Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco Blanch closed Sun 28/Mon 29 June

• 28-06-2009 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭

My wife went to Tesco in Roselawn this morning to find it closed until Tuesday 30 June. Apparently Tesco Clearwater (Finglas) is also closed.
    Maybe they are removing all the Irish products! :eek:

Superquinn was busy as a result and I guess Dunnes will be too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Gah good buy to the only proper 24 hor shop in the whole sodding area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

First thing we heard was when OH went round tonight, they really could have publicised this!! Not a great sign of respecting customers!

Was in last week when they were working and it was chaotic, nothing where it used to be and all the signs wrong.

Next stop Tesco Banbridge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It'll be cheaper when it reopens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Boots in Liffey Valley only sells English products. Even the Cadburys chocolate is imported from UK. and it tastes dire. The CocaCola is also brought in from UK. Coca Cola Ireland offered to buy Boots Liffey Valley a new fridge to put the Coca Cola in to keep it colder than the room tempreture that they currently sell all of their beverages at if they bought their Coke from CocaCola Ireland and Boots said NO.

They've been selling warm drinks here since Liffey Valley opened.:confused:.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Why are they closed? Anything mentioned on the signs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

It's being refurbished!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Don't think it's a refurbishment, just the new lines thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

no there were signs up thursday to say being refurbished

Definitely re-furbished (and no harm either!). Can't remember what night I was in last week but they had freezers out, some moved, some disappeared. Sections have been completely re-located and re-organised. It'll take a while to get used to the new layout, if we go back!!

Surely a leaflet drop in the Blanch/Castleknock/Coolmine/Clonsilla areas letting people know about this would have been cost-efficient. As it is there are a lot of annoyed customers. Even an ad in the Community Voice would have been a decent heads up.

Incidentally, the night we were in all the contractor vans were NI registered and the contractors we saw all had Northern Accents. It's not just Irish Brands they were replacing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I am a regular shopper over in finglas, and overheard two staff members talking about the upcoming store closure - this was last monday morning ... I had a good look around the shop but could see no signs etc.

Tesco down in Prussa street also closed today.

Strange behaviour - no publication of something they clearly knew was coming.

Tesco finglas was heavely refurbished/revamped over the past while, and it never shut.

I find it strange that a company closes like this....

• Advertisement

Front page of tonight's Herald. Apparently they had to close to make stuff cheaper!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There was a full page ad in today's Irish Times. They closed 9 stores and they're re-opening tomorrow with the promise of "thousands of price cuts", i.e. all the Irish products removed from the shelves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

They wont be getting rid of all the irish goods. They are only adding a few british brands and removing some irish goods that dont sell that well. All them popular irish goods will still be there.
    Calm down Zeph :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

They're leaving some Irish brands there so the customers can price comparison them.

Guess which ones the Joe/Joan Soaps will buy in this recession? the cheap ones/English ones. And then they'll say,"well you's chose with your pocket, we only stock what you's buy and you's chose the cheaper English brands".

And they remain blameless. We chose. Its our fault that they dont sell Irish products any more.

More Irish jobs gone from some Irish Grower/Manufacturer/Distributor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Vote with your feet folks - if you've a problem with Tescos stock, go elsewhere. That's the only way to influence retailers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Zaph wrote: »
    i.e. all the Irish products removed from the shelves.

Proof or GTFO. I can still pop into any one of them and find an Irish product. And as for why do they have to close to make things cheaper, they have to completely re-merchandise each store, not a simple thing if you ask anyone who has worked in retail.

However I do find what they're doing with staff, particularly in head office abhorrent, but do feel the need to point out the blindingly obvious above.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0701/1224249839471.html

Tesco are a business, just like any other, and will stock what the customer will buy and what makes them money. If you don't like Tesco, don't shop there. A huge amount of Aldi's and Lidl's stock is sourced from the UK, yet they don't seem to receive the same bad press.

If you are looking to blame anyone for this situation, blame the government. They should have been controlling the cost of doing business in Ireland, but they failed miserably and this is the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

PauloMN wrote: »
    A huge amount of Aldi's and Lidl's stock is sourced from the UK, yet they don't seem to receive the same bad press.

They also don't stick signs in fields of crops saying this Irish produce is being grown for Tesco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭daymobrew

athtrasna wrote: »
    Surely a leaflet drop in the Blanch/Castleknock/Coolmine/Clonsilla areas letting people know about this would have been cost-efficient. As it is there are a lot of annoyed customers. Even an ad in the Community Voice would have been a decent heads up.
    I got a leaflet drop today (Wednesday 1 July) of "The Tesco People - Dublin Edition" with a date of 27 June on it.

