Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarians

Options
  • 28-06-2009 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

I just want to say, that I have great respect for all vegetarians. Giving up meat and fish is such a huge task, and it baffles me how each of ye do it! All of ye should be so proud and WELL DONE for doing this!!!:D:D

YE'RE SUPERB!!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Mayoegian wrote: »
    I just want to say, that I have great respect for all vegetarians. Giving up meat and fish is such a huge task, and it baffles me how each of ye do it! All of ye should be so proud and WELL DONE for doing this!!!:D:D

its not a huge task at all, quiet easy when u know its what u want. but thanks for happy thoughts! :)

do you want to be a vegetarian and find it hard or was it just a thought that popped into your head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

maameeo wrote: »
    its not a huge task at all, quiet easy when u know its what u want. but thanks for happy thoughts! :)

do you want to be a vegetarian and find it hard or was it just a thought that popped into your head?

I was thinking about becoming a vegetarian, but whenever I think about it, it seems really hard! I have ham sandwiches, meat for dinner etc. and what would I replace that with? I love animals and whenever I pass a farm I just feel sorry for the animals in it, that will probably end up on a dinner plate someday. There's something bad about killing animals-'We're all God's creatures' and I think we have a resposibility to look after creatures that are more vunerable than us-animals. There's another issue-Im 16 so I'm still growing and I'm afraid that if I give up meat now, my growth will be affected, or something.:(

There's another issue-Im 16 so I'm still growing and I'm afraid that if I give up meat now, my growth will be affected, or something.:(

I've been a veggie since I was 10 and at 5ft 9. I growed up just fine. :)

If you find the idea of veggie meals difficult. Why don't you have a meat free day. And find nice things to make for yourself on the internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I've been a veggie since I was 10 and at 5ft 9. I growed up just fine. :)

If you find the idea of veggie meals difficult. Why don't you have a meat free day. And find nice things to make for yourself on the internet?

Yeh!!!

That's a great idea!!!! Thanks for that-I could wean myself into vegetarianism!!!!!!!:D

Thank you Moonbaby!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Not a huge task if it's something you want to do. :)

And giving up meat and fish doesn't stop you from growing! I've been a vegan since I was 13, and a vegetarian from a year before that, and while I am only 5'2", I was an awful lot shorter than that when I was twelve! But the whole stunted growth/lack of nutrients thing is a myth. If you want to stop eating meat, go for it! There are lots of great vegetarian recipes out there, not only in vegetarian recipe books, but in normal recipe books, and on the internet.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

No need for the praise, I have no choice when it comes to eating meat, I simply can't do it. I'm simplifying of course but I don't think we deserve a 'well done'.
    There's another issue-Im 16 so I'm still growing and I'm afraid that if I give up meat now, my growth will be affected, or something.:(

My kids were reared as veggies, 16 year old son and 19 year old daughter are both 6ft ish and never sick. My daughter went over to the "darkside" (her phrase!) in her mid teens but still eats veggie most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I was thinking about becoming a vegetarian, but whenever I think about it, it seems really hard! I have ham sandwiches, meat for dinner etc. and what would I replace that with?

You can always buy ham-style veggie slices and veggie roasts to start you off with an easy to cook alternative ;) But still, going veggie generally broadens your diet and a great excuse to learn a bit more cookery skills. Plus, it's way better for your digestive system. A major plus in terms of health. If you trawl through past posts in this forum you'd have a great read :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I was thinking about becoming a vegetarian, but whenever I think about it, it seems really hard!
    It does SEEM really hard yes, but once you get into the swing of things it works out just fine:) i've been vegetarian for 2 years now and i find it gets easier all the time.
    I have ham sandwiches, meat for dinner etc. and what would I replace that with?
    There are plenty of ways to replace the nutrients you would have otherwise gained through eating meat. The stickies in this forum are only a tiny part of the information available out there.
    I think we have a resposibility to look after creatures that are more vunerable than us-animals.
    I agree with this myself and that animals should be cared for, yet i would have no problem destroying an animal that attacked me or someone i care about.
    Nah you're growth wont be affected at all, if you are male you normally stop fully growing by age 19-22, if female then 16-18. Growth is controlled by genetics, and inside your body cells called Osteoclasts eventually fill up the ends of your bones called growth plates making you fully grown, deficiencies in iron, calcium and certain other minerals can hinder this, but it can only be stunted in times of malnourishment or famine/starvation, and as a 16yr old in Ireland i would imagine you are quite ok:)

I am glad you decided to post here, hopefully looking through the information you will find can help you make a decision, whatever it may be...yet willpower is key in your choice. Don't do it because you feel pressured, make your own decisions, live your own life and feel good about you:)

Have a good day!

I was thinking about becoming a vegetarian, but whenever I think about it, it seems really hard! I have ham sandwiches, meat for dinner etc. and what would I replace that with? I love animals and whenever I pass a farm I just feel sorry for the animals in it, that will probably end up on a dinner plate someday. There's something bad about killing animals-'We're all God's creatures' and I think we have a resposibility to look after creatures that are more vunerable than us-animals. There's another issue-Im 16 so I'm still growing and I'm afraid that if I give up meat now, my growth will be affected, or something.:(

have you talked to your family? sometimes thats the hard part, i know my parents didnt understand when i told them, i was 12 at the time, and my mam didnt think i could be healthy without meat so she made me eat chicken for awhile!

as for replacing the meat, you cud start off with, as sweet rasmus said, ham style slices etc.
    i cant cook (and im 26!) so i rely a lot on 'fake meat' like quorn. and i sometimes get those fake meat slices for sandwichs (quiet like them actually!)
    you can get pretty much everything 'fake' now!! check out freezers in supermarket see if theres anything u like.

but i wudnt suggest u go eating these all the time, learn to cook veggie food, dont be like me!!! :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Look OP, I became vegetarian and if I can, anybody can. :)
    Seriously, meat was the only thing I ate growing up, I hated every single other food I can think of when I turned vegetarian at 18. I was sports training 7 days a week, sometimes more than once a day and all I had was meat and potatoes, and I couldnt even have potatoes without meat! I couldnt even eat without the texture of meat in my mouth. It forced me into a healthier diet, well eventually. hehe

At least I like a dozen vegetables now, and have eaten so many things I have ever heard of. The most recent food I hated that I now love is onion, yum! I can go through 2 a day easy. My meals back then were boring, I find that there is always some new vegetarian dish for me to try or for the missus to make me try. :D
    It makes meals exciting to me. If you find it difficult at first, meat alternatives are your friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Haha - you already sound like a vegetarian! :D

Very quickly, there are some great recommendations from the others here but I'd like to add that if you're worried about animal welfare, try and ensure that the animals/animal products you do eat/use at least were certified free range/humanely treated. For your own health, start by cutting out the heavily processed stuff - the hams, corned beefs, the stuff that looks nothing like what it came from. Start looking for organic produce, too.

Have a look here and see if you can help;
    http://www.ispca.ie/Policy-Farm-Animals.aspx

You also get lots of protein from pulses (peas, beans, lentils), nuts, seeds, grains (especially if you combine)...and other fab nutrients too. Quinoa and soy both have more protein than meat. And a helluva lot less saturated fat and toxins, which lodge in your fat cells and can affect you later in life.

If you need to get your parents on side, I recently was reading about people converting in their later years. One woman, in her 50's, turned veggie because 14 of her closest friends had cancer. The link between the (over) consumption of meat and certain killer conditions, like cancer, has been proved and the same study recommended eating meat only 3 times a week. (Still 3 times too much for me).

And don't forget that a veggie diet is still a better choice for the planet too (more efficient use of land, water, etc). And easier on yer pocket :)

Sorry, this is a bit patchy, kindof in a hurry here, but just had to get it out there. And Best of Luck, whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

For me what I miss the most are haribos and other sweets. But you forget about meat surprisingly fast, and soon enough you'll be thankful not to have a greasy film covering your mouth after every meal.... not that I had a greasy film over mine... ahem

raah! wrote: »
    For me what I miss the most are haribos and other sweets.

You do not need to live without!!! http://www.veganstore.co.uk/
    I brought some Haribo vegan cola bottles to the meet-up. At 85p a bag I think you should allow yourself a treat!

You do not need to live without!!! http://www.veganstore.co.uk/
    I brought some Haribo vegan cola bottles to the meet-up. At 85p a bag I think you should allow yourself a treat!

+1

I think they taste better than the "real" ones (although to me the real ones are a dim and distant memory so I could well be wrong!). Anyway, they're amazing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

-lala- wrote: »
    +1

I think they taste better than the "real" ones (although to me the real ones are a dim and distant memory so I could well be wrong!). Anyway, they're amazing.

These taste better imo, but don't ahve the chewyness of the others.

Who needs chewyness when you have fizz? :)

Ah the joy of eating something animal free? Totally worth it.

Ah the joy of eating something animal free? Totally worth it.

Exactly. :)

def a diff in the chewiness!!
    u know those strawberry shape jellies u get in cinema? theyve got pectin as gelling agent, theyre chewy!

Oh which ones are they? we can eat them?! Are they like the big red ones?

• Advertisement

Oh which ones are they? we can eat them?! Are they like the big red ones?

big red strawberry shaped ones that are quite hard, em well i hope they are ok, i just noticed they started to put ingredients on the pick a mix doors and these ones said pectin, no gelatin in sight! maybe someone else should check to confirm! ;)

ha, if its for def, we could go to the cinema as one of our outings! lol

transformers, vegetarians in disguise dodododo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

You'd be surprised where you can find veggie jellies. I was in a jelly shop in Berlin and for some reason, they had a huge range of veggie jellies. I'll admit I bought 2kg of jellies...

It's seriously not as hard once you've gotton used to the new diet.

Aoifums wrote: »
    You'd be surprised where you can find veggie jellies. I was in a jelly shop in Berlin and for some reason, they had a huge range of veggie jellies. I'll admit I bought 2kg of jellies...

It's seriously not as hard once you've gotton used to the new diet.

a jelly SHOP!!!
    like just jellies?? nothing else? omg deadly! :D

maameeo wrote: »
    a jelly SHOP!!!
    like just jellies?? nothing else? omg deadly! :D

Seriously, half my friends bought these huge jelly bears that were about double the size of my hand!!! The did so much business when we were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I'm gonna be traveling around the country next week, any really special places that I can pick up some nice veggie stuff that I should keep my eye out for? Sweet things like!

Seriously, half my friends bought these huge jelly bears that were about double the size of my hand!!! The did so much business when we were there.

right! im going to berlin!

/goes straight to ryanair's website

OH

MY

GOD

The forum is going to Berlin.

OH

MY

GOD

We so are!!! I would love to go back!!

Plus the whole thing was > €7 :p

EDIT: This is my hundreth (sp?) post :) Nice post to have too

• Advertisement

OH

MY

GOD

Berlin is throwing a massive party on my birthday this year :D
    20 years since the wall fell.

*hint*

Today I ate salad from my garden. *Puffs out chest* With Grilled Halloumi and aspargus.

Advertisement