Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nazi's in carlow?

Options
  • 28-06-2009 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

I have just been given a 7 day ban off the carlow forum. we have been trying to discuss the running of the forum, then when i backed up an ex-mod, i was banned, things are getting heavy handed. can we get higher moderation?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

aynon wrote: »
    I have just been given a 7 day ban off the carlow forum. we have been trying to discuss the running of the forum, then when i backed up an ex-mod, i was banned, things are getting heavy handed. can we get higher moderation?

You were given an yellow card for trolling (the Nazzi posts). I said in the PM to stop the trolling or you will be banned. You ignored and continued to troll, twice more. You got a 7 day ban for your efforts.

Also note that it is clearly stated in the Boards.ie Guidelines (referenced in the Carlow forum charter by a link) that;

If you have issues with how the forum is being run or its moderators, take the issue to either; 1) Forum Mods, 2) CMods, 3) Feedback/Help Desk (Admin review). None of this was done, instead an ex-mod had a rant in the forum about how the lads were running the forum and you jumped in with him. This was not the right place, stick-dan and others have been advised the procedure.
    All in all, common sense helps a lot. The above are guidelines - If you are acting out of what could be considered 'normal behaviour', don't be suprised if you get a holiday from the forum.

General Boards.ie Rules Apply.

Source: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055183314

If you have any issues or concerns with either a warning or a ban, the best approach to take is to discuss the matter over PM with the mod first. If that doesn’t work, you can try the CMod. The next available option for you is to make a post in the Help Desk forum. In this forum, only Smods and Admins can respond to your post. When making your post, please explain clearly your concerns and link to any posts/topics related to your thread. If you are demanding about it, you will probably get the Admins/Smods backs up and reduce the chances of removing the ban.

Source: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055328635
    Discretion of the Moderator

If you think these rules bind the moderators hands, think again. The moderators have discretion to react and moderate as they see fit, in the best interests of the forum they take care of. You can challenge a decision using Helpdesk, but don’t think for a moment you can use the guidelines above to find some semantic loophole to excuse your behaviour (people who do this are known as “rules lawyers” and are seen as a small step above trolls). It’s not going to work. The spirit of the law is more important than the wording of the law on boards.ie and our guidelines can and will change if and when there’s need

Source: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_guidelines#faq_bie_faq_guidelines_forbidden
    How do I appeal a moderation decision?

1. It is against the rules to argue with a moderator action in such a way that it drags a discussion off-topic from its original goal (short: never argue with a mod in-thread - it almost always leads to a ban). Always attempt to message the moderator via the Private Messaging system before making a scene out of something.

2. If you have not received a reply via PM in a reasonable amount of time (please allow at least a day, our mods are volunteers and aren’t online 24/7) try to PM another moderator of that forum.

3. If you have still not received a reply, or wish to escalate the issue, contact the Category Moderator via PM, or use the Help Desk forum, under the Sys/System category. Feedback is not for Queries or Complaints about an altercation, despite a common misconception still held by some of the older users.

Source: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_im_new_here#faq_bie_faq_im_new_here_forumban

That covers pretty clearly why a ban was issued, after an infraction for trolling. Your two responses in thread not only were considered trolling but went against what I have quoted above. I'm nearly sure we had this problem before with you also, but the local mods left you be. Twice however, is to much, especially when I gave you a warning and also in a in-thread warning to make things crystal clear.

Ban stands. Act up on your return, it will be a longer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

can you clearly state what post you considered to be trolling. please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I have to agree with this, which post was the original one that you classed as trolling.

The Random Waffle Thread in the Carlow Forum is what it name suggests. It is random waffle - something being classed as trolling in a random waffle thread is a bit ironic tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The who Nazi symbols for a start (interesting Feedback thread title "Nazi's in carlow?"). They are here and here.

Then ignoring my PM with the yellow card and ignoring this in thread warning by returning with three posts (the topic had gone back to its original point after my in thread warning). They are;
    you can silence me but you in the process will silence the carlow foruM!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60898248&postcount=1809

and
    I am going to Public come out and get behind dan, if anyone hasnt noticed! Dan is 100% echoing mine and others opinions, but is the first to say it publicly!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60898337&postcount=1812

and
    in b4 404.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60898343&postcount=1813

I overlooked this post;
    thanks for the back up there!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60898166&postcount=1804

to allow you to read the PM I sent with the infraction.

So, overall, you acted the maggot and ignored warnings resulting in a ban.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I have to agree with this, which post was the original one that you classed as trolling.

The Random Waffle Thread in the Carlow Forum is what it name suggests. It is random waffle - something being classed as trolling in a random waffle thread is a bit ironic tbh.

