Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what air rifle

Options
  • 28-06-2009 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

thinking about buying a break barrel air rifle just fore targets and may be a few crows but want a good strong 1 any ideas lads of a good make and whats better the .22 or .17 and do i have to pay the same fee as my rifle licence are the bsa rifles any good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

CZ. wrote: »
    thinking about buying a break barrel air rifle just fore targets and may be a few crows but want a good strong 1 any ideas lads of a good make and whats better the .22 or .17 and do i have to pay the same fee as my rifle licence are the bsa rifles any good

If you lived in the U.K. you could go to a dedicated airgun shop with racks of air rifles and choose after advice from the owner.Here, our Stalinist airgun laws have killed this trade almost completely.
    However,the important things to consider are:
    1.177 or .22 ? I'd say .177 under 12 ft/lbs ( over the counter guns in the U.K.) and .22 over , say about 18 ft/lbs
    2. Weight :between 4 and 10 lbs -its up to you.
    3. The quality of the trigger. Often forgotten and Weihrauch ( big German firm ) have the best.
    4. Single or multishot - there are very few multishot springers but see the 'Air Arms prosport.'
    5. Fitted with a silencer ? Sounds daft but it quitens the gun and acts as a cocking aid.
    6. Don't forget to factor in the price of a scope.

I'd avoid any Chinese stuff and stick to the quality European makes. BSA are no longer made in Birmingham-now made in Turkey asfaik.

You can research and ask your local RFD to get you what you want but the large U.K shops ( see www.airgunbuyer.com ) will send you a gun on production of a licence of course.

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think that you won't find an air rifle that is simultaenously good for crows and target shooting (and I seem to remember someone posting that it wasn't legal to shoot any sort of bird with an air rifle, but I'm not an expert on that side of shooting).

If you want a decent target shooting air rifle, it won't be .22 cal, it won't be break-barrel, it'll in all liklihood be German, if you want it at a decent price it'll be second-hand, and if it's from within the last 20 or so years, it'll hold a five-shot group that's at most a millimetre wider than the pellet at 10 metres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

It is illegal to shoot birds with a rifle, air or powder burning. This is a safety thing as birds is mostly found in trees and all the attendant safety issues this presents.

I am pretty sure it's not legal to shoot ANY animal with air powered guns in this country, targets only. Why this should be I've no clue, as they are quite powerful enough to kill rabbits and rats, even those which are 'low' powered, i.e. under 12 ft lbs.

If you go for a springer I'd suggest a Weirauch or Air Arms in .177. Shoots flatter than .22 in lower powered models.

Try to buy a new one as these things don't always get the treatment they deserve and can be droopy/sloppy after a few years of being dropped and generally abused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭CZ.

is 12 ft lbs the most powerfull you can get in a spring air rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

No. Plenty more powerful springers available.

• Advertisement

what do they go up to

Put it this way CZ, meet a battlefield rifle from a hundred or two years ago that saw action and was later used for hunting bear and moose by Lewis and Clarke as they trudged across North America...

capture0824200515419_pm.jpg

[img]http://www.beemans.net/images/Operation 1n-29k.gif[/img]

.463 calibre, in case you're wondering, it was called the Girandoni and it was a repeater, so while the other side had fired a volley of muskets and couldn't see because of the smoke, the austrians were merrily firing up to twenty .463 musket balls per minute back in reply without smoke (or muzzle flash - if they'd given up on the whole march-about-the-field-in-brightly-coloured-uniforms thing, we'd all be speaking german today...).

Granted, they're now highly prized and very valuable collectables, and we don't make anything nearly so powerful anymore, but I know of at least one lad currently whacking bunnies quite successfully from a hundred yards out with a .22 air rifle, and the field air rifle lads are hitting targets out to 50 yards with their rifles, and I know of at least one air rifle (the Stalker Leopard) which goes up to 220 ft/lbs depending on what calibre you order it in (it goes up to .50 cal). That's about the highest though - most normal .22 air rifles for hunting would only go to 30-50 ft/lbs or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

You can shot a bird with a rifle and air rifle, and dont go off and find the babble on the justice website as a counter. It is just that babble

How about the babble saying the same thing on the NARGC website?
    From what I can tell, you can't shoot any bird with any firearm unless it's specifically permitted, which is a new EU rule? One of the hunters or rangers can no doubt give a more correct picture, but I believe that's the core of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,358 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

maglite wrote: »
    You can shot a bird with a rifle and air rifle, and dont go off and find the babble on the justice website as a counter. It is just that babble
    Sparks wrote: »
    How about the babble saying the same thing on the NARGC website?
    From what I can tell, you can't shoot any bird with any firearm unless it's specifically permitted, which is a new EU rule? One of the hunters or rangers can no doubt give a more correct picture, but I believe that's the core of it.

Nothing new about it, its around since the 1976 act.
    33.—(1) It shall be an offence for a person to kill or injure—
    [GA]

( a ) with a repeating or automatic shotgun (other than a repeating or automatic shotgun which is adapted or modified so as to render it incapable of carrying more than three shotgun cartridges), with an airgun, air-rifle, gas-rifle, pistol or revolver, or with any firearm fitted with a silencer device, any wild bird,
    [GA]

( b ) with a rifle, any protected wild bird.
    [GA]
    (5) In this section "rifle" includes both a gas-rifle and an air-rifle.
    Wild birds and their nests and eggs, other than wild birds of the species mentioned in the Third Schedule to this Act, shall be protected.

Maglite can you show where this has since changed (for all I know it has), or explain why it's babble?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Wheirauch Hw 100 in .177 would be a very nice gun for hunting and informal targets(not indoor competition stuff)
    For a break barrell take a look at Hw80 or air arms, but in .22 you'd need to be well above 12 ft/lb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

I'll come back later and try to find a quote to support the statement, But I Have 2 guns one an Air Rifle the other a .22lr both were issued for the purpose of vermin control. The Air Rifle was specific to birds in buildings and was granted for that purpose.

The .22lr was sought for the contol of vermin on lands farmed, listed were fox, rabbit, crow and pigeon. Again the gun was licenced on these grounds.

was talking to my dealer today he said he could do a bsa precharged air rifle for 550 is this a good deal or am i getting ripped of are the precharged more powerfull than a springer does any 1 here use 1 would like to hear from yous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

what model and which calibre.
    I wouldn't be too keen on a BSA myself, not a very highly rated make.
    you can get a lot of gun for €550, a very nice rimfire for the same money or else get a secondhand air rifle sent to your firearms dealer here, whatever you do don't get a 12 ft/lb rifle in .22.
    Bryan

dont no what model but was a 22 i have rifles this is just for round my yard what make and power would you say to go for in a 22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

I'm currently looking at an Air Arms S410 Carbine in .22, they are about 22 PSI, nice and handy and as far as I know comes with a full length moderator over the barrel, so nice and quiet as well.
    The S410 Xtra comes with an adjustable power option, roughly from 7-33 psi, but its very long, I had one for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,358 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

maglite wrote: »
    I'll come back later and try to find a quote to support the statement, But I Have 2 guns one an Air Rifle the other a .22lr both were issued for the purpose of vermin control. The Air Rifle was specific to birds in buildings and was granted for that purpose.

The .22lr was sought for the contol of vermin on lands farmed, listed were fox, rabbit, crow and pigeon. Again the gun was licenced on these grounds.
    I think vermin control with an airgun (esp. indoors) is allowed under the derogation. Which may or may not be active at any time, so its still illegal to shoot birds with an air-rifle (albeit at times legal)

*This is my own opinion which may or may not be technically correct, one of the rangers can clarify the position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MC JOCK

CZ. wrote: »
    dont no what model but was a 22 i have rifles this is just for round my yard what make and power would you say to go for in a 22
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]THIS IS THE ONE .......
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The HW97K is a precision masterpiece. Its underlever cocking mechanism gives it improved accuracy over its break barreled rivals. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Coming fitted with a silencer the HW97K is a deadly quiet hunting legend.[/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

The HW97K is a precision masterpiece. Its underlever cocking mechanism gives it improved accuracy over its break barreled rivals. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Coming fitted with a silencer the HW97K is a deadly quiet hunting legend.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

The HW 97K is a VERY good gun. The only minus being weight and out of the box producing 13.4 ft/lb (chronographed mine)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MC JOCK

milkerman wrote: »
    The HW97K is a precision masterpiece. Its underlever cocking mechanism gives it improved accuracy over its break barreled rivals. [/color][/size][/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Coming fitted with a silencer the HW97K is a deadly quiet hunting legend.[/font]

The HW 97K is a VERY good gun. The only minus being weight and out of the box producing 13.4 ft/lb (chronographed mine)[/quote]

I lov this gun its the best buy i have had two ..weight not to bad..

• Advertisement
Advertisement