Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

incompatible tv wall bracket

Options
  • 28-06-2009 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

hi,
    my daughter bought a new tv and as a bargaining chip had the wall bracket included in the deal;
    when the tv was to be mounted on the wall it was discovered that the bracket was incompatible with the tv;
    she returned to the shop and requested an appropriate bracket but the owner suggested she attach the bracket to the tv by means of two screws instead of the required four - chancer;
    she refused so the owner offered to contact the manufacturers/suppliers of the tv to enquire as to what bracket is suitable & he'll then contact my daughter;
    its a phillips tv and the bracket requirements would be enclosed in the box, not rocket science;
    the shop should know their business and should have provided a bracket "fit for purpose" in the first place;
    i know the shop owner & i reckon he'll give her the run around;
    he has two shops so its possible he already has an appropriate bracket in stock;
    the one he supplied was for a max weight of 20kg, which happens to be the weight of the tv;
    i don't have any confidence in the owner;
    what should my daughter do to bring this matter to a speedy conclusion in her favour?
    a newer, better version of the tv is available in arnotts for €100 less!
    thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

get her to bring back the TV and buy it in Arnotts?use the extra 100quid to buy a decent bracket?if you reckon he sucks just vote with your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I seriously doubt the shop will entertain a refund on the TV and why should they? The problem is with the mounting bracket, not the TV, plus, they don't have to refund the TV just because she can get it cheaper elsewhere. She can try but don't expect much.

I'd say her only hope is to persist demanding a suitable bracket from the shop or its equivalent value in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I seriously doubt the shop will entertain a refund on the TV and why should they? The problem is with the mounting bracket, not the TV, plus, they don't have to refund the TV just because she can get it cheaper elsewhere. She can try but don't expect much.

I'd say her only hope is to persist demanding a suitable bracket from the shop or its equivalent value in cash.

They sold her the TV and bracket as part of the deal - the bracket wasn't sold separately. So as a whole, what she bought wasn't fit for purpose. If he won't/can't replace the bracket with the appropriate one, she should look for a refund for the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

slimjimmc wrote: »

By the same argument, you could say the bracket is fine and the television is at fault. Either way, they don't work together, and since they were sold as a package, the whole package is unsuitable.

If they can't replace the bracket immediately on return to the shop, bring the whole lot back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

What does it say on the receipt?

Was just it just the telly she purchased and the bracket thrown in for free, if thats the case she can't really expect to get much from the owner apart from what hes doing at the moment, sourcing another bracket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    What does it say on the receipt?

Was just it just the telly she purchased and the bracket thrown in for free,
    Nothing is "free" everybody knows this, it was a package as mentioned. Otherwise you would have lads selling brackets for €1000 and throwing in a broken TV "for free" and then refusing to give a return on it.

But maybe some loophole does exists where the snakes can get away with it.

I do remember in the 80's when sunday selling restrictions were in place DIY shops would sell apples for £30 with a free drill thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

many thanks for the replies so far;
    to clarify, both tv & bracket are listed on the receipt, together with the term 'package deal';
    shop owner had promised to phone my daughter today but failed to do so;
    she's currently awaiting a reply to an email she sent to the tv manufacturer requesting details of the specifications of an appropriate bracket;
    when she obtains that information she'll present it to the vendor and request an appropriate bracket, if he hasn't rectified the problem before then;
    thanks again folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

When then she's entitled for it to be fit for purpose, as she purchased it in the sale.The shop should of checked everything before she left the shop.

Advertisement