Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade Fire - Mega Superthread. All gig/new album discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

That was the most fúcking monumentally brilliant thing ever. As I said in the AH thread, I was welling up by the end. Utterly fantastic. And every one of the new tracks sounded 100% better live.

Beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

My Opinon on a few of the Suburb songs has changed after that, mainly Month of May, how nuts was that!

Well worth staying up for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

If anyone has spotted a nice HQ downloadable rip somewhere, would they please post it?

Doubt it's against the rules since it streamed live anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

They played Sprawl II? Bah, why didn't they have that in their set a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 bigguy086

One of the fake leaks circulating was by a band called Wildlife, maybe give them a bash?

cheers pal thats them. some good tunes would you agree. how in the hell did they get their stuff on to that leak. thats marketing genius :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Coming from a night out to see that was amazing. With the lights off in the room, it was almost as if I was there. Almost. Best concert I've never been to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I think this is alright, but it not, Mods just holler.

MP3 from last night's show:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?rehwd71qqq4pqn3

I will warn though, I've heard a load of Arcade Fire live bootlegs, and they always ruin the studio versions for me. Big, live loudness FTW.

Kudos jill..

Is that a fan bootleg (recording from the crowd) or capture of the audio stream from YouTube?

The latter would obviously be MUCH better.

EDIT: I think that rip is from the night before last.. notice the date: 2010-08-04 Madison Square Garden, New York, NY.zip

Actually, I'm just listening to it now, you're right. Somebody chucked me the link, so I passed it on without checking. My bad, I'm just home from work and I'm half braindead.

In the meantime, Vevo have started uploading bits and pieces. I think they did about three songs a day, for a couple of days, after The National show, so I presume it's gonna follow that pattern.

Terry Gilliam intro:

Some songs.

• Advertisement

No worries Jill... always useful to have a bootleg anyways.

Hope they put the videos up on the YouTube channel alright.. I'm saving the HD videos as they go up anyways. If they keep on going, I'll merge them and watch them on my WDTV at the end of it. And I'll strip the audio out for my iPod.

If anyone wants videos of what's up so far:

Ready To Start
    Rococo
    Empty Room

Pre-Show Behind the Scenes
    Twitter Interview, Pt 1
    Twitter Interview, Pt 2
    Twitter Interview, Pt 3
    Twitter Interview, Pt 4

Was due a visit to my brother, sister-in-law and my niece and nephew in Lisbon this year. So decided to visit them on November 18th - November 22nd (no reason why I choose those dates obviously)! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Finally got my hands on the physical copy. I notice they refer to themselves as "The" Arcade Fire in the sleeve notes, but just Arcade Fire on the cover. I always put the "the" in there when I'm referring to them, cos thats how Tom Dunne first introduced them to me :D Sorry for being pedantic!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Finally got my hands on the physical copy. I notice they refer to themselves as "The" Arcade Fire in the sleeve notes, but just Arcade Fire on the cover. I always put the "the" in there when I'm referring to them, cos thats how Tom Dunne first introduced them to me :D Sorry for being pedantic!

They've said they don't care and they put it both ways all over the place...

So both ways IS the correct way...

d'oh!

Couple more vids on the YouTube channel today including 'Sprawl II' (EPIC!):

I do recommend downloading them as they are removing the videos that were up previously.. although they appeared to have deleted 'Empty Room' and 'Rococo' and re-uploaded them.

And for the downloadable versions:

Empty Room
    We Used To Wait
    Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
    Keep The Car Running
    Rococo
    Wake Up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Daithio2

Have had this album on repeat now for about a week and I really like it. It's no Funeral, but to be honest I think that's irrelevant; using that album as a benchmark is always going to end in disappointment. Stand out tracks for me are the first half light, deep blue, we used to wait, and of course sprawl II. There are a few weaker moments when held against the best tracks on the album, but as a whole I think it plays through really well. Can't seem to warm at all to month of may though.

James Murphy looking absolutely f*cking delighted with himself during We Used To Wait.

Awwww.

fojfh3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

The Suburbs > Funeral.

That is all.

The Suburbs > Funeral.

That is all.
    Whoa whoa whoa.. that's a pretty big claim!

I certainly prefer 'The Suburbs' to 'Neon Bible' but as of yet, I don't think it comes close to matching 'Funeral'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

basquille wrote: »
    Whoa whoa whoa.. that's a pretty big claim!

I certainly prefer 'The Suburbs' to 'Neon Bible' but as of yet, I don't think it comes close to matching 'Funeral'

Obviously, that's just my opinion and its one which I fully realise most people will probably disagree with. But i'm coming from the viewpoint of not having been the world's biggest Arcade Fire fan and, in particular, thinking Funeral was somewhat overrated. I always thought it was a pretty good album but I never really understood the level of reverence it receives.
    Several tracks on Funeral left me a little cold. For me, The Suburbs just works better as a whole. Even Month Of May, which I was unimpressed with on first hearing it in isolation, works pretty well in the context of the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Obviously, that's just my opinion and its one which I fully realise most people will probably disagree with. But i'm coming from the viewpoint of not having been the world's biggest Arcade Fire fan and, in particular, thinking Funeral was somewhat overrated. I always thought it was a pretty good album but I never really understood the level of reverence it receives.
    Several tracks on Funeral left me a little cold. For me, The Suburbs just works better as a whole. Even Month Of May, which I was unimpressed with on first hearing it in isolation, works pretty well in the context of the album.

+1 on this to be honest.

While I absolutely love Funeral, it has 10 tracks, there are more than 10 tracks on Suburbs that I think are amazing.

Nothing as strong as Tunnels or Wake Up maybe but some quality quality tracks on Suburbs.

Watching the videos that are up now, Sprawl II definitely still needs a bit of work, but if they can figure out the live arrangement, it'll be awesome. Régine doesn't have the world's greatest voice, but by and large, she can get away with it if she just belts it out. Her lack of confidence was as out-of-character as Win's - gasp! - public display of affection.

Anyway, AF's manager told somebody on Twitter that they're hoping to have some UK dates announced next week, so fingers crossed they're including us under that. Don't tell After Hours I said so though, they'll lynch me.

They're also "looking into" some ideas about what to do with the webcast footage - they're apparently not interested in a straight up DVD or Blu Ray release.

• Advertisement

I'd say they'll play here in early December.

Only the one new video today.. but it's a stunning 11 minute video of 'Power Out' and 'Rebellion':

And the downloadable version: Power Out / Rebellion

Awesome.

Goes to show though, people just don't know what to do with giant crowdsurfering rockstars anymore. He tries going into the crowd a couple of times, and they just politely set him right back down on the stage.
    I'd say they'll play here in early December.

The 4th and 5th is what I've been told, but I can't vouch for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Goes to show though, people just don't know what to do with giant crowdsurfering rockstars anymore. He tries going into the crowd a couple of times, and they just politely set him right back down on the stage.

They seem wild but they are so tame! Mind you, it did look like somebody wouldn't let go of his microphone at the start of Rebellion. :p

Power Out was absolutely awesome there, and I loved the wall o' noise transition to Rebellion. I really, really want to see them live!

15 years of going to gigs and there's not much I've seen/heard that would match the Power Out/Rebellion combo.

Blows me away every time!

Is there any way of getting my hands on the Ready to Start video that's been removed?

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is there any way of getting my hands on the Ready to Start video that's been removed?
    I've got a HD version of it.. but it's 68.1 MB.

I can upload that to my webspace and send you the link. Or compress it down and upload it if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Knew I heard something similar to Ready to Start before, think Manics would like their royalties for this one...

'The Suburbs' has been posted and 'Ready To Start' has been re-uploaded to the YouTube channel:

And the downloadable versions:

The Suburbs
    Ready To Start

UK Dates

London, O2 Arena – December 1
    Birmingham, LG Arena – 8
    Cardiff, Arena – 9
    Manchester, Central – 11
    Glasgow, SECC – 12

I wish they'd hurry the hell up about that Month of May live video. It's not much on record, but it's an animal live.

5th of December seems to be for definite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Just one question, is there much difference in terms of quality between the CD and the iTunes version (which I have)?

Haven't listened to the CD but it should sound the same. Both should sound the same as the vinyl version.
    Details here: http://www.arcadefire.com/vinyl/

A further video has been uploaded - 'Neighbourhood #1 (Tunnels)':

Downloadable: Neighbourhood #1 (Tunnels)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

80 bucks to see them here in the o2 :eek:

No way are the band are taking that kind of money for a show are they?

Not sure yet, it hasn't been confirmed at least. The rest of their European shows are all in the 30-40 quid range.

It hasn't gone down well, anyway, and given the turnout at Oxegen it seems to me a little unrealistic. Looking into it, we'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

calex71 wrote: »
    80 bucks to see them here in the o2 :eek:

No way are the band are taking that kind of money for a show are they?

I heard €73, that's me priced out anyway. Couldn't justify spending that much on anyone at the moment unfortunately, but I suppose the organisers are clever enough to know that there'll be enough demand that they could feasibly sell the place out no matter what the cost.

Vampire Weekend apparently support, jesus they're awful.

The Phoenix Park tickets were fifty-something, so it fairly definitely won't be less than that - that said, since the 73 euro rumour emerged, I've since heard a few other price points bandied around, so don't freak out yet, we might not be getting too badly rinsed after all. Stay tuned, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭T.C.O.B

Hi all,

Is there any confirmation on an Irish date yet or is it just rumours?

Wouldn't mind popping across the water to see them. Does anyone know how to register for presale mentioned on ticketmaster, it'll obviously be next to impossible to get them Friday morning. I assume it'd mean joining some AC fan club or something like that...?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 bigguy086

The Phoenix Park tickets were fifty-something, so it fairly definitely won't be less than that - that said, since the 73 euro rumour emerged, I've since heard a few other price points bandied around, so don't freak out yet, we might not be getting too badly rinsed after all. Stay tuned, I guess.

thats ridiculous 73 euros. id nearly go to the uk and make a weekend away of it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bah, of course Arcade Fire (and Belle & Sebastian) would decide to play the one month I provisionally will be out of the country :( I've only seen them in Phoenix Park and was too far back to truly appreciate it!

However, 73 euro is a wee bit ridiculous. Here's hoping it isn't that high - because as much as I love AF, I don't know if they are the point yet where they can be charging that much for a gig!

• Advertisement

The 5th hasn't been officially announced, but I promise it's happening. :)

The presale is the O2 presale, you need to be an O2 customer for it, in which case, go here: http://bit.ly/aCRahc

There might be a discreet presale on www.arcadefire.com over the next while, but I can't promise anything. Arcade Fire don't have a fanclub, I'm afraid, we're too hip and independent to be constrained, man. ;)

€50 and €60 before additional fees, Vampire Weekend and another big act close to being added to the bill.

Vampire weekend really?? Aw bummer guess ill have to persevere!! The mother is an 02 business customer so shall be getting tickets on the presale!

Still think its a load of pretenious w@nk and still will be calling The Point instead of that Spanish name.

basquille wrote: »
    'The Suburbs' has been posted and 'Ready To Start' has been re-uploaded to the YouTube channel:

Did anyone else notice the American Express sponsorship of this event... What is this meant to be? A joke? or they are actually being serious!!!? Im quite baffled by them chosing to do this gig considering the whole theme, voice and undercurrent on the 3 albums!!

Either they are being ironic or just plain ignorant, to each, Ive lost alot of artistic repsect for their ideals and morals to which they lyrically preach to the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Still think its a load of pretenious w@nk and still will be calling The Point instead of that Spanish name.

Corporate sponorship is pretentious ****? Surely it's as far from pretentious **** as you could get?

Did anyone else notice the American Express sponsorship of this event... What is this meant to be? A joke? or they are actually being serious!!!? Im quite baffled by them chosing to do this gig considering the whole theme, voice and undercurrent on the 3 albums!!

Either they are being ironic or just plain ignorant, to each, Ive lost alot of artistic repsect for their ideals and morals to which they lyrically preach to the world.

Amex are supporting the whole Vevo webcast series, not just this one, and have an agreement with the venue similar to the O2 here. It's not quite out of Arcade Fire's hands, but it's hard to avoid all the same, and it's not like they're rolling in Amex' coke and hos as a result.

You might have also noticed that giant ad for Partners in Health/ Kanpe on the Vevo page. Partners in Health is the single biggest provider of healthcare in Haiti, and one of the most effective NGOs in the world, and Arcade Fire were until very recently their single biggest source of funding, ringfencing a chunk of their ticket sales and practically all of their singles profits for PIH. Kanpe are the organisation Arcade Fire have set up to co-ordinate microfinancing and educational programmes in the same area in partnership with them, to provide sustainable community development once the emergency relief phase is done.

If you're still cranky with Arcade Fire for forsaking their principles and having anything to do with Amex, why not donate to Kanpe? Arcade Fire will match your donation out of their own wallets to the penny, up to a million of their own dollars.

• Advertisement

A gesture to the a country that is so close to them and in such great need of any help is commendable of course. Yet surely they could they could have done the marketing/hostings independently. The power they would now have after another critically acclaimed album would have increased ten-fold, even not to do it independantly they could have sourced another sponsor with similar values and beliefs as themselves. Their cause would have been just as honourable and raised the same significant amount of funds without having to bend over and take one while doing something so righteous.

Aligning themselves with AXP at this stage in their career is not a great sign tbh. A staple company of the American banking, finance and insurance trade; which we all know bank-roll any wars and imperialistic expansion ideas. Surely (without any direct proof obviously) where major players in the US Admin during the US occupation of the island in the 1900's- the 30's. Which seed was planted when the ACS sent recently freed blacks to Haiti to be 'free' amidst extreme poverty and no funds to or educational support. Many of the current problems stem from the instablity of the leadership and the extreme pillaging and exportation of cotton and sugar through forced work camps(slavery) and that wasn't soley the US to blame I will admit but they had there hand in it.

Anyway thats all a background to the context of why it niggles me they decide to go ahead and use AMEX and you did say 'It's not quite out of Arcade Fire's hands..'

Not a huge deal really, and there is a good cause behind the raising of money. But Ive known many bands to turn down sponsorship or association with many products,firms or companys for various reasons some great some small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Must admit, after spending 2 weeks listening to this album pretty much non stop I've grown to love it. The only bad song, and it's awful!, is Sprawl I (flatlands). I can't even see the need for it even when taking into account the journey through the lyrics from song to song, it just seems oddly out of place. For me the best song is Sprawl II - which serves to highlight what a terrible song Sprawl I is.

Saw them at Lollapalooza last weekend and they absolutely rocked. Kicked off with Ready to Start, which most if not all the crowd new pretty well and played Suburbs, We Used to Wait, Rococo. Month of May and Sprawl II along with a good mixture of their previous stuff. Must say the new stuff sits very well with the old.

Some pics of the gig here (not mine)

EDIT: Just out of interest why was the Oxegen gig so poorly received? I assumed it would have been the same set list and even if you hadn't heard the leaked album a lot of the songs were from Funeral/Neon Bible. Just wondering...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

sprinkles wrote: »
    EDIT: Just out of interest why was the Oxegen gig so poorly received? I assumed it would have been the same set list and even if you hadn't heard the leaked album a lot of the songs were from Funeral/Neon Bible. Just wondering...

I think there was a low turn out and the weather was awful plus they where playing in front of the wrong crowd imo

WEBCAST MP3 RIP!

Worth it for Month of May alone. Freaking awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I can do 50-60 euro a ticket but not 70,so thats good news but hey i might try win some on Today Fm :D.
    Was chuffed when i heard the news earlier of the forthcoming date.
    Still haven`t bought the album yet but i am really looking forward to it,i like the slow approach.
    Whats with all the slating Vampire Weekend?
    They are not that bad,bit of an early ego in their career but some good vibe sing along songs,just don`t take them too serious!

• Advertisement
Advertisement