No thread, regardless of its purpose, is permitted to discuss moderation or how the forum is run unless its in Feedback / Help Desk. Iv covered this here;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60898583&postcount=2

Random Waffle Thread does not give anybody the right to break the Boards.ie Site Rules or Carlow Forum Charter. Its just a place for general waffle, chit chat, unrelated to the runnings of Boards.ie.

• Advertisement

right lets break this down

Sully wrote: »
    The who Nazi symbols for a start (interesting Feedback thread title "Nazi's in carlow?"). They are here and here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60898248&postcount=1809
    i was asking that.....

Sully wrote: »

Not sure what your excuse for the Nazi Symbols were, but I considered them trolling. The comment about silencing you was immature, and also trolling.

Supporting stick-dan in the first link, I can pass over (even though it goes against my points iv made earlier to you in this thread). The next link, is trolling.

Listen, the way I see it is you acted the eejit and got a warning. You chanced your arm again, but as a result got a ban. You did troll, you got off easy firstly. You ignored me and continued to cause trouble, and trolled again, earning you a week ban.

Read an earlier post here where I explained what the purpose of the Random Waffle Thread is and what its not for.

well sir,
    i feel that carlow forum really need to have a look at itself. even going up to regional level. if this is whats happening a mass banning, something is going wrong, would you not agree sir?

well sir,
    i feel that carlow forum really need to have a look at itself. even going up to regional level. if this is whats happening a mass banning, something is going wrong, would you not agree sir?

Iv had a look at the Carlow ban list because you suggested the mods were mass banning people. I see three bans in total since the recording system came in. One was your ban, another was for spamming and another was for using "Using derogatory terms". Only two of those bans were recent (yours and the derogatory terms ones). So, there is no mass banning as you suggest.

With regards to the Carlow forum, im only aware of one issue but iv asked the forum mods to update me as it seems to be suggested there is more then I have noticed. The issue I know of relates to some users refusing to visit other Boards.ie forums and insisting on having their own Boards.ie within one forum which is against the ethos of Boards.ie. The mods at the time, including stick-dan, were briefed on this by myself and Dub13. I was not made aware of any other issues in relation to this since, and from what I gather, either were the mods.

admittedly, the problems were small, but have gathered and gathered, and at this point to most of the regulars on carlow have refused to come on. is this not against the ethos of boards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

####_______###############
    ####_______###############
    ####_______####______________
    ####_______####______________
    #########################
    #########################
    ____________####___________###
    ____________####___________###
    #############___________####
    #############___________####

The Nazi symbol that aynon printed, is a visual representation of something that is very common on boards. Although not usually in a visual form - I have seen it many many times most recently in AH, when a poster refers to Mod being overeager as being a Nazi troll.
    Aynon was making a point and he chose this symbol to make his point.
    thanks for the back up there!

This was a thanks to me for backing up his post. I deliberately quoted his post, because once a post is quoted it is very hard to delete. This was a simple thanks.
    you can silence me but you in the process will silence the carlow foruM!

This one is probably not acceptable, and may have been more appropriate to a feedback forum and not in Carlow Random Waffle Thread. It is very succintly showing Aynon's concern for the Carlow forum though.
    I am going to Public come out and get behind dan, if anyone hasnt noticed! Dan is 100% echoing mine and others opinions, but is the first to say it publicly!

This is definitely not trolling in any way. This is a rather brave post, coming out in support of stick-dan post. The Thanks button wasn't enough to show his support for Dan, so Aynon chose to tell the forum/thread publicly of his concerns also. This discussion was obviously going to be moved to the Feedback forum, but it was also important that we showed our support on the Forum where our concerns lie.
    in b4 404.

Again Aynon did what I have seen many Mods do, quote a post, so that if it is moved, a record will still be left of it in the original thread. I have seen this done many times by Mods of the AH's forum. Again this is not trolling, this is again a support of Dan.

admittedly, the problems were small, but have gathered and gathered, and at this point to most of the regulars on carlow have refused to come on. is this not against the ethos of boards?

Id take that to stick-dans thread, as its not related to your banning really. I have no idea why the regulars have gone (I cant say iv noticed a drop in activity) or what the problems are - nobody is telling us.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    The Nazi symbol that aynon printed, is a visual representation of something that is very common on boards. Although not usually in a visual form - I have seen it many many times most recently in AH, when a poster refers to Mod being overeager as being a Nazi troll.
    Aynon was making a point and he chose this symbol to make his point.

Twice? I ignored the first one, but I acted on the second. Thats trolling.
    This was a thanks to me for backing up his post. I deliberately quoted his post, because once a post is quoted it is very hard to delete. This was a simple thanks.

Thats why we have the "Thanks" feature. Iv told aynon my issue with that post in this thread tho.
    This one is probably not acceptable, and may have been more appropriate to a feedback forum and not in Carlow Random Waffle Thread. It is very succintly showing Aynon's concern for the Carlow forum though.

Once again, trolling. Iv discussed the problem with the approach earlier both to yourself and aynon.
    This is definitely not trolling in any way. This is a rather brave post, coming out in support of stick-dan post. The Thanks button wasn't enough to show his support for Dan, so Aynon chose to tell the forum/thread publicly of his concerns also. This discussion was obviously going to be moved to the Feedback forum, but it was also important that we showed our support on the Forum where our concerns lie.

See my response to the other quote, above, as it applies here.
    Again Aynon did what I have seen many Mods do, quote a post, so that if it is moved, a record will still be left of it in the original thread. I have seen this done many times by Mods of the AH's forum. Again this is not trolling, this is again a support of Dan.

Both trolling and once again, refer to above what is also wrong with the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Simple questions from me to start:

What's with all this swastika codology? Aware as I am that people died during WW2 - a few million Jewish people, let's say 20 million Russians, another 20 million Chinese and obviously millions form other countries, I've got a sense of proportion.

Are the mods, ex-mods or members putting people on trains going east, where we'll never see them again? No? Then knock off the swastika stuff, it makes your case look idiotic from the start. Get a sense of proportion. They're free.

No need to answer any of those questions by the way.

Let's move on.

Taking a quick look at the thread, depending on your point of view the particular trouble seems to have begun here or here or here. Either way, somewhere around there.

Aynon, with your insistance on posting the swastikas (there was a warning before you started) and continuing with the "nazi" thing here you don't get to complain about your seven day ban. It'll give you some time out where you can practice to make your points without saying that something that inconveniences you a little bit is the same as millions of people never coming home. Or rather, you've complained about your ban and it's reasonable. Even if you have a point you were just acting the wally in that thread.

Moderation of the forum: start a coherent thread here in feedback about the direction of the forum. Or in the forum with the consent of the mods. Or in the help desk if you want to complain about specific mod actions. Pick one. Don't use a nazi flag when you do.

That's your higher moderation. Cop-on is cheap.

i dont think that thanks thing is of any use really, i think a personal thanks is in order. the "thanks" button really makes it impersonal, and the poster doesnt know unless they look back on their posts, and a pro poster usually doesnt.

i am drafting a list of what else was wrong with the forum i or one of the other boardsies will post it when we fell we have addressed all the problems

also may i draw ppls attention to here please.
    http://www.reclaimtheswastika.com/

i dont think that thanks thing is of any use really, i think a personal thanks is in order. the "thanks" button really makes it impersonal, and the poster doesnt know unless they look back on their posts, and a pro poster usually doesnt.

Well, I guess thats your viewpoint. It cuts down on waffle and the idea is to acknowledge or thanks part or all of a post really. Not that it mattered anyway.
    i am drafting a list of what else was wrong with the forum i or one of the other boardsies will post it when we fell we have addressed all the problems

Thanks, but do it on Dans feedback thread to make things easier.

Also, just to clarify to things. After patricks warning I felt the thread was needlessly tense so I posted a light hearted joke and comment on the weather, to start a discussion, not aimed at anyone at all to try ease the tension and move on. I can see how Dan thought it may have been aimed at him (iv discussed this over PM with him, thats a done issue afaik). Iv also no issues with what patrick did. Before that, I cant say what went wrong.

also may i draw ppls attention to here please.
    http://www.reclaimtheswastika.com/

What victory did you claim? Anyway, thats clutching at straws because most of the population agree that symbol is used to provoke now and in your posts, it was clearly not done in a way to "reclaim" anything and was done to provoke (hence trolling).

twas worth a try. but i do think you may have to be a bit more open minded. sully.

twas worth a try. but i do think you may have to be a bit more open minded. sully.

On the symbol? No chance. It was clear attempt to troll. That threads latest turn and topic was all negative and tense - using that symbol in that manor could never be seen as anything else.

I could be more open minded and be easy on some of your posts, sure, but there is at least two that would be a firm "Not a hope" and thus throwing you into ban. :)

Anyway, done case. Thanks for listening and being decent enough about it in the end.

• Advertisement

you soon will be recieving a list. sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

OK, we're done here, there's a thread with a too-vague title started here, I've added the word "Carlow" to the title as a result.

I'm locking this as the attempt to pretend the posting of the swastika was anything other than a nazi comparison is just wasting my time as I'm not a fool and the word "nazi" was included in the title of this thread in case anyone else reading is a fool. Just wasting their time too. Quite foolish, that.

Discuss the pertinent issues of the forum itself in the other thread. It's a reasonable forum for the reasonable exchange of reasonable views. Try not to waste people's time there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement