Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St josephs orphanage

Options
  • 28-06-2009 4:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Does anyone know where st josephs orphanage was. i know its on the waterford rd, but where exactly. im bringing a survivor to see it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mason Fairbanks

Does anyone know where st josephs orphanage was. i know its on the waterford rd, but where exactly. im bringing a survivor to see it

Couple of hundred yards down past LARKINS chipper (everyone in europe knows where larkins is, so i'll assume you do too), on the left as you head out of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its a big red-bricked place. If you get to Lidl (coming from town) you've passed it. Behind walls with a big driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Is that in where the Irish Filmmakers is? I always thought that was an old convent.

What is in there now?

Yeah that's the place. No idea what its used for these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Mill Hill Missionaries are in there, as are Social services and Meals on Wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Couple of hundred yards down past LARKINS chipper (everyone in europe knows where larkins is, so i'll assume you do too), on the left as you head out of town.

I'd never heard of Larkin's Chipper til now. :confused:

You haven't lived.

Get your raggeddy ass on your bike, and get up to the Waterford road. Just past Del Papa's pizza at the turn off for Kells, look out for a grotty greying building with exterior decor dating from circa 1976.

Go in the door and queue up along the wall for 15 minutes with all the other hungry dirty punters and shout yourself a bag of chips. Try not to look at them storing/ cooking the food or any of the food preparation equipment or staff.

Buy your chips. Salt and Vinegar. Hot, steaming, greasy. Wolf in.

Nicest chips in Kilkenny, that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

fabbydabby wrote: »
    You haven't lived.

Get your raggeddy ass on your bike, and get up to the Waterford road. Just past Del Papa's pizza at the turn off for Kells, look out for a grotty greying building with exterior decor dating from circa 1976.

Go in the door and queue up along the wall for 15 minutes with all the other hungry dirty punters and shout yourself a bag of chips. Try not to look at them storing/ cooking the food or any of the food preparation equipment or staff.

Buy your chips. Salt and Vinegar. Hot, steaming, greasy. Wolf in.

Nicest chips in Ireland, that place.
    FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

:D

I can feel my cholesterol levels shooting up as we speak..

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

It's a pretty ominous old building. It's just not nice at all.

L'Arche and Young Irish Film Makers bring the kids in there now. But thankfully with a lot more encouragement and a lot less abuse.

I'm definitely in the minority, but I cannot see the appeal of Larkins chippers. A load of pulpy filthy mank. But that's off the beaten track. (Throws grenads, covers ears for explosion).

• Advertisement

Dare I delve deeper into digression and inquire as to where exactly you DO procure your chippy goodness then, Mr Threadhead, if indeed that is your real name?!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭CJay

Dare I delve deeper into digression and inquire as to where exactly you DO procure your chippy goodness then, Mr Threadhead, if indeed that is your real name?!

I find Kilkenny is divided between Joe's (mankiest chips ever) and Larkins (best chips in the world, Carlsberg should do an ad about them) with minorities who go for Rocco's or Roma (are they even still open??)

If you drop into St. Josephs Studios, young irish film makers, say Hi to my mammy!

I will if I ever do.

How DARE you imply that the Roma is closed! They do the nicest bacon double egg and chip this side of the shannon. Proper, salty butchers bacon, none of yer Denny sh1te. And their omlettes and Pizzas are savage also.

And yes, joe's are mank, which is probably why they give them out free with stuff. What about the Blue Door? Eh?

Well I dare suggest because I moved to Mayo, Larkins have become an even more cherished treat!!

Roma is great for the sit down meal, personal favourite is the eggs, chips and beans with a glass of coke! Nom nom nom! Add the bacon for the best hang over cure!!

Blue door, I know I know that place by a different name but can't place it...remind me!

As for Joe's, why does the crap from there smell so bad? If I hop into a taxi I can tell if someone's been in it eating joe's!!

Because they usually drown everything with several kilograms of salt and a few buckets of vinegar? :D

nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

Aw I like Joe's....... :( Except they give you waaaaay too many chips.

