Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property tax for caravans

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

bop1977 wrote: »
    according to saturdays indo caravans are to be considered as a second home and hit with the $200.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/mobilehome-owners-to-be-hit-with-8364200-property-tax-1793433.html

Your point being?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Wasn't this expected? If it isn't on wheels it's a home, if you already have a home, it's a second home...

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

I can see the logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭estreet girl

Come on,it is a bit rich in fairness.Of course we all know of the big fancy dancy caravns/mobiles that have sprung up along the souuth east coast during the boom years that cost a fortune to site,but what about the likes of the ole wrecks that have been sitting on sites down the west for example for 30 years.I have one of these,and whereas it is not a wreck:D and is on a much nicer site,the burren,than any other in my opinion,our site would have nothing near the amenities of the newer sites.
    As far as I'm concerned,this tax should be on bricks and mortar and not caravans for the love of God.
    Somebody made a valid point about holidaing in Ireland.How the #### can people be expected to take this seriously now.
    I have been using a mobile home with my parents since I was 5 and now we have our own..
    I will be very reluctant to be pay this tax.

Actually,I will put the wheels back on,just as well I kept them:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Might get some tax off the travellers yet!

Hilarious:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I will be very reluctant to be pay this tax.

You say that like you have a choice in the mater.:D
    I though they were going to "catch" non payers by looking at ESB bills, would sites not just have one ESB connection for all?

Their looking at getting 1000e on average for every PPR, if they do, they will be really screwing anyone with a second home. I'd expect 200e to be more like 2/3000e by 2011 or so.

We have never ever got a bill in 30 years of the family having caravans sited! It all remains to be seen.Maybe the owner will just increase our yearly rent.At the minute we pay 600 so this most likely will rise.Whether or not the owner passes it on,who knows.
    At least our site fees are not crazy like some I have heard.
    Whats the world comin to,I ask ya!!:rolleyes::D:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

astrofool wrote: »
    Might get some tax off the travellers yet!

Tax is only on second homes ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They can tax the site instead of the actual mobile home and exempt it for short stays.

I read somewhere that they did a U-turn and the tax has been scrapped on Mobile Homes.Hope this is true:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

can anybody answer this for me.

do you pay VRT on a caravan ?

I mean surely the government cant chargae a vehicle tax and a property tax on the same thing. Surely it has to be classified as one or the other.

genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

You dont pay VRT or car tax on a caravan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Senna wrote: »
    You dont pay VRT or car tax on a caravan.

ok that ends that argument so lol. thanks senna

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Re the proposed 200 bucks stelth tax on mobilehomes - checked the official DOE site - www.nppr.ie and Mobiles are EXEMPT - TG cause I just bought one a few weeks ago! ;)

Hope you have many happy years in your new mobi.
    I'm delighted that is one tax I won't have to concern myself with:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

D3PO wrote: »
    can anybody answer this for me.

do you pay VRT on a caravan ?

I mean surely the government cant chargae a vehicle tax and a property tax on the same thing. Surely it has to be classified as one or the other.

genuinely curious.

A caravan is not a vehicle (don't know how to spell it as some Gardaí famously pronounce it) and thus should would not have VRT.

Don't worry because the government are going to come up with more ingenious ways of taxing us.
    Perhaps they will bring in a wheel tax and thus catch caravans, bicycles, wheelbarrows, kiddies trikes etc. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement