Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5mile Phoenix Park run in july?

Options
  • 28-06-2009 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Thought id get out of the house and start a bit of training for this event. Is anybody else doing it?

If so, looking for a few buddies to train with :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

what run is this?

need more infos!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Eun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

It's the IrishRunner 5 mile challenge on 18th July, always great fun and a decent sized crowd. Relatively easy course as well.

If you're looking for some support/training tips stick a thread over on this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Lotsafish

:( registration closed yesterday, just missed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

The 10 mile is on 21 August. Its a flatter course than the five and the crowds ain't as bad once you're past the first 2 miles. Summer evenings and 7 weeks to train in. Go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Lotsafish

chinguetti wrote: »
    The 10 mile is on 21 August. Its a flatter course than the five and the crowds ain't as bad once you're past the first 2 miles. Summer evenings and 7 weeks to train in. Go for it!

I'm on it :D Might be crawling to the finish line but I'll make it there! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

I'm doing the 5 mile and the 10 mile, and I'm frankly sh1tting myself about them, but hopefully by then I'll be a bit fitter! 2 weeks is ages, right...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Everlast0282

Hi
    Does anyone have a starting number for sale for the 5 mile run on the 18th of july?? missed the registration:(

thx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

You could just join in if you want.

well, thats the plan B if i wont fine anyone who would like to sell the number :)

• Advertisement

You can't swap numbers as its against the T&C everyone signs so if someone swaps a number, that person might also be in trouble.

People have swapped numbers before and accidents happened, such as the person keeling over, been brought to hospital and treated for medical conditions that they didn't have (they go by the number and the details you give on the entry) and their next of kin is contacted who get a huge shock when they get a call to get to the A&E fast when they're standing in the kitchen besides them. Wouldn't wish it on you but it happens.

Also a number of races have taken to putting up photos of runners who clearly are not Timmy Murphy aged 46 wearing number 1465 when they are a young girl with a large bosom and dark hair in her early 20s. They then ban the runner who signed up to start with.

If you run behind others as you can't get a number, why didn't you enter on time? Its been advertised with months so you have no excuse. Everyone else will have signed up and paid to enter, some of the entry goes to charity. You won't feel the love from your fellow runners and won't get a goody bag as you have no number with the free stuff. So while you might think you're been smart, you're not.

There's plenty races on throughout the summer in and around Dublin so why not do one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Last year lots of people ran the 5m without numbers and it p1ssed the rest of the people off really. Some of them got passed the finish line, took tshirts etc.

For 10m the stewards were watching out for it and pulled non registered people off the circuit before the end.

You can't swap numbers as its against the T&C everyone signs so if someone swaps a number, that person might also be in trouble.

If you run behind others as you can't get a number, why didn't you enter on time? Its been advertised with months so you have no excuse. Everyone else will have signed up and paid to enter, some of the entry goes to charity. You won't feel the love from your fellow runners and won't get a goody bag as you have no number with the free stuff. So while you might think you're been smart, you're not.

There's plenty races on throughout the summer in and around Dublin so why not do one of them.

Thanks for the reply and pointing out the important stuff. Was actually thinking that when you are buying the starting number you actually are also changing
    the personal details.
    Will def try some other races, as it plenty of interesting events going on out there durnig the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Its been advertised with months so you have no excuse.

It's bullshıt. They closed the entries two weeks ago. I'd take part tomorrow but there is no way to register. I only noticed it was on when I was driving through the park a few days ago. They have big banners up advertising a race that there's no way to register for.

My previous post relates to 2010 but this comes up every year.

I think the reason they close the entries two weeks in advance is to get the numbers posted out to everyone. There's over 6,300 signed up so they have no other choice, its gets bigger every year. If they has sign up on teh morning, it would be chaos i'ld say. I think the first year i did it, there was about 2,000 in it.

The 10 mile is on mid August and will close early August i guess.

If you're looking for a 5 mile race, the ART forum should have plenty info for you as to one thats on in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It's bullshıt. They closed the entries two weeks ago. I'd take part tomorrow but there is no way to register. I only noticed it was on when I was driving through the park a few days ago. They have big banners up advertising a race that there's no way to register for.
    Lol, that's not advertising, that's warning park users that the race is happening and there will be delays and diversions in place

And as chinguetti said, they need to close it well in advance to post out the numbers

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement