Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So I'm thinking of buying a Xbox360.....

• 28-06-2009 5:06pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,387 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I was wondering what i should go for....is it worth shelling out the extra money for an elite or am i just as well getting a more basic one?

Is there a history of any of them breaking down? I know some consoles have a bad rep for breaking down after a year or 2 (we went through 3 PS2's!!)

Is it too risky buying a 2nd hand one?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I was wondering what i should go for....is it worth shelling out the extra money for an elite or am i just as well getting a more basic one?

Is there a history of any of them breaking down? I know some consoles have a bad rep for breaking down after a year or 2 (we went through 3 PS2's!!)

Cheers
    I'd buy a new one to be honest! You get a 3 year waranty so you'll be covered. There not too expensive around now, arcade's are about 150 I think, I'd recommend a 60 gb xbox, I started with a 20gb (too small) xbox when it first came out, only 2 RRoD's so far. I got a 120gb drive when they where on sale in HMV for cheap. I'd recommend getting a 60gb one or the 120(elite) one if your going to be loading lots of games or arcade titles on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

TBH the 60gig premium will do you.
    You should also get an Xbox Live gold membership if you plan on playing online.Also get Call of Duty 4 and World at War to play online, great games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭gary nevillevil

Mickeroo wrote: »

Cheers

Yes! well worth buying a new xbox 360, Just go for the basic arcade 360 and in the future you can upgrade to a bigger hard drive when you feel the need.
    Yes they have a bad history of overheating or the dreaded 3 red lights of death :eek: but i honestly think the newer models are more reliable now.
    And as already pointed out if you have any problems you get a 3 year warranty from mircosoft.
    I bought 2 360's one for son and one for me :D
    Yes too risky to buy a 2nd hand one just buy a new one.

PS: Xbox live is the best gaming fun you'll have ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭C0ward

You shouldn't buy one.

The sound from it is driving me mad, way too fcuking loud. It's very annoying.

I am thinking of getting a ps3 instead.

C0ward wrote: »
    You shouldn't buy one.

Load the game onto the hard drive, not loud at all! and I've the very first model out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Load the game onto the hard drive, not loud at all! and I've the very first model out

Same here , used to be like a small plane taking off not any more though :D

Im on a 20gb hard drive , its fine but if you plan on downloading demos or playing more than one or 2 games at a time its a pain installing and uninstalling stuff for me , will upgrade to a bigger drive in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

You shouldn't buy one.

Yeah install to hard drive quite's it down alot. Plus there's mostly mandatory installs on ps3 games, Killzone 2 is the only one I know of that can be played off disc and these can be upwards of 15 minutes.

It's too risky to buy second hand I would say. Also, get one with a hard drive and yes there is a history of them breaking down, pretty substantial although it's never happened to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Absolutely go for a 360.
    Also make it an elite, reason being;

Xbox Live will soon be releasing a direct download service for games. A game will probably come in at 3-4gb of space and if you want to download a few over a period of years... it makes sense.

Also the list of arcade gams available to download is getting better and better. Gems like Marvel Vs Capcom & The Secret of Monkey Island are soon to be released. Having to constantly delete stuff to make space for new games would get very old very quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Paddy_B

You shouldn't buy one.

My brother has a PS3 that used to be silent but lately it a very loud fan turns on which makes it louder then my 360 ever was!
    And now that I load the games onto the harddrive its almost as good as the PS3 without the fan and also helps with the reliability.
    60GB Hard drive is more than enough because you can get the 1TB one when it comes out lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I'd buy a new one to be honest! You get a 3 year waranty so you'll be covered. There not too expensive around now, arcade's are about 150 I think, I'd recommend a 60 gb xbox, I started with a 20gb (too small) xbox when it first came out, only 2 RRoD's so far. I got a 120gb drive when they where on sale in HMV for cheap. I'd recommend getting a 60gb one or the 120(elite) one if your going to be loading lots of games or arcade titles on though.

I am sorry but WTF????
    Only 2 RRoD? That is a crazy thing to accept from any company!!

Other than BluRay, the only reason that I did not get the Xbox is this crap about people being expected to tolerate a massive failure rate

• Advertisement

I am sorry but WTF????

Other than BluRay, the only reason that I did not get the Xbox is this crap about people being expected to tolerate a massive failure rate

Considering I've had it about 3 1/2 years now, and it's been played to bits, I don't think that's too bad. Since they fixed it the second time 2 years ago, I've had no problems at all. They paid to ship and fix it for free, gave me a month of xbox live and a free game for the second fix with a fairly fast delivery back.

Even with my 2 RRoD's I still love the xbox and would choose it over the PS3 anyday. With the new final fantasy coming out for the 360, and a metal gear game coming over, I don't really see the point in going for a PS3. Plus I'm pretty broke at the moment :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I am sorry but WTF????

When you think about it its a massive complement to microsoft that people are willing to put up with such unreliability rather then jump ship to a rival console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

When you think about it its a massive complement to microsoft that people are willing to put up with such unreliability rather then jump ship to a rival console.

Personally I think it is fanboyism to the highest level

As I stated, BluRay was the clincher for me but even without that I would not have bought the XBox based on the failure rate.
    I have enough things that I can blow money on.

I think that the XBox is a great console but I also think that they rushed it out, rather than test it to a proper level, to steal the march on Sony.

I really do not want to come across as a troll or anything here, this is all just my personal opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

Dont want to hyjack the thread...

Looking to pick up a new xbox360 and stuck between 3 options:
    1. Xbox360 arcade.... I already have 20gb hardrive, 2 wireless controllers etc.
    2. Xbox 360 premium - Gamestop said it would be €250 for the 60gb version along with one brand new game on my choice
    3. Xbox360 elite - Gamestop said it would be €300 with no game

Price is obviously a concern, but is there any major advantages the elite has over the premium apart from the bigger hardrive?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Im in Drogheda region fwiw, if anyone knows of any good deals anywhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

2. Xbox 360 premium - Gamestop said it would be €250 for the 60gb version along with one brand new game on my choice

Price is obviously a concern, but is there any major advantages the elite has over the premium apart from the bigger hardrive?

No more advantages than bigger harddrive. Would you be able to justify spending as much as twice the price (between options 1 and 3) for bigger hdd? Because the only othe difference would be a colour of a console.
    I would stick to option to option 1 and wait for good deal on bigger hard drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

As I stated, BluRay was the clincher for me but even without that I would not have bought the XBox based on the failure rate.
    I have enough things that I can blow money on.

I think that the XBox is a great console but I also think that they rushed it out, rather than test it to a proper level, to steal the march on Sony.

I really do not want to come across as a troll or anything here, this is all just my personal opinion

I really dont think its fanboyism, people are so quick to yell "fanboy"......

I too have had an xbox 360 since day one, i have been through 2 consoles in that time, ive been without the console for maybe 3 weeks in total of having it whilst getting them fixed, I had a wii also, ended up selling it to buy a PS3 as it just was not for me!

The Ps3 doesnt have as many good games, and thats being honest, and since most of my friends only have 360s I find myself buying the xbox version of said games just so we can play online together..... not one of my mates have a PS3!

The ps3 online service is cack, marketplace is like a wasteground, and the online play as proved by continuous play of COD4 & Sf4 on both the PS3 and the Xbox, for some reason both games drops connection every so often, for no reason at all, ive never once had this issue once on XBL.....

I have LBP, Wipeout, and MGS4 on the Ps3, all great games, but still not enough to warrant much play from it, I liked and played Uncharted on Ps3 aswell and am looking forward to the sequel, but sony would want to get the finger out and start releasing some killer app sony-only Ps3 games.....

Ico maybe?

Im getting pissed off with buying an expensive dvd player you see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

In a lot of cases yes but it cant count for them all. My own story was I decided to get a ps3 because of the reliability issues with the 360 but eventually swapped it for a 360 (i know I could have had both for not much more but i'm very anti-clutter) Simply I decided the benefits* outweighed the risks. I was terrified of getting the RRD at first but now I hope I'll only see it as an inconvenience. (queue getting apoplectic with rage if it happens tonight)

*oddly this was not LIVE as I'm not into gaming online and if I was more into it would probably have stayed with the ps3 as the thought of paying for the privilege just doesn't appeal.

re: which size hard drive to buy I'd have to say the 120GB. 60 is fine but it does fill up suprisingly quickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#Comparison_of_features

Difference between them. If you are happy having 20gb hardrive, just go for the arcade. 150 or 160 around the place now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

GameStop are very expensive.

AFAIK, HMV are still doing an offer on the Elite. You get an Elite console, 2 Controllers and Resident Evil 5 for 264.99. Picked mine up about 3 weeks ago in Blanchardstown. Now, THAT is a bargain.

However, if you don't want an Elite, head to Xtra-Vision and pick up a 60Gb Premium, Mirror's Edge and Dead Space for 199.99.

They seem to be the two best deals at the moment. Hope this helps!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

OP, if you are actually asking should I get an Xbox over a PS3 cos i only want one games console, then consider these as my list of pros and cons.

Xbox pros:
    * Cheaper than PS3
    * As its older than PS3, wider array of games but many excellent multi platform games have DLC (downloadable content) only available on Xbox and not PS3. (E.g. Fallout 3)
    * Xbox marketplace is excellent, watch movies, download arcade games etc (many older retro arcade titles are available there)
    * Achievements are a fun value add to games.

Cons:
    * Red Ring of Death (RROD) is a common issue altho MS do repair it for free for upto 3 years after console purchase. The repair service is hassle free. (they send a courier to you) Its common on the older machines, the latest xbox is supposed to be hassle free
    * Xbox live costs €60 per year (altho you can get cheaper subscriptions on eBay etc) where as the PS3 equivalent is free
    * Xbox doesnt currently have a blu ray player accessory whereas its built in to the PS3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

faceman wrote: »
    * Achievements are a fun value add to games. (No achievements on PS3)
    The PS3 has an equivalent system called Trophies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Mr E wrote: »
    The PS3 has an equivalent system called Trophies.

My mistake, updated my post

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,387 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thanks a bunch for the replies folks :)

Think i'll go for the 60GB one.

We already have a ps3 in the house, its stopped reading blue rays and discs of any sort for some reason....this a common problem? Out of bloody warranty too,they only give one year afaik :mad:

Thanks for the replies

Liber8or wrote: »
    GameStop are very expensive.

AFAIK, HMV are still doing an offer on the Elite. You get an Elite console, 2 Controllers and Resident Evil 5 for 264.99. Picked mine up about 3 weeks ago in Blanchardstown. Now, THAT is a bargain.

However, if you don't want an Elite, head to Xtra-Vision and pick up a 60Gb Premium, Mirror's Edge and Dead Space for 199.99.

They seem to be the two best deals at the moment. Hope this helps!
    Yea Im leaning towards the 60gb or 120gb versions, as I like the idea of saving about 5 of the games I would play onto the hardrive.

The XtraVision deal is tempting... but I would never play either of those games. I could trade them back in get a decent game instead and maybe pick up the memory unit I need for transfering my gamesaves.

Not a huge fan of the black Xbox, so the 120gb hardrive is the only appealing feature of Elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Yunalesca

Get the xbox and get the elite if you really want to shell out.

I agree that the noise of the xbox is like a small plane trying to take off in your sitting room, but it's bearable. Also most games are multi format now so there's abosolutely no point in buying the PS3 unless you're a hardcore fan of a title that you know sony has one way rights to. It's cheaper than the PS3 and it already has a huge online community as well so I think really it's the smarter option.

Also don't be surprised if it breaks down coz that's just microsoft... you should get a gaurantee with it. Keep it, just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Not a huge fan of the black Xbox, so the 120gb hardrive is the only appealing feature of Elite.

Looks slick nestled beside my ps3 and black tv!

:p

Advertisement