Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon Treaty Qoutes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

when you cant use facts to prove your point you can always quote people out of context...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Mayoegian wrote: »
    absolutely incrdible post-fair play!! This is common among yes voters, they cannot give ANY good reasons why to vote yes. They are just complacent and indirect when trying to give a reason. These quotes just symbolise the lack of knowledge about the Lisbon treaty among the yes voters(i.e. the Lisbon Treaty is bad for us and for Europe)

Just for the above I'm locking this thread. Mayoegian and Mayo1 are using the same IP address to post and are backing each other up in this thread. Both accounts have been banned while I look into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thread reopened as the two posters are apparently sisters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I think the idea of all quotes holding some kind of relevance is ridiculous anyway.

Firstly, lots and lots of quotes are used out of context. For example, quotes do not convey any sarcasm that may have been intended.

Secondly, quotes often are used as a tool by which people can dodge the relevant issues. Instead of discussing the merits and demerits of the Lisbon Treaty we have people just going "look, this guy said that Lisbon and the Constitution are almost the same, vote No."
    The only way to effectively respond to this is often times to employ other quotes against the original quoter. So instead of talking about what we think of the Lisbon Treaty, we are instead talking about what they think of the Lisbon treaty. Which is anti-productive.

Thirdly someone saying something does not mean its true. Even if this person is important.

So I sigh at these threads. They are just an attempt to discuss semantics as opposed to the real matter at hand - the Treaty of Lisbon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 AuRevoir

This is how commentators outside of the EU view our 'democracy' :

''In some countries they rig votes, in the European Union they repeat votes to get the desired result. After Ireland last year rejected the EU's Lisbon Treaty -- itself a rehashed carbon-copy of the EU Constitution that Dutch and French voters rebuffed in 2005 -- the Irish are being asked to reconsider. There will be another referendum in early October, Prime Minister Brian Cowen said Wednesday, and this time the Irish are expected to get it right. In Europe, they don't take "no" for an answer.'' - Taken from the Wall Street Journal, June 26th 2009

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124596865529556649.html

Many outsiders must despair when they had hoped for so much from the New Europe but now the democratic credentials of the EU are rusting before their eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

AuRevoir wrote: »
    This is how commentators outside of the EU view our 'democracy' :

''In some countries they rig votes, in the European Union they repeat votes to get the desired result. After Ireland last year rejected the EU's Lisbon Treaty -- itself a rehashed carbon-copy of the EU Constitution that Dutch and French voters rebuffed in 2005 -- the Irish are being asked to reconsider. There will be another referendum in early October, Prime Minister Brian Cowen said Wednesday, and this time the Irish are expected to get it right. In Europe, they don't take "no" for an answer.'' - Taken from the Wall Street Journal, June 26th 2009

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124596865529556649.html

Many outsiders must despair when they had hoped for so much from the New Europe but now the democratic credentials of the EU are rusting before their eyes.

And who is this commentator? Just because there's a blog on the Wall Street Journal site does not mean it should be given any more credence than any European commentator who would probably be able to give a much more substantial analysis of the complicated issues behind Lisbon Treaty.

I am always deeply sceptical when an author does not have the decency to put a name to their work, thus denying the reader the opportunity to examine their past pieces to see whether they have any particular political motivations.

Also I would say the fact that the people have their say on issues like Lisbon shows our "democracy" is pretty healthy so no need to use quotation marks next time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

This thread gets one star. Poor show.

Maybe next time, we could at some point bring the actual treaty in to the discussion. This isn't the back of the bus, we don't have to act like we're brain dead 14 year olds exchanging verbal diarrhea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Waste of a thread, really.

Not only is debating random things random people said irrelevant, but it's not even interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Biased posting much ?
    Also I would like to see links for these quotes, so that I know you aren't just making them up.

Ok, its quite simple... this is what I do when I want to check the authenticity of reported speech, quotes etc. Highlight the sentence, right click with the mouse, go to copy. Then open a new tab in Internet Explorer, go to Google, and right click in the search field.... select paste with the drop down menu (or ctrl v will also paste)... hit search.

If its an authentic quote, then it should appear verbatim in different websites, its up to you to decide on trusted sources if the quote seems disjointed or badly referrenced.

For example, Eamon Gilmores quote is from the site politics.ie, where you can also listen to a playback of the interview
    http://www.politics.ie/lisbon-treaty/79167-eamon-gilmore-his-u-turn-proposed-october-2009-referendum.html

Sarkozy's quote can be found on the Green Party website
    http://www.greenparty.ie/en/policies/discussion_documents/eu_reform_treaty/lisbon_treaty_should_not_be_given_the_green_light

Brian Cowen's quote in Mayo1's post, can be found here
    http://www.rte.ie/news/features/lisbontreaty/quoteoftheday.html

best
    The Dark Side

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Ok, its quite simple... this is what I do when I want to check the authenticity of reported speech, quotes etc. Highlight the sentence, right click with the mouse, go to copy. Then open a new tab in Internet Explorer, go to Google, and right click in the search field.... select paste with the drop down menu (or ctrl v will also paste)... hit search.
    It's not my job to check the authenticity of someone elses claims, maybe if you bothered reading the Charter you'd know that:
    Topics should not be verbatim quotes from some article without comment from the thread starter. Add a comment before or after the post, offering your opinion on the subject, or at the very least, your reason for adding the topic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    It's not my job to check the authenticity of someone elses claims, maybe if you bothered reading the Charter you'd know that:

Sorry, I was only trying to be helpful... you dont sound very chilled out for someone who was frozen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Sorry, I was only trying to be helpful... you dont sound very chilled out for someone who was frozen :pac:
    How do you think I thawed out ?

Advertisement