The front page "article" has the line: "In a bold move, Tesco will close their doors on Sunday and Monday..." (I added the bold for emphasis). :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

daymobrew wrote: »
    I got a leaflet drop today (Wednesday 1 July) of "The Tesco People - Dublin Edition" with a date of 27 June on it.

The front page "article" has the line: "In a bold move, Tesco will close their doors on Sunday and Monday..." (I added the bold for emphasis). :rolleyes:

So no more 24h on Sunday and Mondays it would seem?

• Advertisement

I'm still heading up North at the weekend, no customer loyalty in D15, might as well get the bargains!

No bargains if you are forking out on petrol to get there and adding onto the milage of the car.
    No loyalty :D Do you think they owe you something for letting you shop there? if you want loyalty get their loyalty cards and stock up on some reward points ;)

oblivious wrote: »
    So no more 24h on Sunday and Mondays it would seem?

I think it was just for them days only for the stock change and not a permanent thing.

cymro wrote: »
    No bargains if you are forking out on petrol to get there and adding onto the milage of the car.
    No loyalty :D Do you think they owe you something for letting you shop there? if you want loyalty get their loyalty cards and stock up on some reward points ;)

In an area of the city with every major supermarket within 15 mins, they should court loyalty. Clubcard points are not enough. We too got the Tesco news this morning, July 2nd, dated June 27th. Yes we did know it was closed, we wasted our time getting there!!

On NI, none of the issues you raise are factors because we're making a weekend away out of it. Better value in many ways than a trip to another city on the island. We don't go up all that much, once every 3 months or so, but what we save on the basics on those trips makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Awesome-O

No harm in it closing for 2 days, u won't starve there are plenty of other shops within walking, never mind driving distance of tesco so surely nobody was too put out. If it means they are doing up the shop it's for the good of everyone concerned and worth missing out on going there for 2 days.

I worked there the last time they did it up, it wasn't 24 hours then, they got a good bit done over night but it was chaos during the days and it took much longer so I think they made a great decision in closing it for the 2 days. I have been talking to old collegues who said one the main work had been done they all pitched in with scrubbing and cleaning every last corner, I can't wait to go and see the new store (I did however only get their paper in the door after it was re-opened which was bad from) and I will be buying what I can afford (the cheapest products) and not the ones that I should

daymobrew wrote: »

It just came in the door here today (Fri 3rd). Pointless...

Awesome-O wrote: »
    No harm in it closing for 2 days, u won't starve there are plenty of other shops within walking, never mind driving distance of tesco so surely nobody was too put out.

Tell me what other shops within walking distance or even 10 mins driving distance of Tesco Roselawn are open 24 hours - and weren't one of the 9 stores that were shut?? We can't usually shop within standard hours so yes I can say we were put out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Awesome-O

Well there are no other 24 hour supermarkets, for the amount of people that are in the shop during the night I doubt that was of major concern. If it was an emergency that u needed something there is a 24 hour garage in Hartstown that is always well stocked with essentials and in the middle of the night, with no traffic it is only a 4 minute drive from Roselawn.

If they hadn't closed the shop to do it up the same people who are on complaining now would be complaining that they are letting the shop go to pieces. Either way somebody as going to put put out so they chose the option that would keep the majority happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Complaints were about not being notified about the closure, not about the closure itself. I was in there just before it closed and they didn't even have a notice in the window saying it would be closed, which is poor form.

• Advertisement

I cant believe the over reaction to a shop closing for a couple of days :D

Stark wrote: »
    Complaints were about not being notified about the closure, not about the closure itself. I was in there just before it closed and they didn't even have a notice in the window saying it would be closed, which is poor form.

+1.

I have no issue with the closure, just wish they'd warned us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

athtrasna wrote: »
    +1.

I have no issue with the closure, just wish they'd warned us!

Oh for god's sake get over it. Are you really that sad that you're annoyed because Tesco didn't warn you that it was going to close for two days. It can do what it likes frankly. Supermarket customers can be very strange sometimes.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ateam wrote: »
    Oh for god's sake get over it. Are you really that sad that you're annoyed because Tesco didn't warn you that it was going to close for two days. It can do what it likes frankly. Supermarket customers can be very strange sometimes.

There's a certain irony in dragging up a month old thread to berate another poster and tell them to get over it.

He has every right to if the thread is open.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

cymro wrote: »
    He has every right to if the thread is open.

Nobody has any excuse for rudeness, whether the thread is open or not.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement