Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you aware of Bray Wanderers FC?

Options
  • 28-06-2009 3:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

This thread only applies to football fans in the Bray area.

I have one question.

1. If you do not already support Bray Wanderers, why not?

Get behind your local team, the quality of the football is good, the stadium is in good nick, there is atmosphere at home games now.
    You've got your Man Uniteds, Liverpools, Arsenals and Celtics.
    But what about Bray? If you live in Bray, and like football, then why not support Bray aswell as "your" english/scottish club?
    Tickets are as little as 15euro for adults every home game.

Next home game is v Bohemians (Champions), Friday 3rd July, 7:45

Why not go? and bring the family or a few mates?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

No I don't support them. I'm not interested in football and being dragged down there as a kid wasn't very enjoyable.

They always get good crowds down there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

What are the prices for kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Get behind your local team, the quality of the football is good

mostly from the visiting teams I'm guessing - Bray are rock bottom of the table at the moment.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

loyatemu wrote: »
    mostly from the visiting teams I'm guessing - Bray are rock bottom of the table at the moment.

pretty much sums it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 CelticTiger*

No I don't support them. I'm not interested in football and being dragged down there as a kid wasn't very enjoyable.

They always get good crowds down there
    Well, i did say this only applies too football fans.
    Also, the average crowds are a little over 1,000 which is poor for a large town of 30,000 + people and also surrounding towns like Greystones and Shankill which with Bray would add up to about 60,000 + people

• Advertisement

foxy06 wrote: »
    What are the prices for kids?

7 euro, for under 16s and over 65s

loyatemu wrote: »

To be fair the squad is quite young and lacks experience,so we've been inconsistant throughout the season,
    We beat Shamrock Rovers 1-0 in Tallaght earlier in the year, but then we go and lose to teams like Sligo 3-0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

You've got your Man Uniteds, Liverpools, Arsenals and Celtics.
    There are more than one of each of these clubs now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Well, i did say this only applies too football fans.

Then you should have posted it in the SOCCER forum....

Im only trying to get through to folks in Bray

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

]

Ahh Cmon Mike hes only trying to get Support for Wicklows only League of Ireland Team they might not be doing well but its good to get out at support you're local team & something to bring you're kids to if they like Soccer they have Won the FAI Cup a couple of times & League of Ireland a good few times!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

]they have Won the FAI Cup a couple of times & League of Ireland a good few times!

they've never actually won the league (though they've taken the First Division title a few times, and it looks like they'll be getting another shot at it next year...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

1. If you do not already support Bray Wanderers, why not?

Because I support Shamrock Rovers!

Watch this video and see if your mind is changed about Irish Football

http://vimeo.com/5414266

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

Ventured into the Carlisle Grounds last night - good start by Bray but by the end of the game it was men against boys.

Looks like a long hard season ahead for Wanderers. Hope they stay in the top division but it's going to be a struggle :(....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Used to go loads when I was younger before they got the seats from Bolton! Hav eoften thought about heading back down,trying to get into it regularly but I feel they're a lost cause at this stage.I know my attitude been matched by 100's of others in Bray is probably the cause of their demise! Have they any big friendlies coming up? The Newcastle days were good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Gillington wrote: »
    Have they any big friendlies coming up? The Newcastle days were good.

Charlton next week I think

Sure we played Leeds and Millwall last year aswell!

And it was Blackburn not Bolton :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

Bray Population-36,000
    Hoffenheim Population-3,672

TSG Hoffenheim play in a magnificent 30,000 stadium, Bray play in the Carlisle Grounds. There is something desperately wrong with the mentality of Irish people when it comes to football. How on earth can a stadium be packed playing against a ****e english second division club(leeds) yet not even close to capacity playing against the league champions in a competitive game?

Bray would be my closest team but I just can't support them, as a club they don't represent me, never have.

Bray Population-36,000
    Hoffenheim Population-3,672

TSG Hoffenheim play in a magnificent 30,000 stadium, Bray play in the Carlisle Grounds. There is something desperately wrong with the mentality of Irish people when it comes to football. How on earth can a stadium be packed playing against a ****e english second division club(leeds) yet not even close to capacity playing against the league champions in a competitive game?