Don't really like the Blue Door, have probably only been to Larkin's about 3 times in my life (they were nice, but they're sooooo slooooooow in there, from my experience anyway)

Actually, all chippers in the country should do a study on how to run a queue by looking at Lennox's in Cork. I know it's not the done thing (particularly in KK!) to defend something to do with Cork, but man Lennox's know how to do efficiency. And the food is delicious. And it's spotless. And for the couple of mins you're waiting, if you've a child with you (or if they take a shine to ya!) they give them a chip/chicken nugget on a little fork to keep them occupied. Lovely!

Aw I want one of their chicken burgers now.......

Oh God, this started as a thread about Joseph's, look what it turned into... sorry :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

CJay wrote: »
    Blue door, I know I know that place by a different name but can't place it...remind me!

Delaney's Chipper!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

From an orphanage to chippers!

The Blue Door chipper - meh.

Never been the same since Mr Delaney died.
    Back in the day you could only get Chips, Sausages, Fish and Pudding. No burgers and no chicken. You couldn't beat the sausage suppers out of there. Used to wrap the chips in newspaper too.

On Good Fridays, back in the time when everything shut on Good Friday, they used to open up especially just to sell Fish & Chips. Used to be a mad queue out the door.

It is indeed, Pat Threadhead is my name. How do you do?

My personal preference chip wise is Culletons or the artist formerely known as La Palma and Breda's Chippy on Friary Street. It's not the old school chippy of Breda's anymore. New staff, with uniforms and stuff. It's a pure gourmet chipper with the quickest service in town. It's pretty amazing. It's only new so give it a chance but it already beats the nuts off the others.

Although, Rocco's deserves a good shout out.

I actually7 walked past it today on my way to Subway (I know I know) and wondered what the food was like.

The clientele seems to be loud middle aged types.

• Advertisement

Aaaah yes, Delaneys, was never a regular! Breda's was our stop off on the walk home from Nero's on a friday night, decent chips and my flat mate used always find 20 quid in the door way :D considering Nero's friday night deal, fiver in and first drink free that would be her night out paid for....jammy cow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

Threadhead wrote: »
    It is indeed, Pat Threadhead is my name. How do you do?

My personal preference chip wise is Culletons or the artist formerely known as La Palma and Breda's Chippy on Friary Street. It's not the old school chippy of Breda's anymore. New staff, with uniforms and stuff. It's a pure gourmet chipper with the quickest service in town. It's pretty amazing. It's only new so give it a chance but it already beats the nuts off the others.

Although, Rocco's deserves a good shout out.

I was wondering how long it would take you to bring up your beloved Breda's, even after the food poisoning incident :P
    You may introduce me to this gourmet chipper when I next venture home, but a few pints first!!!

Unlike "Pat" Threahead, I have sampled the cholesterol tripling delights of Larkins chipper, and I have to say it is up there with Irelands best, and I should know, I guess I am a fast food connoisseur, from Jackie Lennox's to Lyons of Clonmel, Larkins is among the finest :)

Makes me miss home all the more!!

Lennox's is indeed delightfully delicious and their production system is phenominal. You wouldn't want self confidence issues though, shouting up your order to the guy at the top of the queue from the very back of the room in front of everyone... and yer man at the till taking about 50 orders in his head then.

I went off it a bit though, after I found out from a lad that worked there that they put green food dye in the mushy peas to make them green (they are gray in reality).

Alright Pat, I'll give Breda a run for her money. They better be proper frash cut chips though, none of yer frozen sh!te.

No, it's all proper class I guarantee you that. As good as the chips are, they wouldn't be the towns best but they certainly bate the nuts off Joes and Larkins. I can say that for sure.

Everything else there is top of the range. As I said, it's as close to a gourmet chipper as you can get. Gourmet being the word for all manner of fancy different crap.

Don't think of it as Breda's though. They just happen to have shared the same building. And wall decorations.

Advertisement