Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community Saddened as Carlow Forum Declines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

The way i feel it could all be resolved is the following.

Ease up on the rule abiding lads. We seldom step far out of line in that forum.

Thread will go off topic, just tell us to get back on topic, we normally oblige, well i will.

Don't move threads for the sake of moving them.

Practise the rule, attack the post, not the poster. This is a personal one for me as recently in the thread i highlighted in my last response i received no backing even though my opinions were demeened. Whether you agree with my point of view you should actively protect my right to an opinion and a right to air it. This wasn't done.

Anyways that's my two cents. ,Listen i'm outta the carlow forum now for good. Certain mods have made it clear that i'm out to cause trouble even though im not, so feck that crap,. as they say in the US "i'm outtie".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Thanks to faith there. That post said everything i wanted to and pat thats not the right attuitude to have and you know it. For what its worth it's not a witch-hunt, if it sounded or came across that way i'm sorry dude from the bottom of my heart i am, my aim was to merely aim my concerns dispite what another person insists.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

stick-dan wrote: »
    I made out a list of things that i was informed was wrong. I would like to add the fact that threads are now being closed way too quickly.

Where is the list? The 4 points? I think only one of them was backed up by the community so far in here. Anyway, I responded to those earlier and wont repeat myself.
    The group of people airing their views on this thread are the community, don't be nit-picking at phrases. The community spirit is held in the fact that the group are voicing their concerns together in a constructive manner in this thread yet you seem to be making snide remarks back at every opportunity. Where is the sense in fairness in that.

You went in bald headed, pretty much, with all glory about being the ex-mod and Carlow users representative. A handful, if not less, posted completely constructive, calm, fair and discussed things civilly without the hot handedness. Two have disagreed with you. Its clearly not a major issue.
    Who are you to decide if it is undoing the guards work? You yourself probably actively speed daily so you would have no say in this matter.This was my opinion i made in a strong manner very clear and i was ridiculed for it and no mod stepped in and even mentioned to the poster who attacked me to stop attacking the poster and attack the post. Mod's are really following the rules there aint they? see this thread
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579696
    And here also the thread was left open nearly a week when all that wanted to be achieved was to warn everyone. Surely make the post and lock straight away would have been proper order. Or was it a case of getting as many thank as possible. It's inconsistant

Who am I to decide? Silly question, you know the answer to that - and iv already stated how anyway. I have every say in the matter, I have a completely clean license and have only ever once been pulled on speeding. You were not targeted in anyway in that thread. People gave their sides, just because they never agreed with you does not mean they were ridiculing you or the mods were being heavy handed. I wont comment further, this point was already discussed and an agreement has been partly reached so far pending full agreement. Thanks whoring, jesus hardly any was given!
    Your the one taking the snide remark and digs route in this thread, i have aired my opinions, back them up now and also made a list of the problems. How in the blue hell is that not discussing it like adults.

Covered all this a few times.
    Both speeding threads were relative to carlow only, they did not belong in the motoring forum.

We know that already. Been discussed.
    The only reason i said i was mod was so that people would know that i had a strong association with the forum. I never said i was fecking wonderful i said i was fair, end of. I myself , my only problem is the fact that the community users have a problem. As you quite rightly pointed out i left the forum for my own reasons which i damn sure need not explain to any of ye here. I have a life and things i wanted to pay more attention to rather than my virtual self thank you very much.Where was it turned into a witch hunt and when did i ask them to leave. I said people no longer found the forum enjoyable and asked what the hell has gone wrong. Stop twisting words.

Big contradiction. For someone who doesn't care much about his virtual self, your taking a lot of time and effort into speaking for the Carlow folk who don't seem to be on the same page (so far) as you. Iv covered my issues with your approach, I think most people seem to think its fair.
    Ah here how many times have i to say that i am only airing the opinion for crying out loud. Stop trying to make me out to be a flippping back stabber of sorts. It's a very childish approach to take.