Bray would be my closest team but I just can't support them, as a club they don't represent me, never have.
    First of all, your probably being a bit optimistic with the population of Bray being 36,000, maybe 30,000?
    However, taking into account the populations of say Greystones and Shankill, that brings it to at least 60,000.

My personal list of problems with Irish Football...

1) The Fai dont look to be too commited to make the league successful, they pump 5 million euro every year into the league..prize money etc.
    The winner gets a paltry 280,000 euro.
    Yet overnight they can write a cheque for 75 million towards the development of Lansdowne.

2) Clubs incomes do not match their expedenture, for many reasons im not arsed to make out right now

3) Crowds are at levels comparable to the Blue Square Premier League (conference) the 5th tier of english football.

4) The majority of so called football "supporters" in this country have (for some reason) developed a love affair with british clubs, ie. Man Utd, Liverpool, Celtic, Chelsea and Arsenal.
    Mainly thanks to Sky telivision and at the same time the demise of our own league.

5) The standard of facilities is just awful, which makes it increasingly difficult to attract crowds.
    One exception, i have to say would be Tallaght Stadium, its a fantastic little ground compared to the rest.
    What saddens me is that clubs in the past few years have priortised spending on better players and higher wages rather than infrastructure.
    Also, government grants are yet to be unlocked (dont know why)

6)The Marketing of the league is very low key, compare with GAA and Rugby.
    The is no sense of occasion/event in our league.
    There are no "stars" playing in our league.
    The marketing budget for the league is something like a mere 100,000 euro.
    If your aware of what they did in Australia, thats what we should look into.
    Having said that, we cant market such a poor product with ****e infrastructure.
    You see, its a vicous circle :mad:

7) The league operates in isolation with the rest of football, theres no relationship with amatuer and junior football.No pyramid system.

8)There is no regular pattern to the TV coverage and it is not
    promoted/marketed effectively.
    Compared to the saturation coverage of English Premier League and
    Champions League football, high standards are set and expectations for the quality of coverage are not matched.

RANT OVER

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

Great post. However you said we should copy Australia(maby we should) but Norway for me would be the most obvious model we should follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Lads, this is veering dangerously close to being a general soccer discussion rather than focusing on Bray Wanderers and therefore is also dangerously close to being moved to the Soccer forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 mcgiggy

Bray Wanderers lost last night to Shamrock Rovers 2-1. Very unlucky and very lively game. The attendance was 2,000. Bray take on Charlton next Wednesday the 15th of July, the same night as the opening of the Bray Summerfest. So why not take the opportunity to get a few mates together, try out the whole Bray Wanderers football atmosphere, eating the chips from the plastic tray, getting to shout abuse at a footballer 7 feet away from you. Get to see real athletes that want to be the best in their game. Get down to the Carlisle on the Wednesday the 15th kick off 7.45pm, enjoy the game then saunter down to the seafront and get a table outside one of the pubs and watch Rattle & Hum kick off the summerfest on the bandstand at 10pm. Sounds like a good night to me.

And just to add Bray has a population of 32,000 according to the last census.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

mcgiggy wrote: »
    Bray Wanderers lost last night to Shamrock Rovers 2-1. Very unlucky and very lively game. The attendance was 2,000. Bray take on Charlton next Wednesday the 15th of July, the same night as the opening of the Bray Summerfest. So why not take the opportunity to get a few mates together, try out the whole Bray Wanderers football atmosphere, eating the chips from the plastic tray, getting to shout abuse at a footballer 7 feet away from you. Get to see real athletes that want to be the best in their game. Get down to the Carlisle on the Wednesday the 15th kick off 7.45pm, enjoy the game then saunter down to the seafront and get a table outside one of the pubs and watch Rattle & Hum kick off the summerfest on the bandstand at 10pm. Sounds like a good night to me.

And just to add Bray has a population of 32,000 according to the last census.

Wasn't there a wall collapse there last night also and a supporter taken away with a broken leg ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Stokes

Did the game get that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

This discussion can continue here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement