Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nct Expired Question

• 28-06-2009 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I bought a new car, a 01 almera, the dealer i bought it off said he would put it through the nct for me, so thats all good..

Heres the problem, i booked the nct the day i bought the car, a month and a half ago, but the date they gave me was for the 15th of August, the current on expires at the end of this month, June!

would there be any problems with me driving the car for that month? i know it will be up, but under the circumstances there would have be absolutely no way i could get the nct in time. also did i hear about people getting points on their license for having no nct on cars.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I bought a new car, a 01 almera, the dealer i bought it off said he would put it through the nct for me, so thats all good..

Heres the problem, i booked the nct the day i bought the car, a month and a half ago, but the date they gave me was for the 15th of August, the current on expires at the end of this month, June!

would there be any problems with me driving the car for that month? i know it will be up, but under the circumstances there would have be absolutely no way i could get the nct in time. also did i hear about people getting points on their license for having no nct on cars.

5 points if your convicted for no NCT but if there is a delay in the system they cannot really do you for anything as it is not your problem. I would assume keeping a letter with you of your nct date it would be ok..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dublintuition

I think they can still do you for it, even if you can't get a test in time, which, I know, is very unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zreba

I think they can still do you for it, even if you can't get a test in time, which, I know, is very unfair

yes, they can, and they might do as they're looking for every single cent at this time...

worst scenario - you cause an accident - you're car can be then considered as a non-road worthy, and you're f...ed

this is another bull**** law in here, they expect you to hold a valid NCT, but at the same time they cannot provide a way to make the test on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭target assassin

the funny thing is that i can understand if i had the car for years and just forgot to book it. then it would be your fault or even maybe just didn't think the test would take 3 months to book, but i booked the test the day i bought the car! there was nothing more i could do..

some one said that if i have the test booked "i should be fine"

is it down the gardas mood? lol garda discretion is a gray area to me

any who im just panicking because the nct was up yesterday and i hate having anything wrong, lol, i know people who are out of tax and nct for 7 or 8 months! but its my luck ill be pulled over tomorrow....

i know people who are out of tax and nct for 7 or 8 months! but its my luck ill be pulled over tomorrow....

Garda can let you go on checkpoints, it's up to them (good mood?), but you really wouldn't like cause any accident, and what's worse hurt anyone...

In any court the lack of NCT can be considered as driving the car which is faulty and not safe.

The tax is not as big issue, it's just a fiscal offence, you will be fined, but at least won't finish in prison for killing someone or making him disable...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

the funny thing is that i can understand if i had the car for years and just forgot to book it. then it would be your fault or even maybe just didn't think the test would take 3 months to book, but i booked the test the day i bought the car! there was nothing more i could do..

some one said that if i have the test booked "i should be fine"

is it down the gardas mood? lol garda discretion is a gray area to me

any who im just panicking because the nct was up yesterday and i hate having anything wrong, lol, i know people who are out of tax and nct for 7 or 8 months! but its my luck ill be pulled over tomorrow....
    Just go on the nct website and keep looking for cancellations - if you're flexible as regards time, you'll have the car tested within 10 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

i booked the nct the day i bought the car, a month and a half ago

i dont mean to be negative but theres also a good chance that ur car mite not pass 1st time,i failed last week because i forgot to pull the Back seatbelts from under the seat,prob because i havent had a backseat passneger since i bought the car.it failed last week and my re-test isnt til september.my NCT expired in 06th June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

zreba wrote: »
    In any court the lack of NCT can be considered as driving the car which is faulty and not safe.

That's assuming the car is actually faulty and not safe. In the event of a serious incident the car would surely be checked, NCT or not, and that evidence put before the court? The lack of a valid NCT does not a car safe make. The reverse is of course just as true, a valid NCT is in no way a reflection of the current standard of the car.

Mena wrote: »
    That's assuming the car is actually faulty and not safe. In the event of a serious incident the car would surely be checked, NCT or not, and that evidence put before the court? The lack of a valid NCT does not a car safe make. The reverse is of course just as true, a valid NCT is in no way a reflection of the current standard of the car.

you're right, but this argument will certainly be used against you

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭target assassin

Thanks guys, lots of good points! I just kept checking the site today and got a cancellation for tomorrow! Sweet, the guy I bought it off is bringing it down for me cause he gaurnteed the nct on it so don't c any problems and if there is he will sort them

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

This is all nonsense about NCT and penalty points. It was ALWAYS the case that if you had no NCT, you could be summoned to court and dealt with by the judge with suitable fine etc if convicted.
    The only thing that has changed is that now they can give you points if you are convicted in court. My point is that it is so very very rare for anyone to be brought to court for not having an NCT so the whole fear of penalty points really is not warranted.
    I think you would need to really piss off the garda for you to be summoned to court.

mickdw wrote: »
    This is all nonsense about NCT and penalty points. It was ALWAYS the case that if you had no NCT, you could be summoned to court and dealt with by the judge with suitable fine etc if convicted.
    The only thing that has changed is that now they can give you points if you are convicted in court. My point is that it is so very very rare for anyone to be brought to court for not having an NCT so the whole fear of penalty points really is not warranted.
    I think you would need to really piss off the garda for you to be summoned to court.

is it not in the opposit way by any chance? so before May, you had to be summoned to court in order to receive any penalty points, and now garda can give you points straight away on the street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mickdw wrote: »
    My point is that it is so very very rare for anyone to be brought to court for not having an NCT so the whole fear of penalty points really is not warranted.
    It's not that rare, happened to me last year! The judge did let me off, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    ..,i failed last week because i forgot to pull the Back seatbelts from under the seat,prob because i havent had a backseat passneger since i bought the car.it failed last week and my re-test isnt til september.my NCT expired in 06th June.

I thought seatbelt was only a visual so you must have failed on something else to say it warranted a booked in retest?
    zreba wrote: »
    is it not in the opposit way by any chance? so before May, you had to be summoned to court in order to receive any penalty points, and now garda can give you points straight away on the street?

My understanding is that its only a conviction in court can give you points for this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 amo_09

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    I thought seatbelt was only a visual so you must have failed on something else to say it warranted a booked in retest?

My understanding is that its only a conviction in court can give you points for this..

Heya

I work for the NCT, you could always get fined 1500 & 3 penalty points for having no NCT the past few years. Theres been 1000's of ppl on the road without any, so when the guards announced they were adding an extra 2 points the Nct was getting 4 times the amount of calls as usual thats why theres such a delay.

Its up to the guard on the day what he wants 2 do, usually if you have a letter your fine. If it did go to court you can get a letter for the VRU to say when you took over the car and a letter from the Nct saying what day you called to make the booking and you'll be fine :D:D

Advertisement