Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill v's Pay as u go

• 28-06-2009 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I cant make up my mind and need help please!!

I am with Meteor pay as you go about 5 years and since unemployed need to make more day time calls so am considering going to a bill option, my pay as you go is an old plan so 40c per min day time and 13c per min evenings which is great when working but while im not its so expensive to make day time calls...
    I really like the nokia 5800 and to go with meteor its €49, and for the 300 mins and 80 texts plan its €50 a month +€5 insurance id probably need to buy an add on for more texts €7 for 150 more so monthly total €62 plus a few foreign texts. evening and weekend calls are free, but evening to meteor is after 8pm not 6!!!

O2 is €55 for 350 mins and 150 texts, free evening and weekend calls after 6pm so include their €6 insurance and same price for the 5800. monthly its €61 +few foreign texts.

So more texts with metor but 50mins more talk with O2 and O2 is free after 6pm so two more hours free talking....

so you'd think o2??? but carphone warehouse keep saying to go Meteor as O2 is crap to their customers etc, ive been with meteor a long time so maybe just afraid to move to o2 cause if i wanted to go back pay as you go with meteor id have to take their new plan wouldnt get the old one back...

Sorry this is so long but i've never had a bill before and just wondering if anyone can tell me why like the CPW man said Meteor would be better?? when o2 look a better offer to me...??

Thanks
    C

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

cgin wrote: »
    Sorry this is so long but i've never had a bill before and just wondering if anyone can tell me why like the CPW man said Meteor would be better?? when o2 look a better offer to me...??

Commission perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cgin

Yeah thats what i thought, independent my ass! still dont know which one to pick though :confused:

Yeah thats what i thought, independent my ass! still dont know which one to pick though :confused:

If o2 is the better deal go with it. I know what its like having to leave a legacy tariff when your used to it, but if you think the o2 plan will be good for you have faith.

Im not sure why he would say they treat their customers bad, o2 would have better customer service in my opinion.

Thanks im so indecisive … and I only want that phone … probably wont even be able to use it!! And he said o2 was bad because they give crap up grades and meteor are good to customer loyalty… but moving off peak to after 8 is a bit ryanair to me!

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've only rang o2 Customer Service a few times, but each time, the CSR on the other end was very friendly and able to sort out my queries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

02 has good customer service IMO and I believe its better than Meteors. I agree with the crap upgrades, I don't like their upgrades. I would go 02. They have better selection of phones and also if you log into the 02 website you can send free international texts. Great for saving if you're near a computer often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm in a similar bind...

On Meteor billpay for a while now (Talk 300 - Free calls and texts for life to other Meteor numbers), but also looking at switching to O2 as meteor's customer care sucks, the phone selection ain't great and the coverage can be iffy in my area.

So like the OP I'm looking at O2's Clear 350 Plan for €50 a month, 18 month contract and the Free any network texts. The only downside I can see is that there's no free O2-O2 calls (but I don't think I'd use 350 minutes anyway), and the Free texts ends after the contract is up. An extra plus here is I have an O2 account manager I deal with in work and he's been helpful with a few non-work queries in the past, but I started off with O2 anyway and found their customer care to be pretty good anytime I rang them.

I'd mostly text but I do tend to call the other half a fair bit and with her being on Meteor that's free. Course she'd move to O2 as well if that was the better option, but any opinions here? :)

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I'd mostly text but I do tend to call the other half a fair bit and with her being on Meteor that's free. Course she'd move to O2 as well if that was the better option, but any opinions here? :)

Clear sim €20 a month, unlimited o2 to o2 calls and texts. Both of you switch so always will be free calls and texts to each other at anytime. Use aft (cabbage texter) and o2 free webtexts for any texts to non o2 people. All you will be paying for outside the twenty a month is for calls to other networks which are charged at 25cent a min, so you could make 120 minutes worth of calls and break even at €50 a month. Depending on the internet usage would be 2or euro. A webtext will cost you about 2cent using a network connection, and free if you have wifi close by.

you lose the 150 texts after the year with o2???????

I find meteor customer service very good actually but maybe i dont need to use them much...

but its cool if you can international text from the website cause the 5800 has wifi on it so you could log in for free and send texts!!

still havent decided!!!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭ablelocks

cgin if you have an eircom landline you'd also get free anytime landline calls on that tarriff (assuming that offer is still going?)

It is still going yeah but part of the reason i want a bill phone is so that i can get rid of my landline... i wonder if i signed up with my eircom account and then cancelled it after signing up would they notice or would i still get free landline calls... meteor is supposed to be part owned by eircom now apparently thats why they are doing this offer...

I emailed o2 to see how much calls to africa were (my sister lives there) and on pay as you go they are 35c per minute and on bill pay they are €3.25 per minute!!! can you believe that! how does that make sense! meteor per pay is 50c and bill is 40c per minute... one up for meteor! its just this off peak after 8 thats still getting to me! And a friend told me even after his contract ended with o2 they made him pay €60 to get moved to pre paid!!

I think i have too much time on my hands!...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It is still going yeah but part of the reason i want a bill phone is so that i can get rid of my landline... i wonder if i signed up with my eircom account and then cancelled it after signing up would they notice or would i still get free landline calls... meteor is supposed to be part owned by eircom now apparently thats why they are doing this offer...

I emailed o2 to see how much calls to africa were (my sister lives there) and on pay as you go they are 35c per minute and on bill pay they are €3.25 per minute!!! can you believe that! how does that make sense! meteor per pay is 50c and bill is 40c per minute... one up for meteor! its just this off peak after 8 thats still getting to me! And a friend told me even after his contract ended with o2 they made him pay €60 to get moved to pre paid!!

I think i have too much time on my hands!...

Just get a prepay sim as well for making calls to Africa, yeah the pricing between billpay and prepay for international calls is silly, its 5c per min to ring China on prepay, 3.25 per min on bill

that 60 euro was probably your friends last months line rental, once youre out of contract all you pay is your final months usage

I wouldn't be to worried about the price, always much better savings to be had with services that actually are their for international calls. 13434.ie for one, 1call, skype and many many more.

well just to let ye know i stayed with meteor have the free day and night landline calls all weekend and after 8pm free and they'll let me back on my old plan after the year if i want!... have to say meteor are kinda cool, i like them and the nokia 5800 is deadly!

thanks for your help :o

Advertisement