Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to education

Options
  • 28-06-2009 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

HI, I am 22 next month and would like to return to college i have studied childcare FETAC level 5 full after school as a post leaving cert course and Level 6 as a part time course.
    But now I want to become a doctor and I haven't a clue what to do.
    I done Leaving Cert Applied in school and was based on credits not points.

I am a year too young to be a mature student but finished school 5 years ago. someone please help.

I have tried searching online and i just don't understand. WHERE DO I START. :D

Regards
    Kielthy2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭giveliberty

Hi

First off you should read this. This is the HPAT (Health Professions Admission Test) which you will be required to undertake.

You shouldn't be required to pay fees as you would be progressing on the framework. A guide on applying for medicine can be found here.

You will have to apply through CAO as a normal Leaving Cert student. Sometimes it can be more beneficial to enter via mature student routes. If you want to apply before becoming a mature student you should contact the relevant school in each university to get the full requirements. Best advice would be to put your situation in writing to the course chair (or relevant contact person which will be found on the University website) and they will reply to you in due course. If you don't get a reply in two or three weeks, make a follow up call. If you can't get a hold of the Course Chair, maybe contact the admissions office, they will be able to help you.

There are limited places available to mature students to enter medicine in certain colleges. You should directly contact each University to confirm this and the criteria required.

My best recollection on UCD is that you will be required to have studied biology in the Leaving Cert or have worked for a significant period in a healthcare environment and show a strong interest and aptitude for healthcare. This could have changed. One very important thing to remember is that if speaking to the mature student or Course Chairs, it is important to come across confident, in control and be deliberate in your questions. These people have an ability to remember you when it comes to interview, and this could be your first impression, so make it a good one.

You will not get onto any course without a HPAT. Visit the HPAT website for more info on it.

Best advice, contact each university and find out everything you need - UCD has its own Mature Student advice service, which is very helpful.

Advertisement