Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card recommendations

Options
  • 28-06-2009 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card for my i7 system. It's been a while since I last followed the graphics card scene, so I'm a bit out of touch. I'm wondering what would be a good value mid-range card these days? Preferably something with a HDMI output.

Something along the lines of this:

Asus ATI Radeon HD 4870 Dark Knight 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-192-AS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=939

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Whats there to say, absolutely amazing Value at that price. I wouldn't class it as a mid range card, more like high end. I just sold one last week as I upgraded to the 4870X2, it'll handle and game You throw at it at 1920x1200

Remember OCUK are registered for Vat here so they change the Vatrate at checkout so it'll cost a little more than You expect.

Here's kompletts prices for comparrison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

So many different versions...what's the difference with the 2x model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The 4870X2 is two 4870's on the one card in CrossFire X. Not all games support CrossFire X and those that don't will run with a single card. CrossFire X doesn't double Your performance in the games that do support it, more like ~30% faster.

Get the 4870, its a fine card. The reason I upgraded mine is that I game at 1920x1200 and my 4870 was a 512MB version which suffers slightly with Antialiasing at this resolution. The 1GB one like You linked handles it better but wasn't available when I first bought. Also, the second reason I upgraded is that I got the XFX version 4870X2 on a special offer delivered to a friends house in the UK and forwarded here for under €300 while the exchange rate was in my favour and komplett were selling them for €420+ for cheapest brand.

Jump at that 1Gb 4870 while its on offer, its a great price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Got it. Thx. I wouldn't be serious enough into gaming to go down that route. The 1Gb 4870 is looking like my best option. I'll probably order it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Another vote for the HD4870. I upgraded to the 1GB version from an 8800GTS (G92) card and I've been able to max out everything at 1600X1200 since.

• Advertisement
Advertisement