Discussed already.
    What's this alot more that i wanted eh? I wanted to improve the forum, oh sorry my bad, sure leve it inactive is what we should have done.And i'm sorry things do not work "successfully" on boards, if they did there would be no feedback threads like this one and this isn't only a carlow forum problem. so far its only me? so super-rush, aynon and queen mise arent people now no?

Iv taken on board their feedback, from what I can tell they seem to be happy with what I have said. I'm going to discuss this with the lads when we conclude here, which I assume is now because you have added nothing extra that needs consideration. We discussed the problems, and now its time to address them. If there is nothing else, or anymore people who contacted you coming, then we should be done here. Ill contact everyone individually with the outcome.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thanks to faith there. That post said everything i wanted to and pat thats not the right attuitude to have and you know it. For what its worth it's not a witch-hunt, if it sounded or came across that way i'm sorry dude from the bottom of my heart i am, my aim was to merely aim my concerns dispite what another person insists.

You probably should have read the thread in full before posting, as I think we all agree with Faith and comments made by most of the Carlow folk and will work to address them. Its just sad this could not have been done in a much better, fairer way. I cant stress that enough, which is why I am coming across more rash with yourself. I hope you can see why.

I think in future, if you could tell people to contact us individually rather then you representing them, as sadly I cant take one voice to cover the peoples (its what the mods are for). Might be worthy of a quick glance over the Boards.ie FAQ also, as some people are unsure what approach to take.

Hopefully, thankfully, this can be put to bed and we can sort it out with the folks who have came here and said nicely the problem. Its Feedback from the user base that makes the forum work, especially if done right. I'm going to bow out unless something new is added that needs my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

The way i feel it could all be resolved is the following.

Ease up on the rule abiding lads. We seldom step far out of line in that forum.

Thread will go off topic, just tell us to get back on topic, we normally oblige, well i will.

Don't move threads for the sake of moving them.

Practise the rule, attack the post, not the poster. This is a personal one for me as recently in the thread i highlighted in my last response i received no backing even though my opinions were demeened. Whether you agree with my point of view you should actively protect my right to an opinion and a right to air it. This wasn't done.

Anyways that's my two cents. ,Listen i'm outta the carlow forum now for good. Certain mods have made it clear that i'm out to cause trouble even though im not, so feck that crap,. as they say in the US "i'm outtie".

i would like to see you stick about, have always valued your opinion and we worked well together as co-mods Dan, we never had any issues..

we do need to abide by the charter, i dont believe in threads been started non carlow related, cos it is the carlow forum. surely people can see that,whilst they may seem fun and all that, theres other parts of carlow where they can be posted happily.

i did overlook the poster attack there in that thread, i see that now, it wasn't deliberate by any means, just over looked it. I havent half as much time for boards now as before with a new job so cant see everything.

maybe it's not but the yes it came across a witch hunt, i logged on this evening to see a feedback thread, loads of pms and the posts in the RWT, so maybe i was a little annoyed when i posted that thread, Dan you know i have the best interest of the Carlow forum at the forefront of my modding as you did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

my thoughts...

I'm not a regular poster by any means but do read the Carlow Forum quite a lot.

As far as I'm aware Random Waffle Thread is for eh.. Random Waffle..
    I understand there are specific forums for specific items, serious or non-serious etc.

I hadn't been online for a few days and then saw all this, like some posters mentioned above, it's been sunny and I've had work and life stuff to do.

If anything would put me off posting it would be the pettiness of what I read in this and the Random Waffle Thread...

You may hate me for saying it but this isn't real life, it's the interwebamajig! So my feedback would be build a bridge and get over it!

If that's all ye have to be worrying about today you should count yourselves very very lucky! Life is too short for nonsense like that ! :confused:

foxinsox wrote: »
    my thoughts...

I'm not a regular poster by any means but do read the Carlow Forum quite a lot.

As far as I'm aware Random Waffle Thread is for eh.. Random Waffle..
    I understand there are specific forums for specific items, serious or non-serious etc.

I hadn't been online for a few days and then saw all this, like some posters mentioned above, it's been sunny and I've had work and life stuff to do.

If anything would put me off posting it would be the pettiness of what I read in this and the Random Waffle Thread...

You may hate me for saying it but this isn't real life, it's the interwebamajig! So my feedback would be build a bridge and get over it!

If that's all ye have to be worrying about today you should count yourselves very very lucky! Life is too short for nonsense like that ! :confused:

Which issues did you have a problem with? The issues which were brought from there here?

Sully wrote: »
    Which issues did you have a problem with? The issues which were brought from there here?

I was merely giving my feedback:

I have no issues or problems, I was trying to say that I thought the silly childish playground behavoir of the back and fro posts over something that didn't even warrant a discussion or this...... just made me feel the whole thing was nonsense..

From what I read it just looks like text/post made were taken the wrong way by some people and then it escalated.

How many times does it happen on mobile texts, where u look at the text and are really not sure whether it is serious or a joke? That's what I was trying to say.

Just think it's a load of nonsense about nothing.. I don't think all that much of it one way or the other, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer/person.. just think it's being escalated way out of proportion and now I'm involved in the nonsense........

Anyway that's my tuppence worth! Not looking for answers to it, was just expressing my point of view! :)

I was merely giving my feedback:

I have no issues or problems, I was trying to say that I thought the silly childish playground behavoir of the back and fro posts over something that didn't even warrant a discussion or this...... just made me feel the whole thing was nonsense..

From what I read it just looks like text/post made were taken the wrong way by some people and then it escalated.

How many times does it happen on mobile texts, where u look at the text and are really not sure whether it is serious or a joke? That's what I was trying to say.

Just think it's a load of nonsense about nothing.. I don't think all that much of it one way or the other, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer/person.. just think it's being escalated way out of proportion and now I'm involved in the nonsense........

Anyway that's my tuppence worth! Not looking for answers to it, was just expressing my point of view! :)

Ya no problem, just curious was it related to the complaint or the other folk who also disagreed with this topic. Seems like a 50/50 split. Thanks!

Sully wrote: »
    Ya no problem, just curious was it related to the complaint or the other folk who also disagreed with this topic. Seems like a 50/50 split. Thanks!

It's hard in type to explain properly without writing an essay which I'm not in the mood for doing...

I have actually no complaint/opinion whastoever on any of the posters/mods.. I just think the whole thing is silliness.......

If I had super special wonder woman powers I would just delete this Forum and the mentioned ones in Random Waffle Thread and everyone could go to bed happy and start a new happy day tomorrow...

That's the end of my involvement in the nonsense..
    :)

• Advertisement

sounds like a good idea foxinsox:D:D

*Hits factory reset on Carlow forum*

I can learn from my mistakes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

patrickc wrote: »
    yes i admit i speed when i see fit, where and when on boards does it say mods can't do that????

i locked both threads because the initial thing was to warn people about the speed traps locations and not to have a debate on speeding, the motors forum is for that IMO.

anyhow this thread is solving nothing, it's turned into a bitch fest, and I will not be replying further on it, unless it's direction from the bitchiness changes.

The thread about the speed trap in Ballon going by the first post was about the ridiculous positioning of said speed trap and the thread never went of that topic.

super-rush wrote: »
    The thread about the speed trap in Ballon going by the first post was about the ridiculous positioning of said speed trap and the thread never went of that topic.

ive opened that again now, since it seems many want it open...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Fair play Pat and thank you

super-rush wrote: »
    Fair play Pat and thank you

no bother sir, glad to be of service:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

sorry for my absence in this discussion but I was only online for a bit lastnight and by the time I'd caught up I was too tired to post.

I'm only on my lunch break now so I don't have time to write a long post but if anybody has an issue with my modding please do tell me.

When I have more time I'll list the actions I've taken as mod and see if somebody has issue with any.... there's not that many, I'd guess less than 10.

Anywho..... back to real life I go.

BBS folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

+1
    this back and forth pettiness is more off-putting in the Carlow forum than anything else.

could you imagine what a new comer to the the carlow forum would think of all this? im actually pretty disappointed with the whole thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

ShayK1 wrote: »
    sorry for my absence in this discussion but I was only online for a bit lastnight and by the time I'd caught up I was too tired to post.

