big hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Wow, 2 very different songs. I just noticed they mention "The Suburbs" in the lyrics of Month of May. Clever boys (and girls) :D

Month of May sounds like Bruce Springsteen produced by DJ Shadow!! The Suburbs is a nice poppy number. Like both songs for different reasons. This new album is gonna be mega, I'm sure of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The wait is over. Here for the first time on Boards, Arcade Fires Month of May/ the Suburbs.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/05/26/check-out-arcade-fire-month-of-may/

So does Boards owe you royalties now, Mr Exclusive?? :rolleyes:

monkey9 wrote: »
    So does Boards owe you royalties now, Mr Exclusive?? :rolleyes:
    Cheque is in the post as we speak :D

Btw arcade interview available to download on all things considered podcast on NPR. Just type in All things considerd and NPR into your i tunes player and it will pop up. At this stage think this is the musical website of the year. Range of material is phenomenal. Very revealing interview here. The word eponymous was accidentally slipped into the conversation so that maybe the title.
    Wim and Will on it. Very revealing as to what the album will sound like. Excellent interview.

"The Suburbs" is definitely the album title, it's been up there in the preorder page on their homepage for a few days. Will was correcting himself for using the word "eponymous" incorrectly rather than trying to unsay it, if you catch my drift.

It's a nice interview alright though, and there's a lot of it. Win and Will were in good form. I'd say they'll be a lot less chatty from here on out. I have to say, I'm looking forward to the "electronic" stuff and the Régine songs a lot.

EDIT: I thought the stuff about "Well, these songs are all so much worse than Funeral it's hard for me to pick a favourite" was pretty funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

beat you to it :D another exlusive by SOTS :D Very heavy to be honest but like it.

You didn't beat him, you edited your post a minute after he posted it.

miltonu wrote: »
    You didn't beat him, you edited your post a minute after he posted it.

Seen as this is one of your first posts in alt/indie consider this a warning.

If you respond to any poster as such again you will be banned. Do not reply to this on thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

lordgoat wrote: »
    Seen as this is one of your first posts in alt/indie consider this a warning.

If you respond to any poster as such again you will be banned. Do not reply to this on thread.

Well this is kind of puzzling, seeing as I simply pointed out what actually happened no? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

The Suburbs is a great tune but musically its a bit safe, doesn't sound like they're really stretching themselves. I think the The Badly Drawn Boy comparison is apt. Reminds me of Something To Talk About.

Month Of May sounds like the soundtrack to a John Hughes movie.

The Suburbs is a great tune but musically its a bit safe, doesn't sound like they're really stretching themselves. I think the The Badly Drawn Boy comparison is apt. Reminds me of Something To Talk About.

Month Of May sounds like the soundtrack to a John Hughes movie.

Got to agree here PC, very much whelmed by the two songs not over or underwhelmed just a bit average imo. And wouldn't inspire alot of excitement about the album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

lordgoat wrote: »
    Got to agree here PC, very much whelmed by the two songs not over or underwhelmed just a bit average imo. And wouldn't inspire alot of excitement about the album.

Yeah, as an introduction to new material I don't think the two new tracks stand up well in comparison to, say, Intervention and Keep The Car Running which got me quite excited about Neon Bible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Daithio2

I'm pretty disappointed with the suburbs to be honest. It's not bad, but it's just quite plain. I'm pretty certain if I heard it without knowing it was Arcade Fire I'd not bother listening to the next track on the album.

The first warm-up show of the year is on the 7th, so stay tuned to Youtube for an idea of the rest of the album.

Right, they've started announcing US dates, UK dates for September expected to follow over the next week and presumably Ireland will be under that batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Breath of fresh Arcade Fire are,love their music from the start and whilst my album purchases have declined in the last few years due to boredom of the same played out music again and again,they can expect another purchase from me,i`ve yet to be let down by them.

Must get to see them live this year or i`ll never forgive myself.

I can`t help but but crank up the volume when Month of May comes on,divine :D.

They played a secret show in Montreal tonight. Around 70 people in an abandoned building, apparently there was some pro recording equipment there.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=249&filename=15231850.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Be warned, Win Butler has apparently finally just surrendered to a full-on Mullet. He's looking very much business up front and party at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Interesting setlist

new songs did very little for me on first listen.

Show review.

http://www.saidthegramophone.com/
    GORGEOUS DEMOLITIONS
    posted by Sean

Arcade Fire - Notman House, June 4, 2010.

You could hear them through the walls. We waited, stooped on the steps of the Notman House, and you could hear the unmistakable call of the band inside, soundchecking, rehearsing, throwing full fists of guitar-chords. As the sky left wet pinpricks on our arms, I imagined a thousand people assembling in the street, squeaking to a stop on their bikes, hearing that wild noise through the walls and knowing: they're back.

Arcade Fire had not played in Montreal for three years. Now, before releasing their third album, before touring festivals and arenas, they were playing a small room to a very small crowd. It was not a "secret" show; it was a private one, a warm-up for Monday's warm-up. And although it was an open secret that Arcade Fire had been practicing for weeks around the corner from my house, at the Ukrainian Federation, I don't know that any of us had heard a note. For The Suburbs, they were laying low. And then someone pulled open the door of this dusty, crumbling mansion, and fifty of us slipped inside.

In the Notman House living-room, they played twelve songs. They stood on a ragged carpet, sweating. Christmas lights were braided over amps, keyboards, guitar-stands. It was like I was back in 2002, watching my favourite band play at a party for Concordia grad students. This time, their instruments were new, polished, rare; the crowd concealed tattooed crew-members and a flotilla of photographers; the group were veterans and stars, and I was jaded. But as Arcade Fire fired into their second song, an incredible number called "Ready To Start", I discovered something I had not expected: the eight-piece I had loved and loved and loved were once again my favourite band.

They wore denim, plaid, haircuts shaggy or close-shaved, like junior-high ca. 1994. Régine, Richard, Sarah and Will played with all the unrestrained joy they always have, wide-mouth singing. Tim and Jeremy were proud soldiers. Win looked older, sang better; he stared at us with a doomed gaze, weary and smoldering. Yet this is not the same band who made Funeral or Neon Bible; Arcade Fire seem sharper now, tighter. There are no drama club histrionics. They are not over-serious; they are simply serious. Their hooks and handclaps are underlined by noise, feedback, thundering four-axe attacks. They no longer sound anything like their imitators, and if once they evoked Bruce Springsteen, U2 or the Talking Heads, on Friday I heard the Clash, New Order, Clues and Big Star.

They played eight new songs. At home, I had been warming slowly to "The Suburbs" and "Month of May", listening to them spin on my turntable, ever so slightly warped. Live, both were better. "The Suburbs" crackled with tension, dread rising up in violin, viola and synths. There was a similar feeling to "Modern Man" and "Suburban War" - tunes that seemed both desperately lost and very precise. They felt different than what Arcade Fire has done before: measured, simple, but still tightly coiled. Like the work of Spoon: a song as it is, tempered until it's more than it is. Nothing unnecessary, no loose flames. Win sang like he was made of straw.

It was a different story on "Empty Room" (I think that's its name), a howling rocker with Régine singing lead. And "Rococo" is a delicious maze of a pop song, with the title as its chorus. "Rococo rocococo." Win sings it like it's a death sentence; but around him, behind him, the band make it baroque and birdsong. My favourite was either this or "Ready to Start", a hit in the making; noisy, electric-charged, built on bass riffs and handclaps.

Songs like "Tunnels" and "Power Out" sounded as good as they ever have (and "Keep the Car Running" sounded better). "Wake Up" seemed angrier. But the new songs were so strong that I didn't crave the old; I was almost disappointed to hear "Wake Up" as the encore. Lyrically, the new ones felt like brothers and sisters: suburbia is an extension of Neon Bible's downtown ennui. Win is still asking questions about purity and purpose, but whereas the last album aimed at gigantic idols, the new imagery feels more personal. In these songs, I heard nothing like "Antichrist Television Blues" or "Windowsill"; there were no apocalyptic fables or ambitious world slogans. Instead, there was naturalism: small pictures of joy, calamity and stasis. The images were nostalgic, bittersweet, but never maudlin. I heard regret; I heard loss; and a sometimes direct voicing of heartbreak.

For the first time since the departure of Brendan Reed and Dane Mills, eons ago, Arcade Fire have two drum kits. Régine and Jeremy played together for just the first few songs, but instead of adding elaborate flourishes, polyrhythmic fills, the drummers were each-other's ghosts. It was as if the drums were double-tracked, folded back upon themselves, like the shadows in an old cassette tape. Other than this change, the new material didn't bother with instrumental novelties: no hurdy-gurdy, melodica or accordion. Instead, there were often just four electric guitars, heavy as hell, and charging.

Leaving for the show that night, there had been the frisson of attending a small and secret event; excitement for new music; sadness that I couldn't bring guests; but also a degree of distance, the self-conscious cynicism of going to see a band that I loved less than I used to. Two hours later, I had been completely overtaken. I was dazzled and rosy. I was with a friend, thrilled and thrown, smiling old smiles. Feelings I thought I had left behind were unfurling in me.

I do not know what The Suburbs will be, with its hundred cooks in the kitchen; nor what this band will sound like on an arena's wide, clear sound system. I know just that I went to an exceptional show on Friday night, by a group called Arcade Fire. They had unearthed treasure chests. I'm grateful.

PopMontreal have started uploading bits of music from the show:

Their first proper show is tonight in Canada. Somebody waiting in line tells me the band just came out to chat with everybody and bought them all donuts.

That's Canadian rockstars for you.

From last night's show, I'm pretty sure I prefer this song to either of the singles.

Arcade Fire are playing a secret-ish show in a parking lot in a Montréal suburb tonight, from 8.30 Canuck time. Not sure what time that is for us.

The important bit is that this dude here will be live-streaming the whole show, be aware that he's incredibly French Canadian. He also looks sort of like a slightly inflated Earl Hickey.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/pierrecote

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Arcade Fire are playing a secret-ish show in a parking lot in a Montréal suburb tonight, from 8.30 Canuck time. Not sure what time that is for us.

The important bit is that this dude here will be live-streaming the whole show, be aware that he's incredibly French Canadian.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/pierrecote

They're 5 hours behind, so 1:30 am for us.

At least I think that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gregsor

"I have to leave right now. sorry to all. this is a request from the band "#arcadefire
    updated 3 hours ago by pierrecote

Thats a pity:mad:

Yeah, shame and a strange thing. Seems he didn't have all the permission he needed.
    By respect, because they asked me not to, I will not stream the show. It is a big decision I am taking. Sorry guys.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=813&filename=s1p.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640
    #arcadefire à Longueuil: des spectateurs surprenants!

Ha!

Ready To Start and We Used To Wait, US and UK singles respectively, here:

http://blogs.1077theend.com/aharms/2010/06/14/stream-1st-official-arcade-fire-single-ready-to-start/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Ready To Start and We Used To Wait, US and UK singles respectively, here:

http://blogs.1077theend.com/aharms/2010/06/14/stream-1st-official-arcade-fire-single-ready-to-start/

cheers as ever Jill, any word of a european tour?

Nothing proper, just a couple of scattered dates and festival appearances so far:
    06/28 - Senaatintori, Helsinki, Finland
    06/30 - Dalhalla, Rättvik, Sweden
    07/02 - The Hove Festival, Arendal, Norway
    07/04 - Rock Werchter, Werchter, Belgium
    07/05 - Casino de Paris, Paris, France
    07/09 - Oxegen, Punchestown Racecourse, Ireland
    07/12 - Festival d'ete de Québec, Québec, QC, Canada
    07/13 - Ottawa Bluesfest, Ottawa, ON, Canada
    07/31 - Osheaga, Montreal, QC, Canada
    08/01 - Bank of America Pavilion, Boston, MA
    08/02 - The Mann Center, Philadelphia, PA *
    08/04 - Madison Square Garden, New York, NY *
    08/06 - Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD *
    08/08 - Lollapalooza, Chicago, IL
    08/09 - Ryman Auditorium, Nashville, TN
    08/11 - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Atlanta, GA *
    08/14 - Toronto Centre Island, Toronto, ON, Canada
    08/27 - Leeds Festival, Leeds, UK
    08/28 - Reading Festival, Reading, UK
    08/29 - Rock en Seine, Paris, France
    08/31 - Tempodrom, Berlin, Germany
    09/02 - I-Day Festival, Bologna, Italy

* with Spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Goolay

Official Tracklisting!

1. The Suburbs
    2. Ready to Start
    3. Modern Man
    4. Rococo
    5. Empty Room
    6. City With No Children
    7. Half Light I
    8. Half Light II (No Celebration)
    9. Suburban War
    10. Month of May
    11. Wasted Hours
    12. Deep Blue
    13. We Used to Wait
    14. Sprawl I (Flatland)
    15. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
    16. The Suburbs (continued)

British pre-orders get a code for tickets to a secret-ish upcoming London show.

Incidentally, "Mountains Beyond Mountains" is the name of the book about Dr. Paul Farmer, the guy behind Partners In Health, the Haitian healthcare organisation that Arcade Fire support. Win & Régine visited some of Partners in Health's hospitals a few years back and as previously noted in the thread, were due to go back within days of the earthquake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Pre-ordered the album. I'm in the UK so I better get a code to buy tickets next week!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

Listened to ready to start a couple of times yesterday - found myself singing along to it when I woke up this morning. Can't wait now for the official release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Win & Régine visited some of Partners in Health's hospitals a few years back and as previously noted in the thread, were due to go back within days of the earthquake.

You know what? I've only just realised that the Win & Régine from the Final Fantasy song This Is The Dream of Win & Régine and the Win & Régine from Arcade Fire are the same. :o

Do I get de-modded for that?

You know what? I've only just realised that the Win & Régine from the Final Fantasy song This Is The Dream of Win & Régine and the Win & Régine from Arcade Fire are the same. :o

De-modded and Jill gets to spank you in a totally non-sexual way. Fetch the Indie-Paddle Jill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

DoubleFacePalm.jpg
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Sinfonia wrote: »
    :p

Banned for use of Star Trek pictures. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement