Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What has the Irish .......

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

As I said before, I dont mind people speaking the language.
    What I do mind about is being, as a taxpayer being forced to pay for this charade.

It's hard enough to pay for the bare essentials now.

If you or other likeminded people want 'da language' so much you pay for it!!

No, you siad you dont mind the language "as such":rolleyes:
    Have nothing against the language as such.

And then you went on to stereotypify those who use it:
    The only people who speak it now are mad hurley waving people, West Brits, trying to find their 'inner irishness' & IRA apolagists. End of.!!!!!!!!!!

You're wrong and you know it.

Thankfully we live in a democracy. That means majority rules. And it just so happens that the majority would like some of our collective tax money to be spent educating the people about the Gaelic language. If you dont, then write a letter to your local TD expressing your views.

Since I am fluent, I dont consider that any of my tax money is spent on my language. I think of it instead as being paid to the Guards to keep me safe. Maybe you too could learn your language, and then you could have the peace of mind that your tax money is going to something more worthwhile, from your point of view of course.

And "Da language" is english. Bad english, but english nonetheless. It would be "An Teanga" in Gaelic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

guys really take it easy..

i only put this here as a joke nothing to be taken seriously :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Well, any arguement between' Whosbetter?'' & 'Me right one' is going to be like the unstoppable force trying to move the imovable object!:D

I have my views & you have yours.

The only difference is that I'm right & you know it!

Stop flogging that maggoty horse of yours!

It's pointless. You will be assimilated by common sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

if the government cares so much about the irish language why the **** can't they put the fada on my name on my passport? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

if the government cares so much about the irish language why the **** can't they put the fada on my name on my passport? :eek:

because it would confuse all the foreigners :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I bet the french get all their accents and stuff on their names

robbie_998 wrote: »
    guys really take it easy..

i only put this here as a joke nothing to be taken seriously :rolleyes:

Well, it comes down to this.

The people who 'like' the Irish Language tend to be FF voters.

People who don't tend to vote FG.

We are termed as 'West Brits' by them.:rolleyes:

Well our FF Overlords have made a brilliant job of things now!!!!!!!!!

Not to mention our dear Eammon O Cuiv, who lives to ruin Dingle by calling it \An Daingean, Totally against the wishes of thde people who live inthe place!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pushing the issue as usual.

Irish language Zelots are the 'pits of the world'

Think of something construtive to do, you fools!

Stop nagging us & making us pay for your stupid hobby & try to put your energy into doing something really good for this country.

Try to create jobs that are not subsidied from the State, for a change!!

That would be a start!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

83777.jpg

I don't think this subject should have been moved from AH.

What's the story here?

Afraid of a decent discussion?

The 'language' is the last 'sacred cow' in Irish society now.

Why should'nt it be chopped up like burgers like the rest?

fecking love that pic! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

As I said before, I dont mind people speaking the language.
    What I do mind about is being, as a taxpayer being forced to pay for this charade.

It's hard enough to pay for the bare essentials now.

If you or other likeminded people want 'da language' so much you pay for it!!

I really don't see how you can see teaching our FIRST language as a waste. God, you'd think you'd be proud of it, having our own language which is such a beautiful language really, but no, you're crapping on about "My taxes blah blah blah". And I suppose you don't really mind paying taxes for anything else, Port Tunnel anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Oh, and surely if you were to choose one political party who are advocates of the teanga it's be Sinn Fein? No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

It's a useful tool for confusing the Yanks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

It's a useful tool for confusing the Yanks:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Vid with 'hilarious' in the title fails to deliver... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Tzetze wrote: »
    Vid with 'hilarious' in the title fails to deliver... :(
    th eone i seen was found while searching learning irish... so was amusing at the time

I really don't see how you can see teaching our FIRST language as a waste. God, you'd think you'd be proud of it, having our own language which is such a beautiful language really, but no, you're crapping on about "My taxes blah blah blah". And I suppose you don't really mind paying taxes for anything else, Port Tunnel anyone?

Well, I've got hobbies/intrests of my own, but I dont expect my neighbours to pay for 'em.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The only people who speak it now are mad hurley waving people, West Brits, trying to find their 'inner irishness', that Rossport 'woman'with a fag in her gob, & IRA apolagists. End of.!!!!!!!!!!
    No, you'd be wrong. Plenty of people who do not fit any of the above descriptions speak/learn/love Irish.
    I really don't see how you can see teaching our FIRST language as a waste.
    ... except it's not our first language, no point in deluding yourself (yeah, I know what the constitution says but we still speak/need English far moreso in this country).
    God, you'd think you'd be proud of it, having our own language which is such a beautiful language really
    Why should people be proud of it? (Not saying people shouldn't be either). It's just a language. Whether it's beautiful or not is a matter of opinion - I personally see beauty in it but I also see awkwardness.
    but no, you're crapping on about "My taxes blah blah blah". And I suppose you don't really mind paying taxes for anything else, Port Tunnel anyone?
    Nobody said they don't mind paying taxes for other stuff - Irish is what's being focused on here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Well, I've got hobbies/intrests of my own, but I dont expect my neighbours to pay for 'em.:rolleyes:

Do you expect your neighbours to pay for your roads? For your education, other subjects including History & Geography, that you may not ever use outside of school? For healthcare if you can't make ends meet?

You don't really understand how a tax system works, do you?

Advertisement