Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Broadband!

Options
  • 28-06-2009 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭

ok sorry if this has been done before but....

OK me and a friend are moving into a new place on Monday in Galway City Centre. Now we probably wont bother with a tv because sure you can watch everything on the internet now anyway and were never there half the time anyway.

Now neither of us can get a UPC account because we have both cancelled contracts on them when we were in college renting houses, ya know yourself! Contract 12 months college term 9 months!

Is it possible to get broadband without a telephone line that wont cost the earth? and would be less than a 12 month contract? Oh and i wont use 3 or any of those USB modem midband things because i had one a while ago with 3 and it was crap and unreliable!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Cheap, works well, <12 months, not DSL or cable, and still be real broadband? Doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

so what just because im not going with UPC or a USB modem i have no options?

No, but because you've ruled out DSL, cable and 3G, and want a <12 month contract, you have no options left. Breeze and Metro are about all that's left, don't know if they're less than 12 months though.

Very few providers offer 6 month contracts, some DSL providers do, so you'd need a phone line for that. The combined calls/rental/broadband offers (where the best prices are) are generally all 12 months, so it might cost you more to go with full price line rental and broadband for a 6 month contract.

saw something on an eircom page about broadband with a 6 month contract but im imagining they want a phone line for that? I think some friends of mine had eircom braodband but had an only incoming calls landline in the house? is this possible?

Yes, eircom require a line. Blocking outgoing calls might be possible, you'd have to ask eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Now neither of us can get a UPC account because we have both cancelled contracts on them when we were in college renting houses, ya know yourself!
    have you tried?

i've cancelled contracts with NTL twice before and once was at my current address and still got a new contract for broadband with them, even though one of the cancellations was at the same address.

if you're moving to a new address how will they even know you're the same person?

name and or phone number!they keep it on file. we had a fault here in our house not so long ago and i was sorting it out and i accidnentally gave them my number and they pulled up my account! i was like "noooooooooo" not that one!
    We havent tried but were pretty certain they would try lump us with a massive cancellation charge as they did to one of us already!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

jor el wrote: »
    Yes, eircom require a line. Blocking outgoing calls might be possible, you'd have to ask eircom.
    Yep all except emergency calls can be blocked allright. But it might cost like €5 per month. A call to 1901 would answer it exactly allright (btw 1901 can be called from mobiles for free also).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Eircom would also expect you to pay your bill and honour your contract!

True as it maybe it is a bit rich labelling 3 as 'unreliable'.
    Now neither of us can get a UPC account because we have both cancelled contracts on them when we were in college renting houses, ya know yourself! Contract 12 months college term 9 months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DivinePanda

Try an IBB ripwave. They used to be terrible but I havent heard many complaints since Imagine bought them, they even upped the bandwidth to 2mb I think. When they work they are excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ripwave is still poor and very bad latency. It's not true Broadband. The Breeze Product is good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

dub45 wrote: »
    Eircom would also expect you to pay your bill and honour your contract!

True as it maybe it is a bit rich labelling 3 as 'unreliable'.

To be fair if UPC offered a special college style contract for students they'd lose a lot less money every year.

I'd recommend trying UPC again. You've got nothing to lose. Just get yourself a new pre pay sim. Don't ring off any number you've previously used with them & hope you have a common name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

You think UPC are going to turn down your money because of what you did in the past? :rolleyes:

Was in the same position with Smart, they never once mentioned the previous issue when I signed up for them a second time.

Just use a friend's mobile number or whatever if you want to be safe.

well were going to try my old number with a different first name. . so we shall see! and yes when i had the 3 usb modem it was unreliable. I dont think its a bit "rich" to say so, i find it a fairly accurate statement of my experience with them.

yep, tried to get an account with different name but same account details and phone number and they said theres arrears on teh account from the previous address. Even though they were given 30 days notice so there shouldnt be. However they said its preventing us getting an account at our new address so no UPC option now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement