Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Cavan Need a Dualler?

• 28-06-2009 4:00am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was travelling in my car from Dublin to Enniskillen a couple of months ago and, having done this journey a few times now over the past few years, I've come to the conclusion that while the roads in Cavan have vastly improved in the past 15 years, the Cavan town bypass needs to be upgraded to a full dual carriageway.

There always seems to be a lorry, set of lorries or slow moving car on this road and it's often nigh on impossible to safely overtake. Also, the so-called grade separated junction on the Cavan bypass is very dangerous as a guy in his car nearly drove straight out into me as I did 90kph along the bypass - the merges are far too short.:eek::mad:

Finally with the M3 Dublin to Kells motorway due to open later this year, it will make improving the N3 route in Cavan an even greater priority.

So - what do Cavanonians think? Does Cavan need a dual carriageway? And when will the really bad section of N3 around Belturbet be improved?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Bummer

I thing alot of people in co cavan would agree with slow moving vechiles on the by-pass but this is only sometimes a once off and other times its free to travel with no delays at all....All depends on your time of use using the bypass.

No latest news on the belturbet by pass but theres been a very large push on it with all the deaths around the bad bends(Bunn area) but with this rescession and cut backs on our roads its not looking promising...But hopefully.

Thats just my point of view in relation to your question.:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm sure the Cavan bypass can be much quieter compared to the times I've travelled on it but it seems to be a bit of a waste of a good section of road not to have it dualled and thus made much safer. There seems to be a lot of dangerous overtaking on this section of road.

When the M3 motorway opens, some sections of the N3 in Cavan will look pretty poor in comparison. It never ceases to amaze me the sheer amount of lorries on the N3 in Cavan as well. I think the Cavan Bypass needs to be dualled, perhaps to a 2+2 standard like they did on the N4 Rooskey-Dromod Bypass in Leitrim.

N4 Roosky-Dromod 2+2 bypass
    290px-N4_Dromad-Roosky.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

That road should have been made as a dual carriageway when it was first constructed.

Just another example of the fantastic level of foresight involved in Irish infrastructure projects. The same kind of bright spark who thought that two lanes would be enough for the primary ring road of the capital city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Gadjodilo

All good points, JK. Even an increase in the number of passing lanes would make life a lot easier. Another problem with the Cavan bypass is that the roundabout where you turn off on the south east side is in an increasingly built up area and is well within the lower speed limit zone. The turn off should have been somewhere south east of Killygarry Church. It really shouldn't have taken a massive degree of foresight to spot this. People were saying it long before it was built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

The last thing this country needs is to start upgrading bypasses to duallers. The country has no money, so no need for a discussion, IMHO. I have never been on that stretch of road when I would call it busy, but the roundabout itself can be dodgy at times. Until the Belturbet and Enniskillen bypasses are built, I see no justification for doing anything in Cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

They had their chance to build a bypass, they've arguably cocked it up. Irrespective, they've had they're chance.

It'll be a few years before they can try again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So it looks like some others think the Cavan bypass should be widened and dualled. I think that it should be but bypassing Belturbet and Virginia are probably more urgent priorities.

I also agree that the Dublin Road approach to Cavan is unsightly - there's too many garish signs and developments and it does not look good for arriving visitors/tourists. Surely it could be improved/cleaned up?

Advertisement