Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to feed abandoned kitten - 2 days old

Options
  • 28-06-2009 6:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

A cat gave birth to 2 kittens in my garden. one kitten is gone & no sign of the mother. one kitten has been left behind, eyes shuts, chord still attached :o. what tshould we feed her to keep her alive?

Is human baby formula suitable?

advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

oh lord You have a real problem,very slim chance it will survive even if you could give it attn 24/7.

any chance you can find a cat already nursing?she might accept it as her own.neighbours, vets,?notice in your local shops?.

a chemist will proably give you a syringe with no needle so you can at least give it water for a few hours.it will not live for more than hours without one of the above.

I wish you luck and fair play to you for your gentle nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

You should be able to pick up some kitten replacement milk in any petshop or vets. At that age kittens can't go to the loo on their own so you'll need to wipe his/her bum after every feed.

Best of luck to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Here's a link http://www.feralcat.com/raising.html
    It's American but all the info is there. Lactol is a good kitten formula to use. We have a 4 year old cat who came to us in very similar circumstances except she was brought to us by a builder who found her on the site with cord still on also. She's a bit on the small side but otherwise very happy & healthy. Good luck, it's alot of hard work in the beginning but it can be done!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Other have given great info already - keeping it warm & giving it milk, and obviously helping it go to the loo.
    But if you're able, I'd bring it to the vet in the morning, maybe just to check all is ok - I'm not sure about chords, don't the mothers usually chew it off? (or am I going looney) just so it doesn't get an infection.

Do it seem ok now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Gonzales, it's probably too late for this, but for future reference:

Never assume a new kitten is abandoned. If the mother and the other kitten are missing, it's because she's moving them to a safer place. She can only carry one at a time, so could have left the kitten you saw while she moved the other one. The best thing to do for the first couple of hours is observe the kitten and see if she comes back for it. I assume she gave birth in a reasonably sheltered area of your garden, but then may have decided it wasn't safe and she needed to move.

When a new kitten is separated from its mother, its chances are very slim. You will need to contact a vet in the first place, for suitable formula milk - cow's milk can kill a kitten that size. The vet may also be able to put you in touch with someone who's fostering or has a nursing queen at the moment and she may take on the new kitten - though if the abandoned kitten is two days old there's a good chance the existing litter the queen has will be bigger and will bully the newcomer out of the way.

It's also a good idea to see if the vet knows an experienced foster carer who has done this before and can either take the kitten or advise you. It's round the clock feeding with a new kitten that size, and while it can be done it often doesn't work. The kitten really needs the colostrum from its mother's milk to get it through the first few days and if it hasn't had even one feed from her before she went to move them, it really has no chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

Gonzales, it's probably too late for this, but for future reference:

Never assume a new kitten is abandoned. If the mother and the other kitten are missing, it's because she's moving them to a safer place. She can only carry one at a time, so could have left the kitten you saw while she moved the other one. The best thing to do for the first couple of hours is observe the kitten and see if she comes back for it. I assume she gave birth in a reasonably sheltered area of your garden, but then may have decided it wasn't safe and she needed to move.

When a new kitten is separated from its mother, its chances are very slim. You will need to contact a vet in the first place, for suitable formula milk - cow's milk can kill a kitten that size. The vet may also be able to put you in touch with someone who's fostering or has a nursing queen at the moment and she may take on the new kitten - though if the abandoned kitten is two days old there's a good chance the existing litter the queen has will be bigger and will bully the newcomer out of the way.

It's also a good idea to see if the vet knows an experienced foster carer who has done this before and can either take the kitten or advise you. It's round the clock feeding with a new kitten that size, and while it can be done it often doesn't work. The kitten really needs the colostrum from its mother's milk to get it through the first few days and if it hasn't had even one feed from her before she went to move them, it really has no chance.

thanks, we did observe for 4-5 hours before moving in.
    The kitten seemed strong y'day evening & she pi$$ed like a mare when we did the wipey thing as advised :P. let see how it goes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Sounds good :-) maybe ask your vet for the best formula etc. Are you guys going to keep the kitten?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭louliewan

Same happened me few years ago, goats milk is universal(a vet told me) so, that should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

My brother found a kitten in similar circumstances a few years ago.
    We used a kitten bottle and kitten substitue milk. Unfortunately though our itty bittey (what we called her) died a few days later in my arms (was very sad:( ) after we tried our best and I had been with her round the clock (I think i had been on school hols).

It's hard work but there are success stories and I hope yours is one of them.
    Let us know how the little fella is doing :)

jen_23 wrote: »
    My brother found a kitten in similar circumstances a few years ago.
    We used a kitten bottle and kitten substitue milk. Unfortunately though our itty bittey (what we called her) died a few days later in my arms (was very sad:( ) after we tried our best and I had been with her round the clock (I think i had been on school hols).

It's hard work but there are success stories and I hope yours is one of them.
    Let us know how the little fella is doing :)

so far so good - day 4 & she is still looking ok - feeding & pi$$ing & making noise. seems more mobile also. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Gonzales wrote: »
    so far so good - day 4 & she is still looking ok - feeding & pi$$ing & making noise. seems more mobile also. :)

That sounds really promising! Yay!! :) fingerscrossed she keeps getting stronger and stronger!!
    Oh just a thought have you taken any pics:D

no pics yet, maybe tomorrow, if I'm not too lazy - still going strong though. When can we expect her to open her eyes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

keep us updated please, same thing happened to me, found a female kitten hit by a car, called her "wee man"... well I am from the north... she had sexuality issues so ran away 7 months ltr:)

fair play to you

paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Eyes begin to open from roughly days seven through ten... but each kitty is different. :)

At the moment she should be getting two-hourly feeds and keep her very warm.

If please god she makes it, you can start weaning her onto very sloppy, mushy kitten food from approx. five to six weeks onwards.

Really hope the little mite thrives for you. Fair play to you for doing all you can.

I've always found Lactol works best, you can get it in the vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jolo

Best of luck to you!

We did something similar years ago with an abandoned litter. 4 out of the 5 died which was very traumatic. We used Whiskas kitten milk which used to come in little cartons. We warmed it a little by placing it in a glass inside a cup which had warm water in and fed it with a little syringe - no needle. One little fighter survived.

It's also very important to make it poop often. So on the vet's advice we rubbed down it's tummy to the bottom with a little cotton wool pad dipped in warm water and squeezed out well. It just needs to be warm and damp. This is to simulate the mother licking it this way. Always down towards the bottom. It's important to do this after every feed at least. They poop a lot too.

Sorry to say the little kitten died during the night :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Gonzales wrote: »
    Sorry to say the little kitten died during the night :(.

:( you tried your best thats all you coulda done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Suzannem

please take my advice and dont over feed the kitten with milk, i havent read through the whole thread. but if you havent seek advice from a local vet on how much and how many times per day you give it milk! :)

all the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Sorry to hear it Gonzales - it's a heartbreak, but you did what you could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Suzannem

aw :( sorry to hear that.

you defo did the best you could! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jolo

Sorry to hear that Gonzales. You tried your best for the little sweeetie. Well done!

Advertisement