Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending many emails from one domain

Options
  • 28-06-2009 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to develop something that will send a bunch of emails to many recipients, not spam, they're signing up for it. I'm limiting it at the moment to around 100 per hour, but that may increase. I know my current host won't allow me to send that many (they limit it to about 10 and then just start destroying the emails before they leave my site). Is this normal behaviour? Is it just a choice some hosts make and some don't? What is it really called - spam avoidance is how my current host put it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mick Regan

Hi corblimey,

If its an optin list then it is'nt spam. If its a double-optin list you're more than covered.

You should ask your host provider what's the max per hour they can give you based on the optin approach. From looking around it seems some go up to as much as 10,000 per hour.

10 an hour seems incredibly low - you might want to start looking around if that's their limit.

If you're stuck and chan't change providers there are email newsletter services that will do your mailshots for you. (They'll charge based on the size of your list.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Mick Regan wrote: »
    You should ask your host provider what's the max per hour they can give you based on the optin approach. From looking around it seems some go up to as much as 10,000 per hour.
    Yeah, my provider is a bit of a cheapie out of eastern europe :p, so I'm going to start looking, just needed to know what to look for. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

10 emails an hour is mental. That said, they're right to be spam-phobic, as Eastern Europe is rancid with spammers. If all their ip numbers end up on a spam list their business is fcuk'ed.

Personally, I wouldn't use a server in one of these countries for email because I have a funny feeling that spam guards would increase your spam score based on that alone.

That said, I've never seen savings that outweighed the difficulty of dealing with people in a different country when things break.

I agree, I got a special offer about 3 years ago and it's all gone swimmingly including a potentially arduous php upgrade about a year ago, but this is a potential deal breaker. I can see their point, but I can't use them for my host if they're not more open. Having said that, I never mentioned double opt-in to them, but I get the feeling from previous conversations that this setting is a hard and fast rule.

BTW, 10 is probably not the setting, I think it's based more on mails per second. I can send 1000 emails as long as I space them out a bit, but 1000 (or even 30) in a few milliseconds (which is what I need) and some go missing? Is this normal behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What method are you sending? - are you using a smtp component etc.?

I've seen hosts cap it at around 200-400 per hour.

For something like this I'd prefer using and IE or UK hosting provider.

• Advertisement

zAbbo wrote: »
    What method are you sending? - are you using a smtp component etc.?
    Standard php smtp component, I believe. I'm just using the mail function

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

You could use phpList to send your emails. You can specify how many seconds delay between each mail so as to stay under your host's hourly limit.

phpList also can track who opened your email and makes unsubscribing very easy.

Advertisement