I'm only on my lunch break now so I don't have time to write a long post but if anybody has an issue with my modding please do tell me.

When I have more time I'll list the actions I've taken as mod and see if somebody has issue with any.... there's not that many, I'd guess less than 10.

Anywho..... back to real life I go.

BBS folks.

Only action I remember you taking was related to a thread that was deleted where someone was looking for info and I thought you handled it 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Don't like posting in the Carlow forum whatsoever anymore.

Mainly due to the 'OFF TOPIC, THREAD CLOSED" attitude the whole time..

I said it before and I was completely dismissed, The Carlow Forum is more like an encyclopedia than anything else..There is absolutely zero discussion, the moderators thoughts seem to be "Information on thread title, nothing else or it's locked"

It's bloody pathetic.

• Advertisement

Nead21 wrote: »
    +1
    this back and forth pettiness is more off-putting in the Carlow forum than anything else.

could you imagine what a new comer to the the carlow forum would think of all this? im actually pretty disappointed with the whole thing!

You and me both. I just hope that we can take the small bit of Feedback received and make those who are unhappy - happy. Obviouslly there will be no pleasing some, but I wont let a very small number ruin it for everyone else after we trying our best.

right, I've a bit more time on my hands now.

What I've done as a Mod on Carlow:

I warned a poster via PM about a post they made in the "Help the Swans" thread because I felt that the topic was very close to some posters hearts and this particular post was just out of order in such a serious thread.

I banned a user for 2 weeks for using derogatory terms.

I closed the "Cheap night out" thread because it derailed into the legality of doormen and their requirement to wear badges.

Somebody started a thread about me locking the above thread which I closed and directed the poster towards "Feedback".

I deleted a thread after discussing it in the Moderators forum at length and it was deemed inappropriate for a public forum.

I merged a couple of "Anyone organising a bus to a gig" threads at the request of one of the posters.

I fixed some posts that had been messed up by multi-quoting.

I can't think of anything else?

Has anybody any problems with any of the above?

SV wrote: »
    Don't like posting in the Carlow forum whatsoever anymore.

Mainly due to the 'OFF TOPIC, THREAD CLOSED" attitude the whole time..

I said it before and I was completely dismissed

Where did you say it SV?
    I don't remember seeing it.

Villain wrote: »
    Only action I remember you taking was related to a thread that was deleted where someone was looking for info and I thought you handled it 100%

Thanks.

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Where did you say it SV?
    I don't remember seeing it.

Hey ShayK1, It was in a thread that was since locked I believe, having trouble finding it.

That said I have always agreed with you as a moderator and was very glad to see you get the position.

Hey ShayK1, It was in a thread that was since locked I believe, having trouble finding it.

That said I have always agreed with you as a moderator and was very glad to see you get the position.

Thanks. That nice to hear with all this stuff being brought to light.
    If you do find that thread feel free to raise it here or via PM.

i stand by my decision there, the carlow forum is not a place to discuss or research headshops, and that....

you can question my modding all you want sv, but i stand over 99% of them , apart maybe ive learned from this about locking threads so quick.

patrickc wrote: »
    i stand by my decision there, the carlow forum is not a place to discuss or research headshops, and that....

you can question my modding all you want sv, but i stand over 99% of them , apart maybe ive learned from this about locking threads so quick.

I will continue to question it alright.

So where do we talk about them at all then?
    There's a headshop in Carlow, why aren't we allowed to talk about it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I will continue to question it alright.

So where do we talk about them at all then?
    There's a headshop in Carlow, why aren't we allowed to talk about it?

That would be Boards site wide policy.What would happen if kids were talking about one of these shops on a regional forum and god forbid something happened to them after getting stuff in one of these shops.The media would have a field day.

Their was talk a couple of years ago about a Boards legal drugs forum but it never materialized,obviously the Admins made a call on that one and its a road we are not going down.

Advertisement