Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collecting the Dole

• 28-06-2009 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

What day do you collect the dole in Limerick? Is it different depending on what post office you'll be collecting at?

(I'll be collecting at upper william st)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Ring the Social Welfare office and ask them. If they haven't told you already. If you just signed on, expect to wait six to twelve weeks for it.

If you are told to wait a long period of time, then you should go to the HSE and claim supplimentary welfare allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Bagmagnet wrote: »
    What day do you collect the dole in Limerick? Is it different depending on what post office you'll be collecting at?

(I'll be collecting at upper william st)

i think its differnet for different people so they wont have everyone on the same day. i collect mine on wednesdays in upper william street. you should have been told wat day. if you wherent or just forget im pretty sure you could just find out in the social welfare office. ring doh you dont wanna que for the day:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

You sign on at the social welfare office,once a month on a pre determined day at the hatch number you are given.

You collect your money once a week at your given/named post office. This money becomes available to collect each Wednesday, and can be collected on the Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday each week. You just have to turn up during Post Offices hours on any of those days each week. You do not have a set time for your post office collection, nor a set day (other than your very first one) The logic behind it is so that people collecting are spread out over the three days.

The money does not build up should you not collect it one week, and if you do not collect it without having given the welfare office a valid reason that they accept, the social welfare payments are stopped, pending either a new application from scratch or the acceptence of a valid reason with proof.

Your post office will be able to explain this to you if you ask the next time you are in.

You recieve a letter from the Social welfare office to let you know when your first payment is, and your first sign on date. After that it is your own responsibility to check for your next monthly sign on date. It is displayed at your hatch when you are signing on, and you can also find out by phoning the SW office and giving them your PPS number

Kess73 wrote: »
    You sign on at the social welfare office,once a month on a pre determined day at the hatch number you are given.

You collect your money once a week at your given/named post office. This money becomes available to collect each Wednesday, and can be collected on the Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday each week. You just have to turn up during Post Offices hours on any of those days each week. You do not have a set time for your post office collection, nor a set day (other than your very first one) The logic behind it is so that people collecting are spread out over the three days.

The money does not build up should you not collect it one week, and if you do not collect it without having given the welfare office a valid reason that they accept, the social welfare payments are stopped, pending either a new application from scratch or the acceptence of a valid reason with proof.

Your post office will be able to explain this to you if you ask the next time you are in.

You recieve a letter from the Social welfare office to let you know when your first payment is, and your first sign on date. After that it is your own responsibility to check for your next monthly sign on date. It is displayed at your hatch when you are signing on, and you can also find out by phoning the SW office and giving them your PPS number

you are like an information guru. i wish i had a question i could ask....................... hmm dam it nothing comes to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

sign on every fourth tuesday, collect dole down the GPO every wednesday, but they hold it 'till friday or something so you can hold off on collecting if you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I've heard before of people who only need to sign once a month but
    the money goes into their bank account rather than visiting the post office.

Is Job seekers allowance the new name for the Dole? or are they two different things?

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

You could move to Spain for 3 months (90 days) and still collect your dole/job seekers allowance from the post office over there.You only need to fill out a couple of forms The €200 would go alot further over there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Bagmagnet

Thanks.

Got a letter this morning saying I can collect my first payment next Monday. Just wondering is this when I'll get my back pay too? Think I'm owed about 800 for the month since I applied at the end of May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 thekingpin

Whats the story with the days we must go collect it. I went in on a friday to collect it then next week i went in on a monday. I havent gone in this week yet but can I go in tomorrow and collect it and then go in on Friday again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 liz007

bullets wrote: »
    I've heard before of people who only need to sign once a month but
    the money goes into their bank account rather than visiting the post office.

Is Job seekers allowance the new name for the Dole? or are they two different things?

~B
    job seekers allowance is the new name for the dole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 liz007

yes you should get your back money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Was it really worth dragging a 3 month old thread up for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭seany2929

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    You could move to Spain for 3 months (90 days) and still collect your dole/job seekers allowance from the post office over there.You only need to fill out a couple of forms The €200 would go alot further over there too.

How is this possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

seany2929 wrote: »
    How is this possible?

It's a while since I posted that so can't remember the ins and outs of it, but it's something to do with EU law and you need to prove that you are actively seeking employment in the new country, Spain in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

Gneez wrote: »
    sign on every fourth tuesday, collect dole down the GPO every wednesday, but they hold it 'till friday or something so you can hold off on collecting if you want
    I'd be careful about assuming it's the fourth Tuesday of every month in the dole office. I did that before, but they moved it to the third Tuesday for one month and I missed my signing day. I didn't realise my mistake until I went to the post office and they told me my payment had been stopped. Check the receipt you get when you collect your money. Your next dole office signing date is written on the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 amzzy

Heya Just wondering my sign on day Is tomorrow but that's also the day I collect money from the post office I've to sign on between 2 and 4 and I usually collect the money in the morning can I collect as normal and then sign on or do I have to wait and sign on first I'm not sure cuz this is my second time the first was wen I applied?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭McSween

amzzy wrote: »
    Heya Just wondering my sign on day Is tomorrow but that's also the day I collect money from the post office I've to sign on between 2 and 4 and I usually collect the money in the morning can I collect as normal and then sign on or do I have to wait and sign on first I'm not sure cuz this is my second time the first was wen I applied?

You should sign on according to the dole office sign on time period. You can collect the money over the course of two days after. I used to collect on Friday with it being available from Wednesday.

amzzy wrote: »

you can collect your money before you sign on but just make sure you sign on at the time your suppose to. if you fail to sign on at teh right time then your next payment(next week) will be delayed by a few days

Advertisement